It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Capitol playstyle
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:43 am 

Being faithful to the tradition that wants me to change opinion about my army choice every day, I placed my pledged order and some hours later I asked for it to be reset. The reason is that I am torn between Capitol and Dark Legion. So, I hoped that by clarifying a couple of things for me, you might help me decide.

1) What is the gameplay style of each faction? I know that Capitol is all air superiority, etc, but how does this translate in game terms?
2) Which faction of the two has a more elite take?
3) What is the gameplay difference between Free Marines and Sea Lions?
4) When I was still playing 40k, I had a Space Marines army with lots of Terminators, Dreadnoughts and elite infantry in general (my approach to Dark Legion would be similarly based on lots of Praetorian Stalkers, Razides, etc). Based on this, which faction would you recommend me (it does have to be Capitol or Dark Legion).
5) Can anyone give me a breakdown of the gameplay styles of the other factions?

In my initial pledge I had taken the starter plus every kit from the Capitol range (some of them in double copies). I might trade some of the Capitol "double" kits for Dark Legion or some other faction minis.

Post subject: Re: Capitol playstyle
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm 

The dark legion have cheaper troops but more expensive elites. I would say a Capitol army could be smaller if he rumours about mitch hunter and big bob making either sealions or freemarines troops. But note that regardless of which army you pick warzone is designed for smaller battles.

of course a praetorian behemoth would reduce the number of models in your army vastly.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:47 pm 

TheDungen wrote:
The dark legion have cheaper troops but more expensive elites. I would say a Capitol army could be smaller if he rumours about mitch hunter and big bob making either sealions or freemarines troops. But note that regardless of which army you pick warzone is designed for smaller battles.

of course a praetorian behemoth would reduce the number of models in your army vastly.

Thanks for your reply. Anyone willing to go into more details about what I asked? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm 

1) What is the gameplay style of each faction? I know that Capitol is all air superiority, etc, but how does this translate in game terms?

We can only speak from previous editions experience. In the 1st ed. (Resurrection was supposed to be based mainly on that one) Capitol had two special rules: deployment by helicopters (drawback that the heli could be shot down) and off-board helicopter airstrike (called by NCOs and officers or only officers, i don't remember). Capitol had some fast flying units, but generally was weak in Close Combat relying mostly on mid-range. There was only one unit specialized in CC (Sunset Strikers) but both Free Marines and Sea Lions had CC weapons (Punisher blades). capitol had also fast flying units: Martial Banshees and two types of shark and one recon flying bike. In general, very mobile army but not CC. You could get from the start good position to shoot or move from to capture objectives.

2) Which faction of the two has a more elite take?

Capitol was all about special forces (by the end of 1st ed there were over 7 different ones), but as said before, DL had cheap basic troops and very expensive elites

3) What is the gameplay difference between Free Marines and Sea Lions?

They were both special forces with the same stats and weapons (M50 assault rifle and punisher blades). Sea Lions had weaker armor and jungle training, Free Marines could be deployed hidden and waiting anywhere in the board more less.

Hope it helps a bit

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:44 pm 

praetor24 wrote:
TheDungen wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Anyone willing to go into more details about what I asked? :)

well with the current rules unreleased we can really only discuss what used to be the case.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:41 pm 

I am not at liberty to tell people rules, nor would I want to reveal too much, but I can tell you the following:

Capitol will have a representation in game of their air superiority that AFAIK, is differently presented from any previous edition. It's less clunky and easier to work out.

Capitol remains the faction with the most special forces. It's units are very specific though, so it will often come down the the specific special rules for the unit to determine its validity in your force.

Certain characters will unlock certain abilities in some units, and alter the way they exist on the force organisation chart. Whether it makes them troops or not I cannot guarantee.

I hope this helps a little!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:51 am 

rob_alderman, as you are close to Prodos. do you know if they will reveal something about the book before we actually see it? I mean right now a lot of us are worried about such little time since the kickstarter started that may affect the rulebook and rules in general. So many miniatures are supposed to be released in June and August, when did Prodos et al. had the time to playtest the stats and work on game balance? Will rulebook feature painted miniatures and some new art or mostly the old one? Again not much time to paint so many miniatures and commission artists. Personally I am worried that it will affect the quality as I expect at least the same quality of old rulebooks.
I would really like to hear from Prodos about that.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:58 am 

At the end of the day pick the army that aesthetically appeals to you the most. For me I know 150% that I'll love the Sea Lions and their playstyle. Capitol is all about the WWII mixed with Vietnam American style. Legion will have some neat possibilities being the purely evil faction and the ability to convert all kinds of crazy things. You want a small elite army, Go with legion. Tough units and crazy things to mess up other factions tech is always good.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:53 am 

Seven, in answer to your questions:

1. I cannot confirm if Prodos will show pages before release. I have seen them and they blew me away.
2. Stats and Game Balance have been considered since before the KS. Using mathematical theory to balance things.
3. I cannot discuss the content of the visual resources contained within the rulebook in too much depth, as I think they want to keep it a surprise. I can confirm that both old and new illustrations are being used.
4. Ha! No time to commission artists? No, they definately have had enough time!
5. If you are expecting the same quality as the old ones, you are going to be blown away. This rulebook will have a heft to it, hardcover, full colour interior, expanded background and fluff, awesome new rules and ways to play your game. It's advanced Warzone in a way that previously, no-one has ever considered.

So worry not! :D

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:54 am 

Ufffff thank you Rob. No more questions, your answers are good enough to stop me worrying. :) I'll just wait patiently