It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:50 pm 

I have only made one Lord so far, a Brotherhood psycher, and I just used the cardinal Dominic figure but painted him as clearly a different character.
People could take a regular trooper and using paint and bits box stuff make some good conversions or use other ranges, Infinity is not far off, and I plan on using one of their Samurai types for a Mishima Lord.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:57 pm 

Hero creation system from rulebook is simple and fun but it needs little more options.I think it would be nice to have some more differences avaliable to specyfic factions only [like Mishima +1 cc, Bauhaus +1 RS etc.]. Now it is little weird that my Mishiman Lord has less cc [Lord can be max 13cc] than ordinary Samurai.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 pm 

I would like to think there could be different lists for each faction when the corp books come out - maybe also some baseline flavour that you could use, like Martian Banshees for Capitol, Crimson Devils for Mishima, Nepharites for Dark Legion and so on. Because the special rules and such are a bit light as it is, and as a Dark Legion player the stats are more than a little light for a nepharite (I'm planning to make a Heretic Warlord if I find a suitable model to convert, though).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:53 am 

Yeah, updates when the faction books come along seem like a good place to expand on the character creation system. The current system is fun, but it has to cover a lot of ground (and thus has weird options like Psychic warlords for factions with no powers). Individual option bundles for each faction would be marvelous for balance and flavour.

I can kind of envision a system where you choose a base stat line (Lord or a Warlord of a given subtype that matches up with what your army would have), then either you have stat tweaks as in the current system (representing an officer from a core infantry unit) OR you choose a stat package based around a troop type (but no or limited stat tweaks to balance it out).

You could then have the usual list of options for Lord and Warlords plus a few sub-lists based on unit types in a given force.

The trick will be gating things off and making people trade of broader options for more narrow specialties so as to limit the amount of optimization that can occur.

With all that said, the recent Mutant Chronicles survey has me interested to see what minis we get out of Prodos (who will be providing minis for the KS campaign). Seems like an ideal time to release generic character kits since RPG players looking for things to represent their PCs will love the utility in a varied kit. I know I'll already be backing MC 3rd Edition, but I may kick in even more with some nice character kits in there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:44 am 

I'm intending to use at least some of the RPG minis when they come out as WL/L minis. I'm sure they will provide a suitable 'grizzled' look to add to the character.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 pm 

I'd prefer the generic system being like the old one, most heroes being a higher officer of a unit. Failing that I'd at least be able to chose ranged/tech/cc for lords as well as warlords.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:16 pm 

I think that it would be really great if you could choose any unit type as the base of your warlord/lord and expand from that point. That would make them more thematic if for example yourgeneric warlord was FREE MARINE or MORTYFICATOR as well as part of your army.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm 

This is the problem with the current system. Pretty soon, someone will find out the optimal effectiveness/cost combo, and "everyone" in a competitive scene will run that configuration, unless they have a better named alternative (and as they are all quite expensive, I doubt anyone will). This means you'll have carboncopy warlords.

I would much rather you have a system where costs for adding stats are present as in the current one, but you pick a trooptype to use as a "template". For example, if I'm playing Capitol, I pick a Heavy Infantry as my template, add the skill increases at the cost listed in an appropriate table, buy whatever special skills (they also keep the ones their unit entry has) and voila. I have a custom warlord. You could even base what type of Warlord it is on what stat their highest stat is. If CC > RS/Ld(?)/WP(in case of warlord with access to psychic powers) = CC Warlord. This is just a rough sketch of course, but you get the idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:59 am 

I dont think there will be the "best" warlord. I guess, there will be the "best" ranged warlord, the "best" cc warlord etc - but it all comes with a cost attached. Do I want to increase AVV/RoF etc - or will I just buy another Razide for that cost? I like that system a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:10 pm 

Quote:
I would much rather you have a system where costs for adding stats are present as in the current one, but you pick a trooptype to use as a "template". For example, if I'm playing Capitol, I pick a Heavy Infantry as my template, add the skill increases at the cost listed in an appropriate table, buy whatever special skills (they also keep the ones their unit entry has) and voila. I have a custom warlord. You could even base what type of Warlord it is on what stat their highest stat is. If CC > RS/Ld(?)/WP(in case of warlord with access to psychic powers) = CC Warlord. This is just a rough sketch of course, but you get the idea.

Might be what they have in mind for the Imperial book. Heard it will contain advanced rules for the creation of warlords/lords. They're also gonna be rules for creating custom squad commanders from what I read.