It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What do you use for AVV?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:51 am 

Just wondering what tools you guys use to kill vehicles. Played a game tonight where we used vehicles for the first time. The only thing that did any damage was my Orca whose aimed autocannon cored through a death droid. My list was the following

Henry Thomas
- old reliables
Light Infantry Squad (5)
Airborne (5)
Airborne (5)
Purple Sharks (2)
Orca

I kind of figured the airborne might do a bit with their missile launchers, but they were wiped out before they had a chance to fire. Some of the options i was looking at was banshees with anti vehicle grenades, or free marines with D-PAT, and C4. Just wondering what other use for Capitol.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:22 pm 

Drop your Air Cav behind cover, with the aim to attack in subsequent turns.

Massed AVV1/2 is good, particularly against an Exterminateur. Take Heavy Infantry, Purple Sharks (both ranged and via bombardment) and Sea Lions for that.

Free MArines are also a good choice- a DPAT-9 will have a good chance of penetrating it with AVV6 (meaning saves on 8 or less), and you'll also have C4 for throwing or getting in close and attaching to the target. Even if they take the M606, that's still AVV1.

Martian Banshees are another good choice for anti-vehicle work. Get behind the enemy and slap those Anti-Vehicle grenades on them!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:24 pm 

This is definitely something Capitol struggles with! Our whole army is made of troop-killing machines, but we lack many ways to damage vehicles, especially those with high AV values.

Against light vehicles, mass AVV2 shots like Wraith said is a solid bet. A heavy infantry squad rapid firing into a vehicle, or using their stims can throw an awful lot of dice. Simply forcing the enemy to make a bunch of tests is a good way to ensure that they'll eventually wiff a few. Sharks do this decently too, and especially have a good chance to get behind an enemy vehicle.

I actually advise against the rocket launcher for Free Marines. We don't have the crit-2 AVV7 rockets that Bauhaus or Cybertronic do, and a single AVV6 hit isn't really going to get the job done.

In basic games, we really struggle against vehicles. My personal strategy for dealing with necorbeasts for example, is simply to throw sacrificial light infantry at them, 1 per turn. Force the monster to spend its entire activation killing one trooper, (stay in the center of its front arc and get as close as possible - bikes must move 1 inch before turning so it cannot simply choose to use its 1 AP to drive away) and focus instead of killing the rest of the force.

Banshees do decently if you can get behind the target.

I've just picked up a Leviathan which I plan to use strictly for hunting tanks! Sure it costs 3 resources, but activating executioner/assassin ammo quite humorously makes it an anti-vehicle monster. Sure it's only AVV1, but crit-damage 3 and 8 shots mean that you're likely to wreck light walkers.

I have not yet played against any heavy vehicles with AV 17+, and I'm not sure how best to deal with them.

If you are playing an advanced game however, the Plasma Warheads card for aircav is amazing. AVV10 and crit damage 2. Costs 2 cards per rocket, but these guys absolutely change the tank-hunting game for Capitol!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:34 pm 

Heavy infantry can knocks holes in vehicles with their cannons pretty well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:05 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sure seems like heavy infantry are just to good to not take. So what I gather is the best way is just mass low AVV shots and plink away at vehicles. Also give sea lions a bit of a leg up on free marines if your plan is to just chip away at vehicles.