It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vehicle firing lanes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:35 pm 

Something that came up at GothCon that at least I found lacking was that there is no good limitations to a vehicles firing lane.

For example the Purple Shark is actually able to aim at anything within it's 180degrees front with it's mounted LMG, while it makes more sense that it should only be able to fire in a straight line in front of itself.

The only rule that I can find is this:

Line of Sight and Weapons range: The Line of Sight for all Vehicles, unless otherwise stated, is checked from the Ranged Weapon that is being fired. Range is measured from the Base/Footprint to the Target’s Base/Footprint.

Jet Bikes and Hoverers always ignore Light Cover Modifiers when making a Ranged Attack.

The only thing we get from above is that if the LOS passes through the vehicle itself it is restricted and that otherwise it has the full front facing...

I was expecting something more like this:

Edit: Realized that it would been easier to just state that:
The Bike got a mounted weapon that is not turn able.
The walker got a arm mounted weapon

Post subject: Re: Vehicle firing lanes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm 

Well... putting apart that vehicles in this game look differently than up to date vehicles of its type, the bike having mounted gun on its steering / front that is capable of turning can easily give wider arc than you described.
Walkers also should turn their body at least some degrees that combined with weapons that can also turn should easili give wide arc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:38 am 

I agree, the possibility to turning let you move the arc. But that is also covered within the movement rules with pivoting. Since you need to make a movement action to be able to pivoted 45/90/180 degrees in base else the vehicle is facing forward, especially for bikes and jet bikes/purple sharks even more this should limit their strength.

Walkers get a free pivoting of 90(light)/45(heavy) so they can use that to turn but many others do not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58 am 

But pivoting means turning in order to move in other direction. If you just turn your body, not legs for walkers. turn the machineguns on front not wheel for bikes it is different thing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:30 am 

While yes you use the pivoting in movement it is not just related to moving forward. If you wish to turn around a model 180 degrees on the spot you still need to use a Move action to do that.

For a light walker wanting to turn 180 degrees to fire on something behind it need to spend 2 actions on a Fast Movement to be able to fullfill the full 180 degrees turn. (90 Free + 90 from Fast movement). To just stand still and fire at something 90 degrees to its left it can just use its free pivoting, but few of them are able to twist their upper body from what I have seen. :)

So a limitation to how the front facing of the vehicles looks should still be possible and work with the ordinary rules as well as make certain types of weapons more useful than others...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 am 

I would say that it is an abstraction for the purposes of balance. Otherwise you would get people who convert their guns into other places for benefits. Im fine with that abstraction to be honest. Remember also that the vehicle in reality might be firing during the move-action it just did, though for gamepurposes it fires in a separate action.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:22 am 

Well... it couldn't be any benefit of conversion if every unit of vehicle had it firing ranges in their profiles (like - Firing arc of HMG is 90 degrees in front, Flame thrower 180 degrees to the left and right etc) best in diagrams to avoid confusion :-)

How it is now it is just simplification and I like it.