It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Regarding gear cards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm 

My group had our first playtest on saturday and we only found one funny rules issue around gear cards, are you allowed to play them on your opponents squads?

Say the only troops I have on one side of the board are wearing light armor, would I be allowed to spend the resources to issue plasma ammo to my opponents squads making them less effective against my light armor until they get rid of the gear with a a strategy card of their own?

Post subject: Re: Regarding gear cards
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:44 pm 

Even if there is no rule by now that forbids to play the cards on enemy troups, there will be one.

It´s the logic behind that all, how would you alter the ammunition of an enemy? The card reflects ammunition your troop is carrying and changing them on the battlefield. I don´t think there is a device altering plasmaammunition so that it will become a solid shell or that there will be a device controling the brains of the enemy, telling them to use another ammunition they are carrying with them.

But should be clarified in the rules, so this "bug" won´t be exploited.

It´s a little bit like attacking own Models in other systems to gain advantages. Rules le you do shizzle no soldier would ever do in reality. Cause of that i like the rule in WZR that, if you kill one of your one models, you have to test for LD.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:32 pm 

It doesn't make any conventional sense but neither do legions of zombie soldiers in the service of demons or warlock priests on the moon. Could be a swarm of nano-robots that change the chemical composition of ammo to turn slugs into plasma or shrapnel when fired, or vice versa. An energy field that transmutes matter passing through it, it's sci-fi, there's a million and one justifications that can be used.

Might just be how much I like the idea of the cards but I kind of liked the notion that you can apply semi-permanent "debuffs" as well as buffs, it's also a gambit because if the plasma squad managed to get away from the troops they were shooting at and could get a bead on something with biological armor it would turn into a boon for them. It could certainly be abused if a counter isn't put in place but a 1 res "Drop it!" card that allowed a unit to get rid of a gear card could be an excellent counter for such a maneuver. We already have the gravity whatsit that temporarily turns a units armor type to heavy, why not a more res hungry card that can apply a persistent effect?

Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm 

I'd say this is counter intuitive, as it would NEVER be a boon for the opposing player, as the ammo cards say "you can remove this card at any time" ie, the person playing it. So sure, maybe they go after the bio giant etc, but then you just pull the card.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:57 am 

This itself doesn't make sense.

That said what about cards say "Clogged chamber", unit most forfeit a shoot action to be able to shoot again, +2 to hit against [Unit], or -2 RC or -2 RANGE for one round.

Maybe not great examples but debuffs would be a viable alternative.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:12 pm 

No rule currently against it (unless its changed in V1.1). And it makes just as much sense as some of the other card rules. I mean if I can play a card that makes your new plasma ammo expire, why cant I do it in the opposite?

Sure it makes no sense, but it makes as much sense as suddenly remembering you have grenades or a force field generator.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 am 

Well, Ammo cards can be discarded at will, so there's that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 am 

tezrek wrote:
Well, Ammo cards can be discarded at will, so there's that.

By the player who played them, correct? I mean I cannot discard your cards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:50 pm 

Yeah, I asked myself that. Prodos has stated though, that they didn't wanted the card aspect to be too intrusive, so I don't think they intended us to play gear cards against our opponent. However, you could certainly playtest it and tell us how it felt :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:50 pm 

I think we are going to try another playtest with three modifications, gear cards may be explicitly played on any unit on the table, gear cards may be removed by consuming 1 res for each res spent to apply the effect, and gear cards that include the option to remove them at any time lose this option.

So cards used to apply a gear debuff can be removed limiting res availability for other effects, keeping the overall impact of the cards on the game to a minimum.