It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:27 pm 

Any chance of a more streamlined version of the game? I have the rulebook and have been reading over it for the past week and I like it for the most part but there are many things that seem overly complicated for no reason. And the units have way too many special abilities. Is there a chance that a WARZONE BASIC pdf can be made for a very basic introductory version of the game that groups who want to use these miniatures and for the most part these rules could use to play the game? I know my group is shying away from this game because of all the extra details and needlessly complicated or overly awkward rules. These are great rules for those who want to be really detailed and involved and absorbed into the rules. But they are a deterrent to casual gamers who want to just play something simple and fast.

Also the rules tend to (IMHO so far) go against any sort of large battles as with that many units, figures, special abilities and so forth it seem the system would just pile up and collapse on itself.

For Warzone Basic I would cut down on the special abilities (each unit only really needs 2 or 3 maybe at most 5 for really elite units). Streamline vehicles and their rules and remove squad special actions.

But then, maybe I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:03 am 

I don't know... Honestly I like the "complexity" of the game, it makes Warzone something better that the usual miniature wargame.

But I do agree with you that it is a game for "true wargamers" and a streamlined version of the game would be nice for newbie. Maybe a "Blood Berets" like board game would work well for this purpose.

I would be a good idea to offer it for free for download... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:53 am 

I think if it's possible in the near future, a quick start battle box, like the recent Infinity Operation Icestorm, or the old 2nd ed Warzone box set (so many miniatures!), would be a good idea.

Incorporating two corporation starter sets with a cut down rules booklet and a scenario booklet would be a nice way to introduce someone to the game or even used to demonstrate it at a convention.

Jase

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:24 am 

Here's my idea: Get together with your group and streamline the rules to create your own version of the game. It can be really fun to write rules and gives great insight into things like balance, avoiding loopholes and making instructions easy to remember. I did that with the old Mutant Chronicles pnp rpg. Loved the world and atmosphere but the rules were sooo buggy. It took a few hours, but the result was totally worth it.