It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:26 am 

###EDIT###The original thread starter has removed the first post... so this reply will seem a bit strange...

You are correct, the tank is much smaller than it used to be. That said, you SHOULD be happy because it is a miniature version of the old design and you seem to be OBSESSED with clinging to the past.

My advice would be to trawl E-BAY and find an ORIGINAL Grizzly because, quite frankly, that is really the only way you would be HAPPY. I would suggest that you also tried to find the other troop types on there because I can GUARANTEE that by now your repetitive SHOUTING is falling on DEAF EARS and holding people to ACCOUNT for what YOU don't want to see is more than a little bit arrogant.

You probably wouldn't like the new miniatures anyway because they would be in RESIN and they wouldn't have that OLD-SCHOOL feel of HIGH LEAD-CONTENT METAL.

Being polite, constructive and being able to compromise will work much better than demanding stuff by SHOUTING.

Thanks for listening 8-)

Last edited by Inso on Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 am 

Yawn...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am 

I prefer Bonner's version, to me, it is the Grizzly. The 24 crew, 30m long, 12m wide monstrosity is just the idle ramblings of whoever was making the fluff at the time. It sounds impressive, but it isn't terribly feasible if we want it to ever see the light of day in mini form (it would need to be, minimum 18" long). To me, it is easier to just keep Bonner's stunning piece and ignore the RPG stats for it.

Even in its new proportions, the Grizzly is larger than the freaking Maus (a 188 ton tank). This is something I can actually use on the table, this is something that is closer to matching the iconic artwork (few people think of the B&W piece when thinking Grizzly, not that that piece really gives a sense of scale either; nor does the Wolf for that matter). If we need a larger tank for the RPG then create a new monstrosity and call it a Kodiak, but by finally making the modelled Grizzly the same size as the Bonner-piece we have agreement between various art assets. All that needs to be done is to revise it down to about a dozen crew (or even just 8-10) and revise its size to 12m by 7m. Because outside of the measurements of the RPG the only piece of art of that thing that we can accurately scale is not nearly as big, and that same piece of art is the cover for the book it was introduced in.

A 30m long tank is not something you could field in a skirmish game. A 12m long tank is pushing it, but workable. Put me down for liking the new Grizzly's size and if we want a land cruiser we can make a new one up in the RPG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:39 am 

Last edited by Voxelapocalypse on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:35 am 

KillianDoyle wrote:
Yawn...

heh...your welcome

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

Durandal wrote:
I prefer Bonner's version, to me, it is the Grizzly. The 24 crew, 30m long, 12m wide monstrosity is just the idle ramblings of whoever was making the fluff at the time. It sounds impressive, but it isn't terribly feasible if we want it to ever see the light of day in mini form (it would need to be, minimum 18" long). To me, it is easier to just keep Bonner's stunning piece and ignore the RPG stats for it.

Even in its new proportions, the Grizzly is larger than the freaking Maus (a 188 ton tank). This is something I can actually use on the table, this is something that is closer to matching the iconic artwork (few people think of the B&W piece when thinking Grizzly, not that that piece really gives a sense of scale either; nor does the Wolf for that matter). If we need a larger tank for the RPG then create a new monstrosity and call it a Kodiak, but by finally making the modelled Grizzly the same size as the Bonner-piece we have agreement between various art assets. All that needs to be done is to revise it down to about a dozen crew (or even just 8-10) and revise its size to 12m by 7m. Because outside of the measurements of the RPG the only piece of art of that thing that we can accurately scale is not nearly as big, and that same piece of art is the cover for the book it was introduced in.

A 30m long tank is not something you could field in a skirmish game. A 12m long tank is pushing it, but workable. Put me down for liking the new Grizzly's size and if we want a land cruiser we can make a new one up in the RPG.

I believe the fluff came first. But its a simple fix, make two tanks in the fluff, one is the GBT-49A that we have in the model and table top and have the other be the GBT-49B or something, and thats the mobile fortress from the RPG.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:13 pm 

Last edited by Voxelapocalypse on Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

peacekeeper_b wrote:
Durandal wrote:

I believe the fluff came first. But its a simple fix, make two tanks in the fluff, one is the GBT-49A that we have in the model and table top and have the other be the GBT-49B or something, and thats the mobile fortress from the RPG.

The Grizzly was introduced in the RPG source book, that was also the first appearance of Bonner's piece. The tank's overall style and background, itself, is a reference to a design by Miyazaki which was improbably large and had things like a chef (cute model). But we will never know if the cover was commissioned and then the fluff written or vice versa. So as far as we can tell the two were simultaneous.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:30 pm 

Er... this is not very well known, but... the original design of the Grizzly was probably made neither by Bergting nor by Bonner.
Someone discovered that many, many years ago, Hayao Miyazaki designed a tank called Akuyaku #1 in his book DayDream Note. The Grizzly is an exact copy of that tank. Many fans started to guess if someone of the old MC illustrators "stole" the idea.

Look with your eyes:

Original drawing:
Model by Tasca:

As you can see here: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=238635, Grizzly as a model is way bigger; but the original concept (drawing, crew, structure...) is identical to Miyazaki's one.

Quite suspicious...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:57 pm 

The waethering-work is just WOW !