It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:06 pm 

In this short text I will try to give my impressions and ideas concerning Brotherhood units. Keep in mind that those are just my opinions (backed with only little experience) and they may change in the future. Most of the information given here is quite obvious but I hope that even more experienced players will find something for interesting. I encourage you to comment and to give your own ideas about presented units or units from other armies as well.

BROTHERHOOD TROOPERS are the backbone of the army, with the cost of 12 per model it puts them on the cheaper side of the spectrum (along with Undead Legionaries, Light Infantry an Ronins). Statistics-wise they have nothing to complain about: CC 14 puts them at the top of the list (with Ronins). Apart from WP 15 (which is critical when it comes to psychic powers) other statistics are completely average.

Unlike most counterparts in other armies Brotherhood Troopers have two completely different builds (for the same points cost) close combat and shooting.

CLOSE COMBAT version
- probably the most important ability they have is IMPENETRABLE ARMOR 12 IN THE FRON ARC (may be increased to 14) that lets them get into combat in the first place,
- CC 14 is decent but not impressive in comparison with other close combat units (again may be increased to CC 16),
- with ROA 2 (3 if you TTB) and ST 11 (13 on ENGAGE) you shouldn't expect much from their charges ( ST can be increased +4, but again it's nothing in comparison with the same buff on more combat oriented units),
- the only aspect in which I find them better than SACRED WARRIORS is that they can take PSYCHIC (S) arts, so if you are interested in adding a flamer, a LMG of missile launcher to the unit you sill have this option by including CARDINAL'S CRIMSON ADMONITION, ASCENT OF RUBY LIGHT or BLOOM OF FIRE FLOWER,

LONG RANGE SUPPORT version
- where most armies have ability to buy some quantity weapons (such as LMG's) Brotherhood Troopers go more quality way, for 10 pints each every 2 in 5 models can upgrade their AC-19 VOLCANO with SCOPE giving them +4 RNG, +2 STR and can ignore the closest cover in effect making hitting chance better. With AIM action and ability to increase RS with ART (+2 RS) they become quite potent infantry eliminators still keeping safe distance at the same time,

Any unit have the option to upgrade the unit leader to INQISITOR for 30 points making the unit FEARLESS, giving that model superior statistics and weaponry and (what is arguably most important) giving the leader WP 18 increasing chances to cast art powers.

On the top of all that every unit must take one ART power and may chose to take the second for 15 points each (with some exceptions). Depends on the type of warlord chosen the ART powers may differ being more, less or completely useless for a particular unit. Here are some options I think are more competitive than others:

Close quarter unit
ANY WARLORD, MIGHT OF RECONING – IMO one the very firs choices if you think about close quarter unit making the troopers ST 15 (17 on ENGAGE)
ANY WARLORD, FORTITUDE OF THE PENITENT – another must have pick for CC unit, + 2 IMPENETRABLE ARMOR makes them much more durable. The problem I see with this art is that you want to activate unit early during the round to activate it where (apart the round when they will engage) you will always want to activate more important units,
ANY WARLORD, RUDDY BLOOM OF THE FIRE FLOWER – if you are interested in adding flamer option to the unit, especially effective if you have INQUISITOR upgrade (WP 18),
ANY WARLORD, ASCENT OF RUBYT LIGHT – under different warlords has different additional effects, but it is efficient all the time, especially (again) if you have INQUISITOR upgrade,
CC WARLORD, CARDINAL'S SACRED DOMINION – +2 CC for unit until is one of the most obvious choices,
CC WARLORD or PS WARLORD, EMERALD BASTION – increases the survivability of the unit by reducing enemies RS by 2, especially effective if more than one unit has this art since you can stack up to -4 RS,

Range support unit
RANGE WARLORD, CARDINAL'S SACRED DOMINION – probably the first pick if you go for shooting heavy army, with +2 RS you cant go wrong,
ANY WARLORD, ASCENT OF RUBYT LIGHT – under different warlords has different additional effects, but it is efficient all the time. Being able to include RANGE 32”, AVV 6 ROF 1 (EDIT: it has been confirmed that ART powers aren't weapons and as such cannot have ROF and ROA increased by TTB) and CRIT DAMAGE(2) its just devastating against vehicles, at the same time ST 15 and CRIT FORCE (2) may seriously hurt multi-wound models (even more because it bypasses IMPENETRABLE ARMOR) , especially if you have INQUISITOR upgrade.
CC WARLORD or PS WARLORD, EMERALD BASTION – increases the survivability of the unit by reducing enemies RS by 2, especially effective if more than one unit has this art since you can stack up to -4 RS

ARMY COMPOSITION

I don't really see any reasons to field shielded version of the BROTHERHOOD TROOPERS especially when right next page we can read about SACRED WARRIORS which can do better anything you expect form CC TROOPERS (more about that in the post about SACRED WARRIORS). Nonetheless if you are determined to include them in the army the bigger the unit the bigger are chances they will get into combat. Any back attack will negate your greatest advantage so you must be extra careful if the opponent has any RAPID DEPLOYMENT units. There is always chance that he will decide that 12 points models aren't worth the effort, but you never know. As long as RAPID DEPLOYMENT is a threat you can employ this simple tactic: place two troopers facing forwards and behind them one facing backwards, this way front models will provide -4 to enemy RS when shooting the model going backwards, and the model at the back will provide the same support to models in front of him if RAPID DEP has decided to show up behind the unit.
As compulsory ART first I would take FORTITUDE OF THE PENITENT for increased IMPENETRABLE ARMOR, then MIGHT OF RECONING (if any) to increase the damage.

Completely opposite situations is with range troopers. Obviously everything depends on the points you play, but I would always like to have a unit or two in my army. SCOPES are absolute no brainers, one ART power is mandatory so the cost of typical unit should be 95 points. From that point it all depends how much you want to invest in the unit. In 750-1000 points games I think two five-men squads are fine, but in 1500 points game I would extend the number to ten men squads just to have additional SCOPES. As compulsory ART I will almost always take ASCENT OF RUBY LIGHT (to spam it as much as possible across the army), then if I have extra points EMERAL BASTION or CARDINAL'S SACRED DOMINION are always good options.

I hope you enjoyed reading and please leave comments.

Last edited by FabsterPL on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:36 pm 

Just one edit you might need to do here, you can't turn to burn to increase RoF on Psychic attacks since they aren't weapons.

But it's good to read a few in depths analyses of the Brotherhood units!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:12 pm 

Are you sure about that? I was sure that having weapon stats (that is: R, ST, ROR, AVV, TYPE) makes it weapon. Could you please write here any rules or give page numbers that would tell what makes weapon a "weapon"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 pm 

We got it from Prodos in a FB post, this discussion about it was concluded with that add-on.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1130&start=30#p11513

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm 

Thanks for that link, I will correct my posts as soon as possible (probably right after weekend). It's pitty thay Prodos officials prefere FB rather than official webpage of the game to solve such issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:17 pm 

Agreed, but at the same time I catch them posting stuff beyond what should be their normal working hours. Probably because they find it so much easier to answer through their phones and such. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 pm 

So the trooper unit buys the mandatory psychic power and when upgrading one to an inquisitor you get an additional for free?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:01 pm 

Fattyboom wrote:
So the trooper unit buys the mandatory psychic power and when upgrading one to an inquisitor you get an additional for free?

No, inquisitor squads get one for free. Upgrading the trooper squad commander to an inquisitor still makes it a trooper squad - so they have to pay.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:59 pm 

Anyone tried CC Troopers as shields/counter for cc? Or is this even legal

I`m thinking about running 8 guys with shields and Fortitude of the Penitent
If I cast the power they have 14 Impenetrable armor. I plan on using regular Troopers with Scopes/Inquisitors and just move them just behind the shield wall. this way the enemy either has to kill the 12 point trooper or gains an extra -4 to RS to inquisitors/scope troopers.

Does that make any sense? (I`m trying to justify buying 2 boxes of troopers and adding CC options :D)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:02 am 

Taking CC troopers with Fortitude is a contradiction in itself. On one hand you want to wait with their activation as long as possible on the other you want to have the most of the Fortitude.

To be honest I don't really see any reasons to choose them over Sacred Warriors. They have Fortitude build in (so no reason to activate them too fast). They cost only 14 points per wound, so only 2 points more that troopers and for that 2 points you have plenty of extra skills: much better CC, better ST, Heal, great CON (nightmare of any Imperial army).

And the most important thing SW come with the best gear card in the Brotherhood army so if you think about competitive game you will buy 3 boxes anyway.