It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Unit Analyzed: Judicator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm 

In this short text I will try to give my impressions and ideas concerning Brotherhood units. Keep in mind that those are just my opinions (backed with only little experience) and they may change in the future. Most of the information given here is quite obvious but I hope that even more experienced players will find something interesting. I encourage you to leave comments and give your own ideas about presented units or units from other armies as well.

JUDICATOR is the only (so far) LIGHT WALKER option for BROTHERHOOD army. It may lack some of the heavy anti-vehicles long range power of other walkers but still it is very interesting option in the army and provides a lot of anti-infantry fire power (which is quite difficult to find in BROTHERHOOD). So what do we get for 125 points per model:
- CC and RS (15) are more than average and assure that JUDICATORS are not only range but also close combat threat. On the top of that for 2 TTB he gets re-rolls of range attacks which makes that model even more effective,
- if you decide to field maximum number of models you can get up to 36 ST (14) AVV (2) shoots with RS (15) and re-rolls to hit, [ EDIT:TTB(2) to have re-rolls is a weapon skill so you must pay the cost separately for every cannon you use ] that will require enormous number of cards to burn and 365 points, big investment but my we worth it,

Just like any other unit in BROTHERHOOD army JUDICATORS must take at least one ART power, here are some interesting options:

RANGED WARLORD, CARDINAL'S SACRED DOMINION- very useful ART, and probably the first choice for most of the army if you decide to field ranged warlord, if you use it JUDICATORS in the unit get impressive RS (17),
ANY WARLORD, EMERALD BASTION – reducing chances of hitting your models will increase survivability of the unit and any other units nearby, especially effective when you go for psychic and cc warlords, it is likely that you will chose to take multiple BASTIONS to increase the RS and/or CC modifier to (-4),

There are surprisingly few ART powers that would work well with this unit. I didn't name any Psychic (S) powers since they would prevent JUDICATORS from using their main weapon. [ EDIT: keep in mind that Psychic (s) powers aren't weapons so you can't use them with Torrent of fire action ] On the top of that being a vehicle makes some interesting powers completely useless, for example getting extra ST or IMPENETRABLE ARMOUR.

ARMY COMPOSITION

It is very easy to find units that can generate multiple attacks in close combat or that can generate a few long range, high damage shoots but it is very seldom to have more than RoF 2 (3 with TTB) across the army. The only exception is JUDICATOR, this is the only model that can have 5 or 10 shots per activation. In my opinion the best option for that model is to have it upgraded with an additional AC-100 CRUSADER CANNON to have total RoF 10 and shoot multi-wound targets like LORDS, WARLORDS, ATTILAS OR JUGGERNAUTS. AVV (2) means that JUDICATERS are also threat to any other LIGHT WALKERS so you can also target them when your RUBY LIGHTS are busy somewhere else. In games up to 750 points I would chose a single upgraded JUDICATOR for 165 points. I would add another one in the game for 1000 points. When you play Heavy OCC and 1500 points you may consider having three or more of them divided between two LIGHT WALKER slots just to have extra activation and an additional BASTION.

I hope you enjoined reading, and please leave comments.

Last edited by FabsterPL on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:47 am 

Are you not allowed to use a psychic power (s) and the crusader cannon?
I was under the impression a vehicle can shoot two guns per AP? Is the psychic (s) a main as the first cannon? is there a conflict in this?

Also I have been testing two cannons. Its pretty cool but a waste of points imo.
You first shoot your main gun with 5 shoots, and burned cards for re-roll misses. If you roll a natural 20 you are not allowed to shoot your 2nd weapon.
5% chance per dice 5 times I don't know the exact percentage to roll a 20 but..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:06 pm 

Fattyboom wrote:
Are you not allowed to use a psychic power (s) and the crusader cannon?
I was under the impression a vehicle can shoot two guns per AP? Is the psychic (s) a main as the first cannon? is there a conflict in this?

Also I have been testing two cannons. Its pretty cool but a waste of points imo.
You first shoot your main gun with 5 shoots, and burned cards for re-roll misses. If you roll a natural 20 you are not allowed to shoot your 2nd weapon.
5% chance per dice 5 times I don't know the exact percentage to roll a 20 but..

The art is not a weapon so it can not be combined with the crusader cannon and torrent of fire. Secondly, if you have 2 crusader cannons you shoot with them simultaneously, which means that a roll of a 20 does not matter for those 10 shots.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:07 pm 

Just like Pax wrote in rules section, Psychic (s) powers aren't weapons so you can't use them in Torrent of Fire action.

About the cannons, there is something that you misunderstand. When you make Torrent of Fire action this is ONE SHOOTING ACTION that cost two action points, not two shooting actions (that is against the rules) so rolling 20 on first gun will not prevent you from shooting the second one because the shooting is simultaneous (it may prevent you from doing other action after Torrent).

What you helped me realize is that TTB for re-rolls is weapon skill not model skill (I missed that one) so you must burn separately for every weapon. I will update that as soon as I have time.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm 

more Art thingies:

Guided by the Cardinal´s Foresight: Heal(8) isnt that bad. And a Str.12 Autohit with no AVV sounds cool, too.

Might of Reckoning: Care for Str.18 CC hits? Together with the gear card "martial focus" you can even increase this to Str.20.
(although perhaps the card "unrelenting slaughtering of sin" is better because it just denies armor and heal tests).

But all in all you are right. With a WP of only 14, only 70% of the spells will actually do something - and in 5% of the cases you roll a 20 and your turn is over. And that can be deadly - for the caster.

But apart from the deadly sword, this little bugger is the frikkin´ fortress of doom for every other player. Use a pair of them for 150 points each, upgrade each with a 15pt Art power, so that this team costs you 330 points. Both walkers can each shoot up to 11 shots at R18" with Str14. I dont think that most squads or light vehicles can live through this.

And apart from some sneaky stalkers, there is next to nothing stopping them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:15 pm 

Heal only helps against Wound effects, the Judicator is a vehicle and uses SP instead.

With a Ranged warlord the Art of Changeling could work, boosting the RS to 17 (or 85% chance to hit, vs 93.75% if using Double Tap at RS15).

Emerald Bastion or Emphatic Heart could also be used to give itself and friendly models some survivability.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:16 pm 

Oh, totally missed that then! Crap need to take of the swords then! :P

So you can shoot both at the same time, since it is one shooting that just costs two action points?

But the double tap says burn two cards and re-roll ANY failed rs tests that must include both in the torrent yes?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:33 pm 

In every situation in the game the rules under a weapon refer only to that weapon, the wording would suggest that it is for all shoots, but it is better to assume that it works only for one cannon and to be positively surprised in the end.

@ Might of Reckoning, I think I have read that since vehicles don't have ST as such any modifications to model's strength will not affect weapon's strength, but I would appreciate if someone could confirm that.