It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:22 am 

Good list design is also a big thing and it always has been in most of the systems out there. How many times I have seen one army crushing other army every time until massive changes in the list were done. After that, both armies were pretty competitive. So one 1000pts army will not be necessarily competitive against another 1000pts army. That is just a nature of the games. As Jarek said few times WZR is designed with scissor-paper-rock concept in mind, so it will take some time to figure out what works against what. Putting a random list against another random list and saying one Corp always wins is not the best. I believe it will take much more time and changes in the list to finally figure out what works for certain play style against specific army. Time will show I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:55 pm 

For proper treatment of vehicles, look no further than Cyber's Support section. Unfortunately, we have far more good support options than we have clots available, and I'd really like to see some of them be able to be unlocked as troops- just like other special characters, where is an option to take a single squad of Mirrormen as troops? What about a Cuirassier squad with a Chasseur commander? Anyhow, I digress.

For dealing with a walker like an Orca (or even a Judicator or similar), Scorpions seem best. Just pop up in their rear arc within CCWR and rip in with the RoA3 AVV5 claws. You don't swat them strait up, so you'll be given cover for the turn and a free hit if they walk away. If you don't make CCWR, ttb a card to get a round of shooting in before an engage action.
Alternately, a squad of Mirrormen with 404 swords can carve up a large target, and with a whole squad they will have the opportunity to keep hitting back while the machine hits them. Catching any walker in CCWR is going to be dangerous against these guys.
The Cuirassier is a good unit to keep in range... that Ultrasonic Resonation will make your hits more effective by reducing those AV14 facings to AV12 (or worse if you've got a few of them). They pack RoA2, AVV3 hits in CC, and all their shooting weapons are AVV1 with a rail option on the TSW4000.

Enhanced Machinators are a good one against the shark swarm. With the Suppressor upgrade and their base weapons, they have the range and number of shots to put a dent in a shark, and if they make it to CCWR, again they have AVV3 fists. With their good agility, they are more capable than most of making it there.

In a fair fight, yes the Chasseurs will likely die to Sharks. However, is full use being made of the Mirage Generator? What about endurance-boosting upgrades like steel skin?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 pm 

ADG_Wraith wrote:
The Cuirassier is a good unit to keep in range... that Ultrasonic Resonation will make your hits more effective by reducing those AV14 facings to AV12 (or worse if you've got a few of them). They pack RoA2, AVV3 hits in CC, and all their shooting weapons are AVV1 with a rail option on the TSW4000.

UR doesn't work on Vehicles. Only on Armour Value (not Armoured Value).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:25 am 

The ORCA is suppose to badass, and personally I hope they make a Mark V one that has a flamer and autoshotgun, and perhaps in the imperial forcebook they can include at least one new unit for each force. Personally, I don't like the idea of forcebooks as it might end up with power creep if not done right, so imperial needs a forcelist comparable to the other already made force lists.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:11 am 

I highly doubt Imperial will be comparable to the Rulebook lists, it is an actual faction book. Over time all the factions will get a book, remember we are only at the beginning of WZR, there is lots left to do.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:36 am 

That is great to say and all but based on history of games other than 40k, the idea of having this stream of forcebooks put out in a timely manner and regular releases of models is for the most part a fantasy idea. Now, infinity has been good about putting out regular releases of models, and true Prodos could carry out a somewhat regular release, but even if they do, and they put out a bunch of units on paper, and say the game dies 5 years from now, who knows what will get created.

It is good long term thinking but unless there is a proven steady release of forcebooks, like every 5 or 6 months, a year is too long if you think about it.

I'm just being a realist and based on the fact we don't live in a vacuum but rather we have a real history of miniature games and can look at what actually gets produced. Otherwise it is only being optimistic but that can also lead to a bit let down.

the best thing to have is a wait and see attitude. Wait and see what they actually produce over the first year, what the imperial book has, and how quick the next one is, and if it turns out great THEN having an optimistic outlook is more realistic, otherwise it is just wishful thinking.

Think of a game like the last marvel RPG. When that came out people were loving it who bought into it and a year later crash and it was officially gone. Now, what will keep warzone resurrection alive? Sales most likely, and Paradox is not Marvel but they still want a certain return and I'd say if the game isn't doing so hot say 2 or 3 years from now (3 if your optimistic) then you can't be surprised if they call done on it. Then you'll be left with whatever models were produced, whatever books, and if there are only 3 forcebooks, then that is what you get. Its much like a game of musical chairs when the music stops. That is how it seems to work in the gaming industry and players who spend real money need to realize that.

Yet, if the game is produced in the right way, and so far it is with only small forcelists that can be expanded as new models are produced (thus adding new units) it should be all good. But when you release army books the expectation is it might include all manner of stuff on paper that don't have a model. Again, a wait and see attitude is essential. Let's see. Remember Warzone 2e they had an unpublished Mishima forcebook, which I've seen a copy of, along with many other almost produced works (like the spider-man guide for the MURG version of marvel rpg). There is a history of how games have come out, what they produced, etc. and to ignore that is to list in fantasy land with wishful thinking.

Beware what you wish for.....I'm not being a debbie downer, only a realist.

I can see what Prodos did: awesome models, and they proposed awesome new faction-specific templates. I think those are better than anything Target ever did, and wish they had done. So I have high hopes (along with probably the rest of you) that the game does take off, that prodos does expand the game in a timely manner not making us wait years upon years for something. Only time will tell though starting with this summer and will the game expand to the US or the rest of Europe via some other distribution. Until the game is listed with Alliance distributing in the US it really isn't part of most game stores radar, and until its sold in game stores it is only a game for hard core fans, not something the average gamer will take real notice of, thus why a promotion/demo team of you guys promoting locally will be very important, and prodos presence at major game cons. It all takes time and money, but if the game is accepted and you don't have a lot of people get in and then for some reason get burned by a slow release schedule or something like what happened with VOID, then the game should do well, otherwise, it will be like pulling teeth trying to get local game stores to invest in it, let alone players other than a few. It is a new world than 2000, and Warzone Resurrection has to compete with a good half-dozen new strong competitors for gaming money. From what I've seem with many of these is they seem to have their game on, so Prodos needs to bring its A-game too, it is that simple and straight forward; if the game is to live beyond only those who supported the KS and if the game will live more than just on the fringe.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:08 pm 

I totally agree with most of the points. But talking about the codices, I think Prodos' approach is quite different from GW's. First of all, the units for WZR will be released throughout the year like in Infinity. The advantage of WZR is that the new units have stat cards, so there is no need to release a codex with lots of new units in it and after that wait for miniatures. The stat cards have some fluff and all stats so much less work would go to codices. I think, and it is my personal opinion based on what I have seen so far, that Prodos is aiming at releasing new units with stat cards and miniatures and after w while releasing a codex with those units that would have only few new units in them, not a whole new list. So actually they could release new codices for every faction once in a few years within short time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 pm 

I also think that Faction-specific codices is not what is coming (unless I misunderstood something completely), rather they will have to release extra books with primarily Imperial and Illian now first, as they weren't included in the first one. Once every faction is out, they can just release a book covering all factions when they update the game. And, if they continue to provide Barebones Rules only lists as PDF, for the people who already own books with the fluff in it, or even just as rules updates, I believe that is a good thing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:12 pm 

However, this is offtopic... This topic is about Light Vehicles, and the disparity between factions.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 pm 

I spent a bit of time reading the Capitol TTAs that makes the Shark swarm possible.

66th “Hell-Riders” Aerial Support Battalion: Purple Sharks can be taken as ‘Troop’ or ‘Support’ instead of ‘Light Vehicles / Monsters’. Cost 30 Points.

While this still causes a massive amount of possible Sharks, should not this option also remove your option to field Purple Sharks as Light Vehicles/Monsters in the OOC? Tt states: Purple Sharks can be taken as ‘Troop’ or ‘Support’ instead of ‘Light Vehicles / Monsters’.

So if you chose this TTA you don't get to buy sharks with the "extra" purple shark slot from the Blue Shark (making it invalid) as well as invalidating the standard slot from the OOC to buy Sharks with (Still possible to field 1 Orca though)?

This would make the possible max to be 16 sharks with maximized troop squads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next