It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:29 pm 

I'm not awake enough to math out other variables, but doesn't having the ability to turn and burn for another card also increase the likelyhood you will get what you want? Say for a Tech Warlord +3 squads with a squad commander giving you 7 resource, wouldn't that give you 7 additiotnal chances of finding what you want?

And wow, I just realized how sick a tech warlord could be for Capitol with their troop commanders giving up double resource. That's what, 16 resource potential in the normal OOC? 4 for Tech Warlord and up to.... no, that's 12. Up to 8 more with that Commander trait.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 pm 

You can never rely on the cards to win you the game but you can have a plan considering what you might draw, thus it's better to go for fewer kinds and more of each kind (with the exception of very expansive cards that may become unplayable later in the game), which means going heavier on tactics cards than on strategy and gear, which most sets would seem to be tailored for anyway. Personally I prefer gear cards to strategy cards for the simple reason that they are generally cheaper which means that even if you don't draw them initially (which you arent all that likely to do) you can still use them when they show up.

And yeah that is kind of sick, on the other hand killing of a tech warlord should be easier than killing of one of the others. But that won't solve the fact that they are going to have loads because of their troop commanders.

As for the turn to burn to draw cards that just adds to the necessity of having cheap cards so you can make sure you have less than 5 on hand while still having resources to turn to draw. But it does make the expensive cards a little more playable.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:51 pm 

I've never relied on cards in my tactical games before and I don't think I'll rely on them winning me the game now. They just appear to have some flavor to add into the mix of the game. A little more sense of mystery for each player on how their opponent will employ their tactics. It's just another aspect of a tactical game to me.

I've liked all of the cards fairly equally in terms of preference between strategy and gear. I've looked over the cards and have seen quite a number of combinations during deck building that I would like to employ. I'm hoping a few of the Dark Legion players that have their forces set up will toss up a few 'advanced' battle reports to show off their style of card trickery.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:10 pm 

Oh they can probably win the game for you but they will do so or not depending on how you use them relating to the situation on the battlefield. But basing an entire strategy on one card showing up is a bad idea, especially if that card isn't a tactical card.

Have anyone noticed that the close combat warlord get more resource cards in advanced games in the PDF than the tech warlord. Doesnt that kind of remove the entire point of tech warlords?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:55 pm 

I'm thinking this from what I've seen thus far

5x Corrosion (allows me to cross the board more unharmed, for 1)
5xMoment of clarity (let's my UL run, for 1 resource)
5xbloodlust (for 2 I can either boost my assault or force the enemy not to shoot at me)
3xblessing of algeroth (for just 1 I can assure that me heavy weapons remain in play)
4x touched by the dark mistress (unsure about these they are good but a tad bit expensive at 3)
3x unleashed (expensive but movement cards are great for a force like dark legion)
3x black liquid grenade (3 is cheap for a gear card and everyone likes making more UL)
3x Unnatural advance (My favourite card, a free run action for 3)
4x dark technology warp (again to keep the incoming fire down, for a mere 2)