It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bulky should be altered
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 am 

While it is perfectly logical that, say, a Vulkan is easier to hit than an infantry trooper, I don't really see why it would be just as easy to hit as a massive, hulking tank.

Therefore, I propose that bulky is changed to Bulky (x), where 'X' is the bonus you recieve to CC/RC.

Some examples:

Vulkans and Praetorian Behemoths* could have Bulky (2)
Orcas and Hurricanes could have Bulky (3)
Grizzlies and Leviathans could have Bulky (4) or (5)
Etc.

Would make it a bit more realistic and logical. Anyone agree or am I on my own here?

* Seriously, why doesn't this guy have bulky, even if he's not a vehicle?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:28 pm 

I am interested in your newsletter and would like to subscribe!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:18 pm 

Seriously, just leave it alone. Its fine how it is. No need to complicate things further.

As far as the Behemoth not being bulky, a living creature should naturally move better than a machine. Yeah he's big, but he can duck, bob, and weave where a walker can't .

I have enough special rules to keep up with as it is! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:17 pm 

Jim: I can't tell whether you're being sarcastic or not.

Rav: Sure. And people can duck too, it doesn't change the fact that he's 10-20 times the mass, minimum, of a human (not counting his gear). Still easier to hit than a person-sized target. Not to mention that he still has the same movement-speed as a human despite being, what, four times taller?

Anyway, the real problem lies in the removal of the size stat, which filled this role perfectly. +1 to hit for every size above 2 (regular people). It didn't really complicate the game as you needed statlines to refer to in any case.

So, I guess as a compromise, remove Bulky and bring back size.

But like I said, I might be alone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:32 pm 

I was not being sarcastic......well, I was a little, but I agree with you.

Change Bulky to Size and give it a rating, (2) is normal human sized.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:30 am 

Really you do have a size stat in WZR. You have 3 sizes: the 30mm, the 40mm and the 50mm plus. Call it this size 1, 2, and 3. What you also have is clearly larger base sizes like 80 or 100 mm which really would be an even larger size than the 50mm. The other thing that the 30mm glosses over would be 'small' or tiny models like goblins or Children of Illian, but that is a side topic.

So if you keep it how it works now and have Bulky, think of Bulky then as functioning like the size 4+. Yet, does the behemoth have bulky?

Perhaps if Bulky (X) mean that instead having more than than 3 sizes you can add penalties to a model for larger sizes (or simply models who have slow going movement like a vehicle when it comes to dynamic short distance movement). Instead of needing 7+ size cateogries you can have 3 of them, plus ratings in the Bulky trait. Of course, what about small hard to hit/quick models. A trait might be in order for that, it would include models who were classified as size 1.

Keep in mind this game, like all games will see a 2nd edition and thus any thoughts you list will be read and the designers will give thought to. Post your thoughts.

I think within the next year I can see Prodos doing another core book, same rules, cleaned up errata, and would include pics from the various models as now they have many/most/all painted up and ready. A book with a lot more pictures of the models. Plus little things like a change to Bulky could be added without making a new edition. Small changes like that might be in order.

It would probably be called 1.5e or 2e if more changes are made.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:44 am 

Some strange emotional outbursts on here.....Weird.

Anyway, I agree completely Zan. The bulky rule is a little too generic to my mind, and adding a number to the ability (or anti-ability in this case) is an elegant solution - having Camouflage (x) for example is simple and doesn't complicate things, so having Bulky (x) would smooth things out nicely. I may use it as a house rule, whatever the designers do.