It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:43 pm 

Something popped up over the last two days of gaming, namely Indirect Fire. Specifically, Imperials L16/81mm Mortar (Life Dragoons) and ‘Slinger’ 160mm Mortar (Greyhound LAFV). The rules for indirect fire are as follows:

The mortar may be fired indirectly without LOS to a target point. This ranged attack scatters D20/2. This skill may not be used inside Structures with an intact ceiling.

Now, the wording is a bit ambiguous, and we came to the conclusion that this EITHER means:

A) Make a RS test to hit, if failed scatter D20/2 instead of the usual D20/4

OR

B) Place a SE template and scatter it D20/2 without rolling to hit.

This may seem like nitpicking the wording, but in comparison the wording for the Blood Berets Rain of Plasma skills states "...Place the center of a LE template anywhere within 24” and LOS of the Squad Commander. Scatter D20/4...". As such, the wording for Indirect Fire caused much consternation. I would appreciate an official ruling on this. It may not make a huge difference for the Grayhound mortar, but Life Dragoons are just plain brutal with their high RoF, which was the main reason for the entire discussion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:51 pm 

Seeing as Prodos doesn't visit the forums very often, you most likely will not get an "official ruling".

"B" is the correct answer. See below.

Edited due to Wraith's clarification:

ADG_Wraith wrote:
Yeah, B (ish) is the correct answer. The reason: try to make an RS test, but you don't have LOS to the target, so you can't calculate cover or hit your target. So the RS test auto-fails and you scatter. However, if it is a (G) type weapon, you will have to make an RS test anyway, just to see if you roll a 20 and the template is centred on the firing models (or for any template weapon: if you roll a 1 and miraculously succeed in hitting your target)!

Last edited by AcesHigh on Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:34 pm 

Well, thanks for that, now I'll just have to hope people at my warzone community accept this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:13 am 

If Wraith comes along and confirms, that's probably pretty authoritative.

At least from my point of view.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:41 am 

Yeah, well, try convincing the Bauhaus guy who lost 90% of his army to my Life Dragoons. In fact, out of 5 Etoiles Mortant, 5 Venusian Rangers, Vulkan Battlesuit and Venusian Marshal plus some hussars, only ONE RANGER didn't die to that mortar.

I have a tendancy to avoid powergaming and OP units, but in a game that has me facing RDing Etoiles Mortant, Tiger Dragons and Purple Sharp spam... Well, people better get used to the term Death From Above.

On that note, where does it say jet bikes don't take damage from explosion templates? I have a feeling I've been had one game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 am 

That's a new one to me.

And Bauhaus players have no room to talk about large nasty explosions!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:54 pm 

Yeah, B (ish) is the correct answer. The reason: try to make an RS test, but you don't have LOS to the target, so you can't calculate cover or hit your target. So the RS test auto-fails and you scatter. However, if it is a (G) type weapon, you will have to make an RS test anyway, just to see if you roll a 20 and the template is centred on the firing models (or for any template weapon: if you roll a 1 and miraculously succeed in hitting your target)!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:01 pm 

C) You have to do the RS test (haven't found anything in the rules saying otherwise, please quote if there is something) - if the test is succesful you scatter once (from indirect fire rule), if failed you scatter twice (once from the indirect fire rule, once from the general rules of using grenades - one doesn't exclude the other).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:04 pm 

Looks like I was wrong skitter.

Edited my post.