It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:07 am 

I really like the new models, I think Prodos did great job updating them. The only thing I sometimes fail to see is consistency between different factions. For example, the new Capitol troops look really amazing, but they are so realistic that they completely lost the retro look that Bauhaus has. Just put the images of Brotherhood, Bauhaus and Capitol next to each other to notice what I am talking about.

The Brotherhood got their massive shoulder pads, while new Capitol has very small ones, Bauhaus being somewhere in between. The shoulder pads are the most recognizable piece of kit for every faction, which brings another issue – the old art.

I believe Prodos stated that the rulebook will feature new and old art. Except Brotherhood and some Cybertronic I do not see which images they could be using, which makes me worried that the new rulebook will lose some of the atmosphere that the full of great images old rulebook had. Of course there will be new images, but I personally think Prodos cannot afford the amount of new art that the old rulebook had. Just a simple decision of changing the shape of original shoulder pads could cost a lot in terms of not being able to use the old images. For example, as the Capitol’s shoulder pads were re-designed, the art of Mitch Hunter with his dog just does not fit in anymore. The only item that says it is Capitol is the eagle painted on his armor. The same goes for many other images that could actually be re-used. Don’t get me wrong, I like the new shoulder pads, but I don’t see what was wrong with the old ones (except the size).

I would love to hear from Prodos about their plans for the rulebook and new art vs the old.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:24 am 

They simply could say that the new armor, shoulder pads and look are a newest set of standard gear for each of the factions. Just look at how far modern body armor changed and advanced over a 30 year period. It's not like the Corporate wars are short lived affairs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:32 am 

yeah in real life, not in a tabletop battle game where normally rulebooks feature current look of the miniatures. Ok, they could use some images stating what you have said that they are "historical images", but not too many. The art in the rulebooks is there to build up or foster your imagination about the current product, not to show you how it used to be. It is even dangerous as some people might like more the style from the old art then the new style (I like more venusian rangers from the old art). Not changing the shoulder pads style was an easy fix. Now I am curious what Prodos will come up with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:11 am 

seven wrote:
The art in the rulebooks is there to build up or foster your imagination about the current product, not to show you how it used to be.

This is a very good point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 am 

Gentlemen, many of your comments are sound and old art is as important as possible new, without bringing age into this discussion as a crittical factor, that very fact could see the need for new growth. Older artists may warrant far greater fees and "moved on" to other projects resulting in using only their old art. I would rather see all new, as for uniforms the quality of a great Si/Fi game is it`s ability to mimic life's actions and styles in miniature. Bauhaus are old style tradition very fine condition Capitol mass produced but more pratical. One thing we may never know is if design itself influences the pads. I`m taking it all with good grace, it`s not being built just for us but for tomorrows gamers, to be totaly honest all games will never suit us all ,at least we get a second chance at MC.
Chears all enjoy our new world.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:56 pm 

I think all of the new faction models are ok or better than ok except from Bauhaus, the majority of them figures needs to be redone especially like others have said before the soldiers that holds the rifle in the bent of the elbow. Mishima and Imperial are hard to decide since i havne´t seen so much of the actual figures. Otherwise i think the best looking figures are The brotherhood figures. I guess Bauhaus were the first figures that were made so thats why they don´t have the same standard as the others, The newer Bauhaus figuers like the juggernauts are truly cool in my opinion so more of that caliber to Bauhaus.

I think the old figures were mostly good or great especially the later ones so for now my vote is on the old figuers, partly cause the old ones were in metal i like metal better.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:37 am 

Meh, my vote goes to the new "in scale with each other" miniatures. While many of the old minis have a sentimental charm they do not stand up to today's standards. I will be shelving 99% of my old metal models unless I am loaning someone a force to play with and am out of painted new stuff to loan.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:32 am 

snake wrote:
I think all of the new faction models are ok or better than ok except from Bauhaus, the majority of them figures needs to be redone especially like others have said before the soldiers that holds the rifle in the bent of the elbow. Mishima and Imperial are hard to decide since i havne´t seen so much of the actual figures. Otherwise i think the best looking figures are The brotherhood figures. I guess Bauhaus were the first figures that were made so thats why they don´t have the same standard as the others, The newer Bauhaus figuers like the juggernauts are truly cool in my opinion so more of that caliber to Bauhaus.

I think the old figures were mostly good or great especially the later ones so for now my vote is on the old figuers, partly cause the old ones were in metal i like metal better.

Bauhaus was the 4th faction to show up. Legion, Cyber, and Brotherhood came before them. As for the gun positions...they have been altered to a bit so that it looks a little bit better.

I pretty much disagree entirely with old vs new models. I find most of the older WZ models to be very, very ugly. I have my issues with a model here or there in the new line, sure, but overall I find them superior in every way.

Also prefer plastic/resin to metal. At one time metal was superior because of the level of detail it could achieve over the previous two. These days it is no longer the case. Now the only thing I find metal to be better at is being a pain in the @$$ to clean/model. I know some prefer the weight...I could care less about that.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:40 pm 

Big Jim V wrote:
Meh, my vote goes to the new "in scale with each other" miniatures. While many of the old minis have a sentimental charm they do not stand up to today's standards. I will be shelving 99% of my old metal models unless I am loaning someone a force to play with and am out of painted new stuff to loan.

In fact you are right, the scale of the old models did vary a bit and for example back then the brotherhoodtroops were some of the worst models of the old range. But i must admit that the new models are more detalied then the old ones so i´ll agree partly.

If i buy new models it will definitly be from the new range, i might do one or two execptions and buy old models to use when i don´t like the new models, for example the Bauhaus Vulcans.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:45 pm 

Fair enough, it is interesting that you like the old Vulcan over the new, cause I always hated that fat little mini.