It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: More Newbie Questions!
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:57 am 

Hey folks,

I've got a bunch more Warzone games under my belt now and a few questions have popped up at our store. I was hoping to get some answers from those more knowledgeable!

1. Multiple cover: I am a bit confused on this. So it says that cover stacks, but it also says if the cover is within 1 inch of the other, you only take the highest. Does that mean if I shot over a piece of light cover, and over a piece of heavy cover, and the two pieces of terrain were not within 1 inch, I would take a total -6 modifier to RS? Further, are intervening models treated as hard cover, or is it a separate modifier? So would a model within 1 inch of terrain not impose an additional penalty?

2. If models are heavy cover and not their own type of RS modifier, do Razides ignore RS penalties for shooting through friendly and enemy models?

3. Models are impassable terrain, right? I remember reading this somewhere, but now I cannot find it. So Martian banshees cannot fly over enemy models if they cannot find a place to fit between? Same deal with jetbikes? They can fly over terrain, but not troops?

4. I also thought I remembered reading that template weapons could not have their RoF increased, but now I can't find it. So if I have a shotgun weapon that doesn't explicitly say I cannot increase RoF, I could burn a card to beef it up? Same deal with flamer weapons?

5. How the heck does Escalation deployment work? Do we take turns deploying units on turn 1? Do they deploy before the turn starts? Does the player with initiative deploy all his/her units first, then the other player goes? This could easily lead to the opponent being stuck in awful spots. Do units move on when they activate, or do they just "appear" on the board within 6 inches when it's time to deploy? This section is terribly worded!

Damn, I know there's more, but I can't remember at the moment. I'm sure I'll think of some later.

And while I'm at it, I've got a non-rules question. Is Capitol considered overpowered? I am *wrecking* people with my Caps, and folks are getting discouraged. Is the general consensus that they are too strong?

Thanks for all help!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:18 pm 

Hey duck_bird!

1. First of all yes, negative cover modifiers stack, so it will be -6 to the shot. Intervening models are treated as heavy cover:

"Heavy Cover (Heavy Terrain, intervening Models, Impassable Terrain): -4 Modifier to RS. Examples of this type of Cover include walls, trees, ruins and intervening Squad members. Cover Modifiers are cumulative. As such, if a target Model is behind Heavy Cover and there are intervening Models in the way, it will be very difficult to hit." (Main rules 1.4 pdf p. 35).

A model within 1 inch of terrain will not impose an additional penalty. BUT you always use the higher modifier, so if the terrain is light (RS -2), you will use the model's modifier (RS -4), because:

"If there is more than one type of Cover within 1” of each other, only the highest Cover Modifier Value is taken into consideration."(Main rules 1.4 pdf p. 36).

2. Yes. Razides ignore cover provided by models, so they make excellent assasins for Warlords that are placed behind infantry squads. But mind you that:

"A Model cannot make a Shooting Action at a target which is behind more than 3 pieces of Cover (including intervening Models), unless a ‘Lucky Shot’ attempt is declared. On a D20 roll of natural 1 a Lucky Shot attempt is regarded as a successful RS test." (Main rules 1.4 pdf p. 35).

3. Yes models are impassable terrain (I think it's in the FAQ, can't remember).

Banshees can't fly over models (they don't make jumps like the stormtroopers. It's more like they move like a rocket forward).

Jetbikes have a special exception:

"Jet Bikes cannot travel through Impassable Terrain, except if moving over friendly or enemy models on Small or Medium bases." (Main rules 1.4 pdf p. 66).

Note here that Jet Bikes can't move over models on Large bases (e.g. Hurricane Walker) or models with a footprint (e.g. Black Widow, Leviathan).

4. You probably mean:

"The ROF of thrown/B2B Grenades cannot be increased by any means." (Main rules 1.4 pdf p. 49).

The restriction applies only to grenades. Barring that, unless you see it specifically on the weapon's description, go crazy with your shotguns, flamers, launchers etc!

5. Escalation is a total headache, I agree. I recommend the tournament's rules for Linebreaker (Mission 5, p.7 or 8). Personally not a fan of escalation deployment.

------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Unfortunately Capitol is a bit on the overpowered side. It has to do with low point costs for very powerful training advantages and squads, powerful deck cards that work well by themselves without the need for card combos, no visible army restrictions or weaknesses and rapid deployment rules that need to be adressed (the tournament's restriction of 20% per army is a good start, but cripples Capitol which is mainly rd oriented).

But don't feel bad. Brotherhood comes a close second, and Cybertronic is a solid third. Maybe you should switch armies with other players for a couple of games, to evaluate your tactics and army. Things like that are good for gaming group morale, I think.

Hope I helped!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:23 pm 

Hey Mickey, thanks for clearing that up! Helped a lot!

OK so my army is a bit strong. Dang! OK, so what armies are considered weak in this game?

Yeah rapid deploy is very strong. Giving aircav squads shotguns and then landing right next to enemy troops is crazy powerful.

Also, I couldn't help but notice how dead these forums are. Is Warzone not a very big game? We're trying to get folks interested at our local store, and we've mad moderate success, but I don't know how long it'll last. Is there another forum somewhere that I've missed which is more popular?

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:22 pm 

Its the Birmingham games expo with a warzone tournament so there's aload of them there and there's a good few on facebook page also. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:22 pm 

Gotcha, still really hoping to hear more about the tournament!

Anyway, had a few questions pop up in some of our games over the weekend regarding mirrormen. Their abilities are kind of ambiguously worded.

So there's a blanket -2 to be shot at. But you can TTB to increase this to -4. Does this affect the whole squad? Or just the one mirrorman?

Secondly, their active ability is confusing as well. You can interrupt any model's activation, friend or foe, to burn 2 cards to begin their mirror shenanigans. And then, all enemies activating within 18 must pass a LD check to not shoot you... for how long? For the rest of that squad's activation? Rest of the turn? Until their next activation? If they fail, they shoot you at -4. Does this stack with the mirrormen's passive? Or is it a flat -4 modifier?

These guys are a very cool unit but their rules wording is confusing!

Could anyone clear that up?