It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Army composition
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:23 am 

I think it should scale up alright. I played AT-43 back when that was still kicking and it worked just fine at larger points games with large numbers of models on the table, so I don't see how this won't.

fallenscholar wrote:
I always liked the last version's force structure. 2 "grunt" squads gives you a "heavy support" unit. You could have one "elite" squad for every "grunt" squad.

Fallen Scholar

Same here. The "you can't have more elites than basics and more individuals than squads" set-up worked perfectly in my opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:36 am 

Mark wrote:
Astijan wrote:
Mark wrote:
So, you prefer not to play WZR? (SCNR)

I don't understand the question? Any game should be possible with either minimal units or a large army. How it scales is another issue. Really Warzone should still be playable with 30-40 models (we had some games this big in old school Warzone) although generally we'd field about 20.

I also was happy with the X grunt units per X elite units as a previous poster stated. There shouldn't be a maximum of core units (for Cybertronic this would be People's Volunteers and Chasseurs; for Imperial Trenchers and Regulars or Wolfbairn).

Looking at the army composition rules already given and counting 6 models per heavy infantry unit (that would be a guess) I already come to 70 models on the table if I max my army rooster out.

WZR is a skirmish game in which I'm issueing separate actions to every single model. To me 70 models are far fetched for such a game. But if 70 models is not nearly enough - cause again I wouldn't make a fuss at all, if I were to play with 10 models less than I'm used to at this ratio - at least to me that sounds like the wish to play a different game than this. Granted most likely it should have the same name, but different rules nonetheless. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:12 pm 

Just to play devils advocate it would be beneficial for Prodos to have optional rules for mass units/battles as they will get more money by selling more minis especially needed when producing plastics the molds as they are expensive to start with but you can produce more & quicker than resin so only starts to make more money when you sell lots.

This then gives people the option of a quick skirmish game in the evening or a full battle front on a full-day/weekend game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:32 pm 

I agree with the comments on Mass-Battle, but I think Prodos are tackling the skirmish side of things first. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:37 pm 

rob_alderman wrote:
I agree with the comments on Mass-Battle, but I think Prodos are tackling the skirmish side of things first. :)

True, one step at a time.

Speaking to Jon from GZG once, said that there's no money for him in making new rule sets due to the cost of production, editing, proofreading, printing etc, but there was in making new spaceships & figure, much to the frustration of his fan base who were waiting for the new stats for the new spaceships he was producing. Which was a shame for Full Thrust, Dirtside & Stargrunt.

We all get a bit spoiled with the new rulesets which have come out over the last few years full colour well layed-out full of eye-candy ie the latest one from Tomorrows War and Dropship commander 15mm & 10mm games but we forget the effort to get a good working ruleset and cost to produce these, that's why the beta testing is crucial for hopefully getting a well balanced Skirmish and hopefully mass battle game.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm 

semai99 wrote:
Just to play devils advocate it would be beneficial for Prodos to have optional rules for mass units/battles as they will get more money by selling more minis especially needed when producing plastics the molds as they are expensive to start with but you can produce more & quicker than resin so only starts to make more money when you sell lots.

This then gives people the option of a quick skirmish game in the evening or a full battle front on a full-day/weekend game.

I agree. Once they get the rules as is done and set and the game on the market I think the first expansion book(I assume there will be expansion books) can introduce a new faction(Capital if we don't reach that goal, Mishima or Imperial if we do) as well as new rules for doing mass battles.

That, in my humble opinion, would be the best way to handle it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 pm 

semai99 wrote:
rob_alderman wrote:

True, one step at a time.

Speaking to Jon from GZG once, said that there's no money for him in making new rule sets due to the cost of production, editing, proofreading, printing etc, but there was in making new spaceships & figure, much to the frustration of his fan base who were waiting for the new stats for the new spaceships he was producing. Which was a shame for Full Thrust, Dirtside & Stargrunt.

We all get a bit spoiled with the new rulesets which have come out over the last few years full colour well layed-out full of eye-candy ie the latest one from Tomorrows War and Dropship commander 15mm & 10mm games but we forget the effort to get a good working ruleset and cost to produce these, that's why the beta testing is crucial for hopefully getting a well balanced Skirmish and hopefully mass battle game.

We are spoilt as a community. People really do not know how much it costs just to put rules together, let alone the rest. I don't blame GZG for that decision.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:26 am 

I'm sure the game will likely scale up just fine. I for one am for the moment content with a smaller scale skirmish game...it means I may actually get my forces totally painted for once in my life.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 am 

Gridge wrote:
I'm sure the game will likely scale up just fine. I for one am for the moment content with a smaller scale skirmish game...it means I may actually get my forces totally painted for once in my life.

You do realise you will die if you have all your figures painted :shock: :shock: thats why we have so many unpainted :roll: of course this means that I'm going to live well into the next century looking at my unpainted pile ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 am 

I'm aiming for the next millenium!

I would like to have a fully painted collection of WZR miniatures though!