It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vulkan + Greyhound
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:34 pm 

Hi guys, me and friend of mine need some of your help in rules clarification before third game:

1. Greyhound: We utterly can not understand the way greyhound shoots from Chimney. Especially the rotating template things seems to me just illogical. Can someone in detail explain it to me? Also do I understand it right that before the game the Imperial player decide to have either Chimney or mortar on Greyhound right? Can not have both yes?

2. Vulkan: "A Vulcan Battlesuit may swap its MG-70 HMG and JS66 ‘Prometheus Variant’ Heavy Flamethrower for a pair of Hydraulic Powered Fists for 0 pts. Each Vulkan with Hydraulic Powered Fists have a total of 4 AP." -> So, by default I have HMG and flamethrower and can switch it with Two fists? Can not have for instance HMG and fist? And when having two fist will alter AP to 3 meaning I can make for instance 4 cc attacks?

3. Grenades: When shooting from G weapon type throwing 20 on dice -> does the grenade explode the trooper in hands?

Thanks for any clarification!

Post subject: Re: Vulkan + Greyhound
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:51 am 

1. The way the Chimney gas cannon operates: place the narrow end of the template using the grenade rules (place it within range, if it misses you scatter D20/4). After placing it, you can point the wide end of the template in any direction , just as long as the wide end isn't any closer to the Greyhound than the narrow end (so the template has to point somewhere in the forward arc from the impact point).
The selection of Chimney or Slinger occurs when choosing your army, so you can't change from game to game unless you're choosing a new army before each game.

2. No, the two options are either a gun Vulkan (HMG and flamethrower) or a CC Vulkan (Fists). If you've got a fist-equipped Vulkan, instead of 3APs, you have 4. Everything else follows the normal rules- you only have 1AP when engaged, and you can't do more than one of the same action. For 4AP, you can move, then engage, then attack in CC. If you're engaged at the start of your turn, you only have 1AP and can only choose to make an attack or move out of CCWR.

3. Yes! As per page 69 of the rulebook, a roll of a natural 20 means you place the template over the model and resolve all hits from that point. 20s are dangerous things!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:13 am 

Many thanks! But I am still little bit confused...
1. Isn't it kind a pointless to scatter if you can rotate the template which is quite "long" so you will always reach the target...? Also, regarding greyhound weapons I have read yesterday on forum this opinion: "You have to do the RS test (haven't found anything in the rules saying otherwise, please quote if there is something) - if the test is successful you scatter once (from indirect fire rule), if failed you scatter twice (once from the indirect fire rule, once from the general rules of using grenades - one doesn't exclude the other)." So its it a wrong opinion, just one scattering 20/4? Also do greyhound needs LOS for both mortar and chimney?

2. Now its is clear to me, thanks!

3. Ok but If I play for Bauhaus which never fumbles does it still explodes in troop's hands?

Thank you very much for the clarification, we are going to play for the third time and each game is slightly better and better concerning the rules.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:36 pm 

Elcarcharias wrote:

3. Ok but If I play for Bauhaus which never fumbles does it still explodes in troop's hands?

Rolling a 20 still results in the grenade exploding in hand, this is separate from a fumble. Meaning if on your first action point you throw a grenade, roll a twenty (as Bauhaus, you ignore the Fumble rule), save from the grenade "mishap", and don't immediately lose any remaining action points if the model survives.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:15 am 

That's alright, I'm sure it would be less confusing if I were able to explain it in person!

The scatter is important as the template can only be placed facing 'forward', so the wide end isn't any closer to the firing tank than the narrow end. If the impact point scatters forward, it might well mean that you overshoot the target.

Indirect fire- roll to hit as normal if you can see your target. If you can't draw LOS to your target, you use the Indirect Fire rules, where it scatters D20/2. If you are doing the latter, roll a D20 to hit, and on a 1 you're on target and on a 20 the round goes off in the chamber (centre the template on yourself). Any other result is a D20/2 scatter.

Note that normally you cannot fire if you don't have LOS, but the special skill Indirect Fire allows a Greyhound equipped with the Slinger to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:44 pm 

Ok it is pretty clear to me now. Thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm 

To get a better idea of what the chimney is actually doing in relation to positioning the template, look up some footage of WW2 pacific marines using flame throwers. They hose an area down with them. The fire doesn't just come out in a cone shape.