It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Bases
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:02 pm 

Brother Jim wrote:
I don't understand why people think the 30mm lipped bases have more area for posing a model on. The actual usable area is about the same as a standard 25mm base.

...and then you have the "lip" area to frame overhanging vegetation, signposts, detrius, victims, etc. It also "pedastles" the model less, making them seem more attached to the terrain.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:12 pm 

Yeah it is, but they look better and your basedesigns are not hanging that much over the edges, because they have a depth of their own. It´s kinde like a little "diorama"like base. For the 25mm bases, the miniatures are often hanging over the edges with their feet etc. That looks kinda weird.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:48 pm 

Herr Narr: Thats all right. I would be use 30mm basesize because of the reasons you say. But: Warzone is a unfancied game (at the present day). Should be establish it a new basesize? The basesize determined the use of storage and transport system (soft foam), the terrain and anything else.

As luck the mini is at 28mm scale. Man can use bitz vy many manufactores.

German: Ja, ich bin auch der Meinung, daß 25mm-Basen zu klein für viele Figuren sind. Aber sollte Warzone, ein Nischenspiel ohne die große Spilergemeinschaft wie GW, eine neue Basengröße einführen? Die Größe der Basis bestimmt darüber, ob man neue Transport-Koffer kaufen muß oder nicht, ob man seine Miniaturhäuser gebrauchen kann oder eher eingeschränkt usw.

Zum Glück sind die Figuren im 28mm-Maßstab, man kann also Bitz von verschiedenen Herstellern nehmen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:06 pm 

Same answer because of teh same reasons. All my transports, all my terrain, just everything i own for my tabletops is for the use of 30mm bases. I Play Warmahordes, Spinespur and Malifaux which all use the 30mm bases. So it is a little bit the problem of which other systems one is playing. It´s all a bit the "problem" of the circumstances. For me it´s more than fine, for others it may be a downside. You´ll never make everyone happy with decisions you make in such cases, but at last, it is the decision of Prodos and their opinion what is best for their game.

German:

Gleiches Argument für mich, nur genau von der anderen Seite aus. Alles was ich habe, meine Miniaturenkoffen, mein gebautes Gelände etc. ist auf 30mm Bases ausgerichtet, da ich seit ich mit GW-Spielen aufgehört habe nie wieder ein System gespielt habe das die 25mm Bases benutz. Also habe ich mich darauf eingestellt und es war für ich sogar immer ein bisschen ein Kriterium für "schöne" Miniaturen das sie die "neueren" Bases benutzen. Ich freu mich riesig das Prodos die 30mm Bases nimmt, kann aber auch im Gegenzug verstehen das es anderen genu anders herum geht. Man kann halt nie alle glücklich machen mit solchen Entscheidungen. Aber letzendlich liegt es an Prodos zu entscheiden was das beste für ihr Spiel ist.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:33 pm 

Rackham's bases for Confrontation 4 / AT-43 have approximatively the same area than their classical version but more than round-lipped bases for the same size.

Difference between Conf4 and round-lipped bases
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-pNhN5ACap9c/TY77iiKAgVI/AAAAAAAAALE/Nvh1CkD6zds/s1600/IMG_2933.JPG

Difference between Conf4 and old style base.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XBD6kwf7Xbw/TY77RqhHHPI/AAAAAAAAAK0/_fotn2bePjE/s1600/IMG_2936.JPG

Just hope that WZR will keep standard size: 30mm / 40mm / 50mm / 65mm / 80mm / 130mm.

A lot of product are available for "standard size bases" (storage / scenic bases ...) Don't think that they will create new bases size only for WZR.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am 

Brother Jim wrote:
I don't understand why people think the 30mm lipped bases have more area for posing a model on.

Yes the base flat area is the same but as another poster mentioned you've got more "overhanging" room both for basing or longer reaching models, and thus more base area for stability to support them - 5mm can actually help with the balance with larger models!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 pm 

There are 2 official round bases size for miniatures:
-Round Bases (Games Workshop concept): 25mm, 40mm, 60mm
-WRound Bases (Private Press concept): 30mm, 40mm,50mm,120mm

When i read the "engagement action" i read 30mm, 35mm, 60mm. It must be a Bug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:10 pm 

For now, I would assume it is 30, 40 & 50mm base sizes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 pm 

rob_alderman wrote:
For now, I would assume it is 30, 40 & 50mm base sizes.

Thanks, yet it is clear for me -> WRound bases 30, 40 & 50mm (120mm? , easy to have sculpted resin bases and official standard format)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:19 am 

I don't mind the bases being 30mm round lipped. Honestly that makes basing so much easier, in my opinion, since the lip helps sort of contain all the basing material you use on it. The only thing I hope is that Prodos gets their base sizes striaght because it's going to be damn hard to find 35mm and 60mm round lipped bases.

I also won't be using my old minis for a few reasons:

1) They're 2000 miles away
2) They won't fit in with the new designs

So that's just sort of a non-factor to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next