It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Pop-up Scorpion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 am 

When the Scorpion burrows, if there is no enemy model within 5" of the token can the Scorpion "Unburrow" anywhere on the board or must it always come back at the token?

Post subject: Re: Pop-up Scorpion
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm 

I just re-read the pdf of the Cybertronic section and for the Scorpion it states, "Treat the token as the nominated point for Rapid Deployment" so after it comes in initially and then burrows, the counter left after the burrow is where it will return if it comes back up. No re-deployment anywhere it wants on the field after it first hits the table. Looks like we played it right. Not sure if that last sentence is in the physical book, though.

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:46 pm 

It is there (kinda hidden by the page decoration), but the placement of the sentence makes it ambitious if the token is for all unburrow actions (as we played it) or just when forced by the presence of enemy models within 5".

I think we did it right, but I would like official confirmation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:07 pm 

Agreed, official word would be great!

Mark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:37 pm 

It doesn't really need clarification. It states 'at the beginning of the turn'. So first action the scorpion takes must be to burrow and therefore cannot fire and then burrow. Otherwise, if it were the other way you could put models on Sentry to wait for it to pop up. But as it is now, its like an unseen assailant model that keeps popping in and out, like a Blink Dog.

Imagine a whole unit of Ninja for Mishima like that!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:54 pm 

@Horned God - thanks for your post; it made me re-read the rule, which states:

Quote:
Active: Burrow: If none of the Squad are Engaged and at the beginning of the Squad Activation, for 1 Action Point per Model, the entire Squad can use the Burrow Special Skill.

Based on the underlined text, if the Squad is not Engaged at the beginning of the Squad Activation, then they can burrow. The implication is "as their first action" they can burrow. So, no pop up Scorpions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:49 am 

We're all still learning the system. I appreciate you and mark making those battle report videos. I like how you speed up the play but keep the whole game on video and don't, like most battle reports stop the video in between turns.

Michael I bet you can't wait for the EDD to come out to face down Mark's ORCA. You can say to Mark 'the only time I won't take one EDD is when I'm taking 2'. I'm sure when rocket launchers and other options become available that might change. I personally would not mind seeing those two models square off with each other.

I personally want to see some Banshees in action. I don't remember Mark using Banshee (did I miss them?). Does Mark have Banshees? I like the look of those Banshee models, and I bet Mark will do a sweet job painting them.

The other thing about WZR that is neat is the scenerios and how the points are calculated to win; I'm glad you guys add that type of stuff to the battle report to highlight it.

If anything, do a close up of the cards so we can see the cards you guys use, especially when you do advanced play.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:21 pm 

HG,

Nice catch on the Scorpions rule! Yes, lots of new rules to learn for all of us. Thanks for the compliment on the battle report vids. More will be coming soon. I used old 2nd edition Banshees in the second game.

Ref taking EDDs vs taking Orcas. Orcas are light vehicles so I can normally take one in a Standard OOC game. Capitol has a special TTA that allows me to dump one support slot in favor of a light vehicle slot. I could do that and take two squads of sharks but am fond of the Orcas and don't have two squads of sharks, yet. The EDD is a heavy vehicle and can only be taken in a Heavy OOC game, and as a squad of one-three in that OOC. I would begrudge Michael, or any other player, nothing at all if we were playing a Heavy OOC game and they showed up with more than one EDD. I'd be able to balance that with a Leviathan and multiple Orcas.

As a Cybertronic player, too, I'm looking for the right crack for this particular nut (two Orcas in a Standard OOC) game and I'm sure it's there. I'm also sure that each army has big stuff that's exploitable. Multiple Scorpions could cause much pain and disruption in the enemy. As soon as we find the crack for this nut I'll try something else, and then something else, and then something else. Gotta keep the enemy guessing :)

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:03 am 

I would put multiple Scorpions right up there with mass Purple Sharks in the "they only cost what and can do what" category...:)
IMO the Scorpions LD should be a bit lower so there's more chance to the Rapid Deployment roll. They already ignore the landing on models but with a 17 LD they have decent odds of landing on spot and unloading tons of shots or CC attacks. Believe me there's not much that will live after three Scorpions deploy next to your units!