It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:45 pm 

So, I'm working on a series of articles breaking down the pros and cons of all the army-selectable special skills (in our case, Enhancements). Anyone way to give it a read and let me know what I missed entirely?

Hope you enjoy it!

http://lxg-blog.blogspot.com/2013/12/ar ... ecial.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:13 pm 

Great work :) I cannot wait for your analysis of Ki Powers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:38 am 

Thanks Shadow Walker!

Don't worry, Mishima is already in the can, and will be posted up next week- probably sometime after the first. Some really good and interesting material in that one too. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 pm 

Nice to see your analysis! I think the enhancements are very interesting as they are so different from the other factions where the Warlord type dictates your choices.

Quote:
OPTICAL ENHANCEMENT: +1 RS. For half the cost of Sonicator Receptor Array. Pros: stacks with Sonicator if you wanted the +3 RS to make sure you never miss, or with the Weapons Cyber-Link for a +1 always, +4 when aiming bonus. Cons: this one is pricey for medium and larger bases, and not cost effective for smaller ones. Verdict: Chasseurs (regular or armored) are better off mathematically adding a bloke. Aside from possibly the Attila, Scorpion, and EDD, everything else should get stuck in. Math just isn't in this guy's favor.

Not sure on this one.
Adding one Chasseur to a unit only adds two shots, while adding this upgrade adds a +1 modifier to 10 shots. So is it really more effective to get one extra guy for two more shots? Someone with some ace math skills can probably calculate this one, but I am not sure of the outcome.
For smaller squads like Atillas it is great. They have good firepower and come in small squads, so the investment is fine.

Quote:
STEEL SKIN: +1 armor Pros: arguably the same benefit as Cell Neogenesis Acceleration, for roughly half the cost. Cons: unlikely to cause any major changes. Verdict: for Chasseurs of either flavor, the net result is identical to just buying more models. Slightly worse than that for Mirrormen. It's probably best utilized for lords and small units like Attilas who cannot simply deploy more models.

Once again a terrific enhancement for medium based squads as they're small. It makes Machinators a whopping A18! Stack in some bonuses from cards and they rival the Immortal in Immortality.

Quote:
WEAPONS OVERHAUL: The St of the unit's weapons (ranged and melee) are increased by one. Pros: one of the few enhancements that is likely to see use from every model, every turn. It also stacks with Mitochondrial Infusion to make great CC hammers. Cons: its cost prohibitive: in Chassuers of both flavors you're better off adding models- even if only very slightly. Verdict: Where you really need it, this is good. In units expecting to engage both in ranged and melee combat, it's a good buy. Across an entire army though it's unproductive.

I think this one's great. Armoured Chasseurs become plain nasty with ST14 guns...that's LMG power! Stick it on a good sized squad with 1 (or 2) TSW4000 and you have a unit of lawnmowers. Combined with their Blink power and good Armour stat I think will make them a powerful core unit in your force.