It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Bases
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:16 am 

Meanwhile i had change my opinion. But why must be use a slotted base for minis without brace? This canyon makes difficult to beautify the base.

Yes, i altered really my persuasion. I vote for 30mm and so on.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:46 pm 

Bases with slots are a lot more readily available. Even Malifaux uses these bases when their Plastic miniatures do not have a 'tag'.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

rob_alderman wrote:
Bases with slots are a lot more readily available. Even Malifaux uses these bases when their Plastic miniatures do not have a 'tag'.

There is also other reason why we cannot use 25mm, GW own patent for them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:06 am 

GW really have a patent on them? But I still see a million of these bases around the place and not just for GW games. Also seems dodgy that you can patent this. Patents are always good at stifling innovation and product development...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:19 pm 

rob_alderman wrote:
For now, I would assume it is 30, 40 & 50mm base sizes.

Thanks for that clarification Rob, that was one of hte points we ran into when we read over the beta test rules and was in my report on them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:43 am 

Here's an idea "slotter" bases with room to slip the old school bases for easy conversions... Possible?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:57 am 

Jarek@Prodos wrote:
rob_alderman wrote:

There is also other reason why we cannot use 25mm, GW own patent for them.

GW has two patents in the EPO none of which include any a gaming base or gaming material of any kind, their patents are for manufacturing processes and equipment*. Two patents in the US were found under Games Workshop similar to the two registered in Great Britain.

Considering that the UK IP office in a fit of stupid allowed GW to register "Space Marine" for what appears to cover books (printed material) they may have a trademark for a base in gaming? I can't find one though. They do slap a copyright on their bases but as long as you create your own or subcontract with another manufacturer of 25mm bases they designed and created themselves you're good. Just don't make an EXACT copy of the GW base from a GW base. <-this is not legal advice of course but there are other manufacturers of plastic 25mm bases, slotta and non slotta. I find it hard to believe GW has any legal claim on that base otherwise they'd have shut them down long ago.

I'm looking at an old Warzone 25mm base and it's clearly labeled with a Target Games copyright notice, btw.

It's cool if you want to use 30mm round bases but please don't blame it on GW.

*I did not know they actually patented some of their plastic manufacturing equipment, or parts of it. Learn something new every day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 am 

Interestingly, measure the old target games bases (especially the ones that come with the plastic imperial and bauhaus models) and you will find they are slightly larger than 25mm...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 pm 

Thanks about the base measurement idea that's an interesting bit of trivia I'll measure them when I get home.

Facing and Bases:
If facing matters, why are the bases round instead of square? :D

I've always wondered why skirmish games with facing rules use round bases when square bases seem the more logical choice? <-I'm not suggesting it as a change really. I know square bases in a skirmish game would just about upset everyone Pro/Con the 30mm rounds making friends of enemies and what not. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:43 am 

Lord Draekor wrote:
Thanks about the base measurement idea that's an interesting bit of trivia I'll measure them when I get home.

Facing and Bases:
If facing matters, why are the bases round instead of square? :D

I've always wondered why skirmish games with facing rules use round bases when square bases seem the more logical choice? <-I'm not suggesting it as a change really. I know square bases in a skirmish game would just about upset everyone Pro/Con the 30mm rounds making friends of enemies and what not. ;)

CAn't surround a square base with as many models as you can a round base. ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next