It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:21 am 

In this short text I will try to give my impressions and ideas concerning Brotherhood units. Keep in mind that those are just my opinions (backed with only little experience) and they may change in the future. Most of the information given here is quite obvious but I hope that even more experienced players will find something interesting. I encourage you to leave comments and give your own ideas about presented units or units from other armies as well.

After some break I decided to continue writing my impressions and ideas about Brotherhood models. I deliberately left characters at the end just to get some more experience before giving my impressions. I'll start with BLESSED VESTAL LAURA because I think that it is the least appealing Warlord option in Brotherhood army and, in consequence, the easiest to write about. As a Warlord option she costs 190 what makes her the cheapest Warlord in the army. So what do we get for that points:

- the most important statistics (that is CC, WP, LD of (18) and A (16/11)) are probably as high as they can get, and make her somewhat reliable models,
- thanks to her presence we can take two units of VALKYRIES as TROOPS, therefore we get very cheap troops (that can RAPID DEPLOY) and still have empty support slots for more important units,
- on the other hand, she is a CC Warlord which means that she suffers from the same problems that other CC Warlords have, that is she must get to CC before doing anything,
- when she finally gets to CC the situation doesn't change dramatically (as with Alakhai) since she has only RoA (2) and in the best scenario ST (18), CRITICAL FORCE (2)
- she is the only warlord in the game with built in RAPID DEPLOYMENT, and only Bauhaus and Capitol can give the same options to the Warlords (but IMO for great cost), it may help her get to the CC faster but the possibility of losing her too quickly (and all the resource cards at the same time) is too great,

If the fact of being CC Warlord didn't cause enough problems she is also very restricted with the ART powers. ART OF MENTALISM is one of the best types but there are only four powers there and, what is worse, two of them aren't really worth taking:

GUIDED BY THE CARDINA'S FORESIGHT – getting HEAL (8) for a round is quite useful but the threat of being dealt CRITICAL FORCE (2) hit at the end of the round is just to risky to accept.
ENCOURAGED CORPOREAL FORTITUDE – I don't think she can use this power before being RD so it will not increase the chances of successful drop, besides LD and WP (18) is good enough without any improvements.
FORTITUDE OF PENITETNT – this is one of the two “must have” powers on her. It will increase her A to (18/13) or (18/14) in CC. On the top of that you can give her (+1/+1) from Sacred Armour Gear Card.
MIGHT OF RECKONING – another obvious choice, with +4 ST she can reach CRITICAL FORCE (2) level and become a bigger threat.

ARMY COMPOSITION

I don't really see any reason why anyone would like to field her as a Warlord (from the competitive point of view) apart form one: she is the only models in the game that lets you build entire army (or almost entire army) in RAPID DEPLOYMENT. What is more, that is not the same RD Capitol can have but something slightly better. With normal RD rules you drop only a single unit, do the actions and then let the enemy respond with his activation, here you can drop her and up to 3 units of GUARDI OBLATI at the same time (that is up to 18 GUARDI) without scattering and without the fear of being killed in that process. This is just like dropping the entire army of Dark Angels terminators right in front or behind the enemy lines. The most critical moment is the first drop and I'm not sure if OBLATI could arrive if she was deactivated after the unfortunate scatter, but the idea of starting the game out of the board and a moment later in the middle of combat is very amusing.

It is worth mentioning that apart from being a warlord LAURA can also be deployed as s Lord choice but, to be honest, I don't see any reason to field her as such. Crucifier is far better option if anyone is interested in using so expensive Lord.

WHERE NEEDED MOST ARMY LIST (1000 points):

BLESSED VESTAL LAURA 190

TROOPS VALKYRIES + FLAMETHROWER + FIRE FLOWER ART 70

TROOPS VALKYRIES + FLAMETHROWER + FIRE FLOWER ART 70

MINI LORD + RUBY LIGHT 35

MINI LORD + RUBY LIGHT 35

4x GUARDI OBLATI 200

4x GUARDI OBLATI 200

4x GUARDI OBLATI 200

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:23 am 

Well, there is another reason to take Laura for Warlord - her new model is just too awesome to pass :D

Also, nice analysis, FabsterPL! Keep them coming :D

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:53 pm 

I'm taking back everything I have said, she is the best Brotherhood Warlord :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:58 pm 

I plan on running her as a Lord with +-8 Valkyries.
She`ll have Might + Fortitude, they`ll have the 0 Action Points for Close Combat attack one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:44 am 

It seems to be very expensive unit, I just hope that they will pay off.

Keep in mind that you can only use 2 Art powers even if you have 3 between Laura and Valkyries.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:34 pm 

Oh, right. Then I might swap one for The Ruddy Bloom of the Fire Flower or Ruby Light

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:12 am 

What I said is that you should take away one art just to save some points, swapping one power into the other doesn't change anything, you can still use only two powers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:17 pm 

Can't remove any, he has to buy one for the Valkyries, and Laura gets 2 mentalism powers for free.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:01 pm 

Oh, silly me, you are of course right. So there is no reason to change anything.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:12 pm 

The powers make a change. If I disperse so I`m not into charge range, I can use the shooting power. If I`m close enough I can boost Strength/Armour/Con.