It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Movement modifiers
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 am 

Here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1087&sid=c0556b16f3a912e36723fc181017bf58#p10390

Clarified here that a model can never move further than twice its modified Movement Value.

So When a modification is done to a Movement Value it is mathematically done like this:

Legal maximum distance: (M+modifier)x2

So a Undead Legionarie within 12" from Golgotha would get

(4+1)x2 = 5x2= 10 in maximum distance travelled. (Even though they can not run without advanced game card, remember they can still engage at x2.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:03 am 

Please read my example again.
There is a difference between Movement Value modifiers and Movement modifiers.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 am 

I know, but going by what Rob said from the link above.

rob_alderman wrote:
You can never move more than twice your Movement Value.

I think we should have defined this better.

You can never move more than twice your MODIFIED Movement Value. So a model that has it's MOVEMENT VALUE modified can move twice the modified value.
i.e. A model with a movement value of 5 gains a +1 modifier to Movement Value, this means it can move up to 12" per turn (MV:5+1x2)
However, if you recieve a modifier to movement, this only adds to the distance travelled. It still means the model cannot move more than double.

The only way to get the movement he states is by adding the modification to the Movement Value before you multiply, thus there should be brackets as per my example when a stat value is modified and then you multiply that new value should so be required.

() is performed before multiplication in mathematical rules so it is the only way I can see the above explanation work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:11 am 

I am not suprised if that was meant this way Pax wrote... The rules are very very very uncleary written. But what then gives us the movement modifier? Allows us to travel more on difficult ground only. I cannot see any other usage. But on diffcult ground this +2 is almost the same as +1 to Movement Value. Why make the rules more difficult?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:28 pm 

Grzech76 wrote:
I am not suprised if that was meant this way Pax wrote... The rules are very very very uncleary written. But what then gives us the movement modifier? Allows us to travel more on difficult ground only. I cannot see any other usage. But on diffcult ground this +2 is almost the same as +1 to Movement Value. Why make the rules more difficult?

Not only difficult ground, basic move actions will also benefit from movement modifiers. Rules are, in my opinion, not so unclear or difficult. As several have written before, some things modify your base stat and some things modify your movement actions (which are based on your M stat).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:27 pm 

Sebulba wrote:
Not only difficult ground, basic move actions will also benefit from movement modifiers. Rules are, in my opinion, not so unclear or difficult. As several have written before, some things modify your base stat and some things modify your movement actions (which are based on your M stat).

Yes, basic move action also has no difference if you have +1MV or +1M. For me, biggest benefit for those modifiers were for charge distance. If that stays the same then it is stupid thing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:27 pm 

Grzech76 wrote:

No. Basic movement modifiers also affects your total allowed movement per round. This is clearly shown in the example on page 27. If something gives a movement modifier it is applied after the movement is doubled. So +1 Movement (if we say MV is 5) would mean a model can travel a total of 11" during a run/engage action.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:21 am 

From Jarek on Facebook:
Quote:
The order is: passive skills affecting models all the time BEFORE any action is issued... then follow the Action description (MVx2 or LD\2 or others)

Right, undead legionnaires MV 4 with Passive: aura of dark symmetry, MV=5, with Passive leash MV=6... passive skills affecting models permanently, IF you ISSUE any action (run Engage) their MV=6, now as a model can travel up to 2×MV that is simple 12" Engage or 6" Move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 am 

Kollar wrote:
So +1 Movement (if we say MV is 5) would mean a model can travel a total of 11" during a run/engage action.

Not according to what Pax wrote.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:14 am 

Let us make a full set of examples.

Maximum Movement in 1 turn.

(Movement Value + Passive Movement Modifier) x2 = Maximum Movement

Example: Undead Legionnaries within 12" of Golgotha
M: 4, Passive M modifier: +1
= (4+1) x2 = 5x2= 10
Maximum Movement is 10 inches

Then as follows for a run Action with both a passive and a Active modifier.

Example: On the same Undead Legionnarie within 12 inches of Golgotha that also get the Movement of Calrity Card but have to move through light terrain.

(Movement Value + Passive Movement Value Modifier) x2 + Active Movement Modifier = Total Movement

M: 4, Passive M modifier: +1, Light Terrain= -2
= ((4+1) x2) -2= (5x2)-2= 10-2 = 8

You could simplyfy this by simply thinking that a effect that modifies the Base M value of a unit replaces that value on the card. This is the same as the above calculations but we already performed the passive modifier calculation.

Second example using a more simple unit

Example: Schnell! Schnell! Schnell! bonus on Hussars passing through Light Terrain
Effect: +1 modifier to Movement Value
Result: Replace M: 5 with M: 6.

Now when you count maximum movement distance you get:
Movement Value x2 + Active Movement Modifier = Total Movement
(Mx2)+ Active Movement Modifier = Total Movement
(6x2)+ -2 = Total Movement
12-2 = Total Movement
10 = Total Movement

For referense to the last example:
Maximum movement is: 6x2=12

Maximum movement - Total Movement = Remaning Movement
12-10=2

The Hussars have 2 inches left they could perform a engage action.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next