It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:14 am 

I'll be playing my first Advanced game tonight. While reading over the rules and selecting my deck, I came across a few issues:

1. The rules say only 1 Strategy card can be in play at any time and that it leaves play during the control phase. Does this mean that the player with Initiative has the first chance to play a Strategy card, and when he does his opponent cannot play any Strategy cards that turn? Or does it mean that when the second player plays a Strategy card, the first Strategy card leaves play?

2. If it's the latter (a Strategy card 'overwrites' any previous strategy card in play) what happens with any tokens and effects that were produced by the first Strategy card?

3. The rules say any Tactical cards are discarded at the end of the turn. My Capitol deck has some cards that seem like they should have a lasting effect. A card such as promoted says that the Acting Squad Commander turns into a proper Squad Commander. Is this effect only for one turn (since the Tactical card leaves play at the end of the turn), or will this effect stick even though the card is discarded.

4. Every turn, each player must draw one card and can burn resources to draw extra cards. Can I draw the mandatory card if I already have 5 cards in hand? Can I burn to draw an extra card, even if I already have 5 cards in hand? It seems that way, since the rules state that you have to discard after drawing, if you ever reach more than 5 cards. However, in the bullet list on the next page it says you can only draw extra cards if you have less than 5 currently. It doesn't say whether this is also the case for the 1 mandatory draw at the beginning of the turn.

5. When can I draw extra cards? The initial mention of drawing extra cards is under the header "Control Phase", but the bullet list on the next page says I can draw cards between any squad activation. Is it both?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:20 pm 

I would like to see answers for it too. It is quite unclear.
Also, in the advanced cards section, the number of cards is shown as it depends only on warlord type. I haven't found there any info about commanders.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 pm 

1&2. The Strategy Card, any card tokens, ect. would be removed first since the Control Phase takes place before initiative.
Strategy Cards can only be played between squad activations so if you win initiative and activate first you can't play a Strategy Card too.

3. Card tokens or effects only last the Game Turn unless otherwise mentioned. So "Promoted" would net you all the benefits of having a SC for the current turn then go away in the next Control Phase.

4&5. You draw one in the Control Phase but the max is still 5 and thus one card (you pick) is immediately discarded if you already had 5 cards. You can "Turn to Burn" for extra cards only if you have less than 5 in the Control Phase or between Squad Activations.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 am 

Kurt_R wrote:
1&2. The Strategy Card, any card tokens, ect. would be removed first since the Control Phase takes place before initiative.
Strategy Cards can only be played between squad activations so if you win initiative and activate first you can't play a Strategy Card too.

3. Card tokens or effects only last the Game Turn unless otherwise mentioned. So "Promoted" would net you all the benefits of having a SC for the current turn then go away in the next Control Phase.

4&5. You draw one in the Control Phase but the max is still 5 and thus one card (you pick) is immediately discarded if you already had 5 cards. You can "Turn to Burn" for extra cards only if you have less than 5 in the Control Phase or between Squad Activations.

1&2. I think you might be somewhat wrong about this. It does not remove tokens unless specifically instructed to by the card giving the token, or rather, the card gives the instructions on what to do with the token. That's why it says;

P 32. bottom left
"This Phase is used to discard Cards and tokens (as appropriate)"
(emphasis mine)

Also, Strategy cards can be played if you are first to act, as technically you are "between squad activations". Between squad activations in this case only refers to the fact that you cannot play a Strategy card once you have already activated a squad. That means that I cannot activate a squad, do some actions with a few models, and then use a strategy card, then use some other models. It has also been stated that the person who are about to activate a squad has priority in playing Strategy Cards. Thus, when it's time to activate a squad, the person who are about to activate should either use a strategy card, or pass priority (for you MtG players).

3. I don't remember what the text on promoted is, could you update me?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:49 am 

Point #3 is in conjunction to Points 1&2 so normally tokens are removed in the Control Phase unless a card supersedes it.

Also it was clarified on the WZR Facebook Page that you can't play a Strategy Card if your the first to activate a squad in the Activation Phase since you are only between activations after the first one (pg.59 PDF Rules 1.1). BTW This is not the same as activations from within the squad but the Phase itself.

Last edited by Kurt_R on Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am 

I don't remeber the Promoted cards wording exacly. But from what I remember the wording should mean that it is not a temporary effect rather a permanent change to the squad. Anyone got the exact wording? The thumb rule though is that effects go away as previously stated if nothing else is stated.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:33 am 

I would say card effects go away unless the card states otherwise since normally all gear, tactical and strategy cards get removed during each control phase. Usually the cards are pretty good about stating (especially with tokens) effects that last throughout the entire game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:35 am 

Kurt_R wrote:

1) strategy cards normally dont leave play and are valid till the end of the current game turn. you cannot play a strategy card if one is already in play. Effects created by cards should also dissipate at the end of the game turn (including tokens etc.) unless stated otherwise. See Buff-Powers @ Psi for similar rulings.

2) obsolete, but I´d like to argue that the player with the initiative cannot play strategy cards in their first activation. The same wording is used for tactical cards "between individual model activation" - which would mean the first model in any squad would never profit from a tactical card. I think the next sentence clarifies this:
"The player which will Activate the next Squad may choose to play a Strategy Card before the enemy player."

3) This reads as it was intended to last. Unfortunately, it does not. For it to have a lasting effect, "Promoted" should have been a gear card.

4 & 5) You draw one card in the control phase, no matter how many cards you have in hand, then immediately discard down to 5 cards. Between squad activations, you can t2b to draw only if you have less than 5 in hand - but you can also t2b to discard any card between squad activation, so if you have 5, just t2b two to discard and draw.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:38 am 

Kurt_R wrote:
I would say card effects go away unless the card states otherwise since normally all gear, tactical and strategy cards get removed during each control phase. Usually the cards are pretty good about stating (especially with tokens) effects that last throughout the entire game.

Not Gear. Whereas Tactical and Strategy cards entries both say, the respective card is removed at the end of the game turn, gear cards specifically leave this out and even state they are not normally removable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:02 am 

Strategy Cards are played between Activation Phases which is different from when Gear and Tactical cards can be played thus the distinction.

Oh forgot Gear cards do stay but think are limited to how many in play...been awhile since I read through the Advanced Rules.

The Control Phase allows you to Turn to Burn for extra cards (if below 5) so you can do it then or later in the Game Turn.