It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:34 pm 

Well, 6 Razides with (what I assume is) Nazgaroth could be called a hard counter to a Light Vehicle spam army :p

EDIT:

Guessing your army was something like this?

Warlord: Custom Psychic Warlord with some powers

Troops: 10 Undead Legionnaires
4 Valcheck, Necro Leader

Troops: 10 Undead Legionnaires
4 Valcheck, Necro Leader

Support: 2x Razides
Nazgaroth or Heavy Plaguedealer

Light Vehicle: Necrobeast Rider

Am I right :P?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:13 pm 

So, how about an Imperial counter-spam?

With the Martian Honour Medal an Imperial list can take a squad of Greyhounds in a support slot, which combines with their squad size of 4 to equal the number of Purple Sharks. Granted, the Greyhound costs twice as much, but it is also much more survivable with 3 SP in all slots but Engine and high AV all around with the lowest at 14 on tracks.

With the Acidic Gas Grenade Active it also becomes much more of a threat to vehicles at ranged combat. With its 19" range of combined 12" and FT it inches out the Purple Shark's 18", which also under the right circumstances can hit multiple targets. Its grenade/template rule also makes the Purple Shark's Turbo Jet rule ineffective, and at 14" or less a hit is virtually guaranteed. The gas cannon also works well against infantry, which is more likely to be clustered up and often have sub-par Con stats. Multiple Greyhounds in support of each other also provides a great counter against enemies trying to tie up a vehicle in CC, since another Greyhound can fire into the CC of clustered enemies with impunity as the Gas Cannon does nothing to the fellow vehicle.

Of course, as said, this is expensive, but if we consider a 1500 point battle, sinking 820pts into 8 Greyhounds doesn't sound like an alltogether bad idea. Add to this a bunch of Trencher squads to take objectives, plink away at anything that survives and provide resource cards for the Acidic Grenades.

Example:

Warlord: Custom Tech Warlord with Martian Honour Medal

Troops: 5 Trenchers, Raven Crag

Troops: 5 Trenchers, Raven Crag

Troops: 5 Trenchers, Kirkwood

Troops: 5 Trenchers, Kirkwood

Support: 4 Greyhounds

Light Vehicle: 4 Greyhounds

Adds up to a neat 1250pts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:48 am 

I've not seen it be a game of vehicle combat. Most armies will have one or two, maybe 3 if they run minimalist squads, from my experience. The problem is you keep trying to break the system, powergame it, cheese it. Just play for fun, we're playing with god damn toy soldiers.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:54 pm 

Technically would like that since if you look at that list and you put in 4 greyhounds or 3 ORCA or whatever your doing. That is big cash money $$$$.

I play with what I own and so do most people so the true limit of what you field is not in your fantasy made up lists but in what you can put on that table. If you want to put 4 Hurricane Walkers in your army you better buy them, paint them.

Personally, I normally buy 2 of a model like the Orca or Meka. I like them and in pairs they work nice. At most, I might own 3 thus 3 is the most I'd ever field.

Until you put your money where your mouth is, it is just a list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8