It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:45 am 

Kurt_R wrote:
Strategy Cards are played between Activation Phases which is different from when Gear and Tactical cards can be played thus the distinction.

Oh forgot Gear cards do stay but think are limited to how many in play...been awhile since I read through the Advanced Rules.

The Control Phase allows you to Turn to Burn for extra cards (if below 5) so you can do it then or later in the Game Turn.

Yes, but they can be played even before the first squad activation.

You cant turn to burn to draw extra cards in the control phase itself - but you can do so between squad activations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:39 am 

Thanks for the answers so far. Things are beginning to clear up a bit.

1&2. Once a Strategy card is in play, no other Strategy card can be played. The card and any associated tokens will be removed in the control phase of the next turn. Check.

3. The rules seem to be clear that all Tactics cards are removed and their effects go as well, as long as it's not explicitly stated otherwise. I fail to see the point of cards like Promoted and Demoted at this point. Bummer, but I'll just leave them out of my deck in that case.

4&5. As I read it now, you get the 1 free card each turn, regardless of your current hand size. In the Control phase and between squad activations, you can Burn 1 to draw an extra, if you have less then 5 cards currently in hand.

As a separate topic, I really don't like the strict reading of "Between squad activations" and "between model activations". It seems extremely weird that the player with Initiative in a turn wouldn't have the first opportunity to place a Strategy card. Similarly, how would this work with Gear cards and squads consisting of only one model? If I activate my Warlord, that means I wouldn't be able to play a Gear card on him and benefit from if during that activation? That just seems wrong...

Luckily, I've found some evidence for a different reading. See the chart at the start of the chapter called "The Game". The arrows flow straight from the Control Phase into "Play Strategy card", indicating that a strategy card can be played before the first squad activation. Similarly, the arrow from "Nominate a squad to activate" can pass through "Play tactical and/or gear cards" before it goes to "Activate a model from activated squad".

Checking that chart a bit further though, I think there are flaws. From a strict reading of the chart, you could only play Strategy cards before the first squad activation. The arrow on the left (all models in the squad are activated) skips "Play Strategy card" and goes straight to "Nominate a squad to activate"... If you don't play one straight away, your chance for that turn is over? :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:01 pm 

Found a image of the card, reading it I would say that it is a permanent change as it states that the target "becomes". Since the onyl way to mark a Squad Leader is at the beginning of their deployment when you nominate one this should just shift that nomination.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:02 pm 

I distinctly seem to remember the discussion about Strategy Cards concluding that you CAN play Strategy Cards even if you are first to act. Anything else would be silly. This is the problem with facebook, as I cant find the post now to confirm...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:26 pm 

Ok, and what about my question? In advanced rules there is only information about cards quantity based on warlord type. Does it mean, that suqad commanders do not generate cards in advanced games?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:29 pm 

The only thing that generates Resource Cards are:
1: Warlords
2: Troop Squad Commanders

This counts both in Basic and Advanced games.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 am 

Could you quote where it is mentioned that commanders give cards in advanced games?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 am 

There is no such quote in the rulebook. The Advanced Game rules use the Basic Game rules in all instances where no Advance Rule overrides the Basic Rules. In the case of Resources the Advanced Game Table for Warlords replaces the Basic Game table for Warlords, but no rule replaces the Squad Commander rule so they are still valid. Otherwise the Advanced Game rules would be broken as they lack the complete rules to actually use the cards in a game.

I do remember a post on Facebook where this was confirmed, but I'm not able to search it out right now as that is a few months back. There should be a topic on this forum from ~Januari that goes into it as well. I will try and search it out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:52 am 

Here we go, this post and the answer in it from Prodos explains the Resource Cards.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1147&hilit=resource+cards+squad+commander&start=50#p11731

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 am 

Well... "Otherwise the Advanced Game rules would be broken as they lack the complete rules to actually use the cards in a game" - that would be true, but the advanced rules give detailed information about card rules. You could play it if you didn't read basic rules. The answer in the link you copied is also from you not confirmed with any quote. And if that is true, please quote where rulebook says that "The Advanced Game rules use the Basic Game rules in all instances where no Advance Rule overrides the Basic Rules."

In my opinion the advanced games do not count commanders for cards amount, you use just these given by warlords.

I know that the rulebook is poorly written, but that should encourage designers to make faq as fast as possible. But they do not do it.