It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:20 am 

diggitydug wrote:
As a Mobile vehicle sniper, one shot for 105 points is not much quality. A chasseur squad with a Critical Damage(2) Rocket Launcher is 95 points, and they have ROF 2 weapons on the other 4 guys. I think +1 STR on the rail, and take 2 per slot, and we have a balanced winner.

I think the weapon is good enough, str 15 is quite a lot. Even more so as it has 32" range which is very uncommon. I don't think prodos intentions is that the voltigeur should be a sniper platform, rather it is the drone stuff that is the main focus. So if anything should be done to the voltigeur, I would look at other like boosting drones, or allowing 2 in one slot perhaps.

With that said, I personally don't want to say to much about how armies should change this early in the game. For one only Prodos knows what is intended for each army in the future (they could release something that works perfectly with the voltigeur in it's current form) and to see the full picture of a units value a lot of games have to be played. That is even more true for odd units like voltigeur that has more to it than shooting stuff. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:06 pm 

I think you misunderstand what I am trying to get out. I think the primary purpose of the Voltiger is to support Cybertronic on the battlefield - great mine fields and repair vehicles. I am just saying that as a secondary function is can act in a sniper role due to the range and strength of the weapon. Its range can cover a huge section of the board.

I still think it needs to have a 1-2 option per slot, but I also have to wonder if the limit has anything to do with future Cybertronic releases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:44 pm 

I agree that the rifle is not the main focus of the vehicle, nor does it shine when compared to a Chasseur squad with a RL. However, it does not compete for a slot with Chasseurs. Once you've taken 4 squads of Chasseurs, you can't take more. That's where the Voltigeur come in.

(That being said, I won't use it until I play Heavy games. It will be a mechanic for the EDD's I'll field.)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:04 am 

One other thing to note is the cards that will come with it. I recall Jarek (I think) mentioning this about the EDD when it was pointed out that the Orca is far more powerful in terms of bang for buck. If the Voltiger has a decent set of cards, that may make a difference (at least in advanced games).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 pm 

Does that mean they are balancing troop types/choices with cards? So what does that mean for the basic game?