It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Armour & Flame weapons
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:17 am 

Hi,
My thoughts on armour.
Shouldn't the type of Armour be made obvious on the stat card?
Aesthetically a hero resembles a grunt yet the heroes armour is better, 16 as opposed to 12
I assume the grunt and hero are both in Light armour. I therefore assume a Monster is Bio armour and a war machine/robot is heavy armour.
So what is the logic with Piercing weapons? AP rounds are designed to negate armour and kill people. Why isn't light armour affected? I guess for the same reason I have concerns around Heavy armour. Why would heavy armour suffer a penalty from the most prolific weapon type (piercing)? If heavy armour is the remit of BIG monsters then shouldn't they only suffer from heavy weapon fire OR be immune to the strength modifiers of weapons.
Being a huge fan of the Gehenna Puker I guess it’s not a FLAME type weapon but a PLASMA one?
Had some thoughts on Heroes but V1.1 seems to have addressed that. I like Kinkaids mechanic of activating units in Kampfgruppe Normandy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:12 am 

Honestly, I don't think we know enough about it all to know what is being represented just yet. Piercing ammo is fairly omni-present and could be dangerous to heavy targets. But if they have armour values +3-5 higher than expected to counteract it, then they may still be able to weather piercing ammunition better than light infantry would.

But it will also depend on what Heavy and Light armour mean in the system. Heavy armour may represent largely mechanic units where a piercing round is both better at passing through their armour but also has a greater chance to stay inside them and mess up their internals. Whereas against light composite armour it simply goes right through. Still damaging, but not causing the devastation they would cause in a unit that they would not pass through.

The only one causing a bit of a head scratch is that plasma is less effective against light units. My only guess (other than balance, which I know is the reason) is that they are more agile and can probably shuffle out of the way of those better.

But until we see a unit that uses Heavy armour as a type, we can't assume too much. It is true, that in this current limited environment, that a heavy unit with A12 would be dead meat. But if the expected armour values of true heavy units is 15-16 and piercing weapons are not as omni-present as they are now; then things could well be different than we assume.

Right now we have only tested light armour, bio armour, three of the weapon types (with the major one not having a single target it is strong against). As the beta progresses we should be able to gauge the interactions better. But there are too many unknowns to say anything for certain yet.

Final Note: The amount of piercing weaponry is exactly why I made my effect-based suggestion to change blast to rending. It allows design space for assault rifles loaded with armour-piercing rounds (like the Panzerknacker) or more conventional anti-infantry rounds. But even I am not 100% on that until I see more of the play-state.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:15 am 

Thanks for the reply. Early days, I get it.

Any chance of some variant squads types, very keen to contribute feedback and play test more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:03 pm 

Plus, concerning tanks, walkers, etc. I assume they will all count as vehicles, and all weapons have an "Anti Vehicle Value" and the basic rifles are all 1. I have a feeling that may be more important that weapon type/damage. Just my two logic cents.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 am 

That was my thinking as well. Walkers and other large mechanical units are already being handled by a different sub-system it would seem (I wonder if larger monsters are in the same boat?). So heavy armour may not mean what we think it does. My current guess is it will be for mechanical units like the Machinators and perhaps even the Cuirassiers.

But we wont really know how it all interacts until the next beta comes out and we see the vehicle rules in all their glory. It may well be that vehicles have their vehicle type but also possess an armour type (light, heavy, bio) as well. Who knows (besides Prodos... and probably Rob :P )?