It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Army composition
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm 

I'm glad to see Lesser and Greater squads are gone, but am I correct in thinking that you can only have a maximum of 4 squads in your army? The new rules mention the maximum is four, is this the case? If so, I see that significantly limiting the size of games that can be played.

Last edited by wargame_junkie on Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Army compisition
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:39 pm 

It is a skirmish game, but I understand the concern. You can always choose to double the restrictions as a house rule for bigger games. Which is what I plan on doing!

Post subject: Re: Army composition
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:02 am 

Thanks for the clarification! I think that will be a house rule for when my group plays. We like to see and push pretty figures around the board, so even in second edition our games were on the larger side. 1000 point games were the norm, and even when we play Warmachine, our games tend to be 75-100 points.

I would suggest Prodos offer another composition scale for those who want larger games, but I get it if they want to keep the games smaller.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 am 

I agree an official option for larger forces would be great!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:47 am 

I expect that will depend on how the rules balance out in the end.

If Jarek, Mark, and co. feel the game tiers up well into larger games, I'll sure they'll give us a method to do i (I mean, why wouldn't they, that'll just sell more models, right?)

If they feel the mechanic they want to use seems to favor more "intimate" play levels, then they'll probably opt to keep the rules for smaller skirmishes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:14 am 

And of course, keep in mind that minimum sized squads are 3-5 for most things. But squads can be up to 12 strong for some standard infantry.

In a game with alternating activation, it can be good to be strict on slots to deny people the ability to mob up (unless they go with activation ratios like some other games).

So a large Warzone game may simply use the same slots but max-sized squads. Instead of 4 squads of 5 infantry you may be fielding 4 squads of 12.

Either way, this edition certainly seems like it will scale up better than previous ones.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:40 am 

I would hope it scales up; I'm part of the group that prefers to play larger Warzone games.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:41 am 

Mark wrote:
I would hope it scales up; I'm part of the group that prefers to play larger Warzone games.

So, you prefer not to play WZR? (SCNR)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:25 pm 

I always liked the last version's force structure. 2 "grunt" squads gives you a "heavy support" unit. You could have one "elite" squad for every "grunt" squad.

Fallen Scholar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:21 am 

Astijan wrote:
Mark wrote:
So, you prefer not to play WZR? (SCNR)

I don't understand the question? Any game should be possible with either minimal units or a large army. How it scales is another issue. Really Warzone should still be playable with 30-40 models (we had some games this big in old school Warzone) although generally we'd field about 20.

I also was happy with the X grunt units per X elite units as a previous poster stated. There shouldn't be a maximum of core units (for Cybertronic this would be People's Volunteers and Chasseurs; for Imperial Trenchers and Regulars or Wolfbairn).