It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: A question on movement
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:17 pm 

So I finally picked up my stuff (yay!) and while it will be some time before I get the chance to assemble any models, I have at least flicked through the rulebook. My first need for clarification involves the rules on movement:

On page 27 it states:

Quote:
The maximum distance a Model can travel in inches in one Game Turn is twice its Movement Value.

On page 47 there is an example which reads:

Quote:
A Model with a Movement Value of 5 makes a Run Action. The model receives a +2" Modifier to Movement, this means that the total Movement that the Model is allowed to travel is equal to 12" (Movement Value: 5 multiplied by 2 for the Run Action and a +2" Modifier).

As it stands, it appears to be impossible to benefit from the additional +2" mentioned in the example if the model was running across open terrain - he could only run 10" as per the statement on page 27. The only benefit would come from moving through light terrain, where the additional +2" modifier to Movement would counteract the -2" to Movement penalty, allowing the model to move a full 10" through that one piece of terrain (as long as the model was moving less than 3" through that piece of terrain, otherwise it would be considered heavy terrain).

So is this interpretation correct, or does the statement on page 27 need to be amended to include something like "...is twice it's Movement Value, plus any positive Movement Modifiers."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:17 pm 

You can never move more than twice your Movement Value.

I think we should have defined this better.

You can never move more than twice your MODIFIED Movement Value. So a model that has it's MOVEMENT VALUE modified can move twice the modified value.
i.e. A model with a movement value of 5 gains a +1 modifier to Movement Value, this means it can move up to 12" per turn (MV:5+1x2)
However, if you recieve a modifier to movement, this only adds to the distance travelled. It still means the model cannot move more than double.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:21 pm 

I don't think that modifiers to the Movement Value need further clarification because yeah, that's pretty straight forward and since I only recall one reference to the unmodified Movement Value, it seems correct to assume that all other references to Movement Value include any modifiers (eg Schnell! Schnell! Schnell!) before Running or Engaging.

..buuut even if you say that any extra distance covered thanks to a Movement Modifier is not considered part of the distance it has moved (or travelled, to use the term from page 27), AND assuming that is what you are saying and I haven't misunderstood you (always possible!) I am still not entirely clear lol.

As I understand it, the intent is to stop a model from moving Mx2 during a Run acttion, and then Mx2 during an Engage, or any other combination of move-related action where the value of M is referred to more than twice in a turn.

So is my original suggestion correct? That the maximum a model can move in a single game turn is double it's (modified) Movement Value, plus the sum of any Movement Modifiers applied to that model?

e.g. a Hussar with a Movement Value of 5 and the Schnell! Schnell! Schnell! and The Moment Has Come! upgrades has a (modified) Movement Value of 6 and receives a +2" Movement Modifier as part of the Engage action. Thus he could perform a Move of 6" and an Engage of 8", an Engage of 8" and make a Close Combat attack, or a Run of 12".. although he would have to move at least 5" as part of the Engage action to receive the Engage bonus to his first Close Combat attack.

Right?