It is currently Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:31 pm 

I guess many players would love to have comparable basic troops
like the bauhausers and imperials with gasmasks from the 2nd edition
basic box for lets say capitol and mishima.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

Cmon people - say something.
I mean the multipart sprues from the 2nd edition gigabox!
Because how i see it theyre great only the problem the other
corporations haveing only better detailed lead figures.
But players like me miss the trashy plastic look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:32 pm 

With the great looking starter boxes, they can probably go a while without offering a 2 player box(kind of like PP did). When(if) they do, it would be a great opportunity to release Imperial and Mishima at the same time as the two factions in the box. That box would sell like hotcakes, no only to new players, but to die hards who've been waiting for those two factions.

Corporation VS Dark Legion would probably be more iconic, popular and therefore likely.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:37 pm 

I would agree, I like the plastic models, you can actually still order them 80 models for $25ish USD, if anything I would suggest that Prodos get hold of the plastic molds (I know all the old molds where supposedly destroyed, but Prince Augusts churns these ones out like candy, so I suspect these molds still exist)

Capitol is the only one which is going to be created (maybe) if the Kickstarter reached 80000 GBP. And all basic troops will be made in plastic if the KS reaches 70000 GBP (highly possible the KS is at 62k GBP now) Mishima is far far away at this time, its not even on the KS

However I don't think Prodos has announced what the "Retail" starter set is going to contain, and I highly doubt its going to contain 80 plastic soldiers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:02 am 

All the starter boxes Prodos Games are releasing are 100% balanced. A 2 player starter box would limit a lot of people and they thought it was better to offer people the chance to get involved at a sensible price for one starter. It's also highly likely that people will get more than one faction!

The older models really will not stand up against the new ones, in the same way 2nd edition 40k miniatures do not stand up to the newer ones...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am 

Darth Fraggle wrote:
With the great looking starter boxes, they can probably go a while without offering a 2 player box(kind of like PP did). When(if) they do, it would be a great opportunity to release Imperial and Mishima at the same time as the two factions in the box. That box would sell like hotcakes, no only to new players, but to die hards who've been waiting for those two factions.

Corporation VS Dark Legion would probably be more iconic, popular and therefore likely.

nice thinking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:23 am 

I just mean - the productions are still in progress so maybe the above
idea could move the design team to "copy" said style to support the fans
with something they had to miss for all the time - just abit reinforcing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:40 am 

Eh, the 2nd Edition plastics were okay at the time. But by today's standards they are nothing to write home about. They look a bit weedy compared to 28mm heroic-scale stuff, the details are kind of blobby and the kind of plastic used is less than ideal (it seems to actively resist super-glue and were totally proof against plastic cement).

Better we hope they get to £70k on the stretch and we get brand new polystyrene multi-part kits instead.

Besides that, if they are going with 1st Edition styles of units then there will be no place for Ducal Militia and Hussars since the former was a contrivance of 2nd Edition doing a massive fluff re-work. I say they leave all of the old minis where they are and just work up from scratch again. PA can keep doing what they're doing (i.e. subsidizing every Imperial Guard player who has ever wanted to do a Prussian or British style force, ever).

And I agree with Darth Fraggle, one-person starters are ideal for skirmish games and served Privateer Press well as they were starting up. A two-person box isn't really needed for a good long time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:43 am 

The starters should probably be "1 playable force in a box" and priced around the $50 point. Double sets with rules and extra models for $120 might be interesting too.

This is all talking through my hat as I have no idea what production and distribution costs are. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:54 am 

The starters being produced will retail for £35 so basically $50USD. If the do ever make a 2-person starter then I dare say they should attempt to keep it at $100USD because $120USD is where it starts to exit the easy-to-buy territory for a lot of people. This is why it is important to have a strong fan-base when making 2-person starters, since people want 'em relatively cheap. And if you can't compete with the Warmachine 2 player box ($99.99) and GW's Dark Vengeance ($99.00) then it will be a tough sell.

Better to stick with single-person sets than to try and compete with the big boys, especially when most people tend to prefer single-person starters.