It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:58 pm 

While costing up a 500 point army for the Dark Legion based purely on what you find in the starter box (and without making any 'counts as' choices, e.g. Necromutant Squad leader) I was reminded of an earlier discussion from August last year regarding the points value of the starters. I have so far had no trouble in turning the Bauhaus and Capitol starer boxes (only) into ~500 point armies with minimal squad or force upgrades but since Alakhai can't take Dark Symmetry cards (unless I've missed something in the rules) the best I can manage is 427 points and that's with each of the two five-man UL squads taking a pair of Valchecks HMGs. Being ~73 points shy is pretty significant when you consider the lack of upgrade options available to a player with this starter. In fact, that's the cost of another UL squad with a pair of Valchecks with 7 points in change.. or two points short of another Razide!

Since it is also thematically in keeping with everyone's idea of Undead Legionnaires (low quality troops in large quantities!) how would you all feel if Prodos increased the price of the DL starter and added in another 5 man squad of Legionnaires?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:37 am 

If they were to add anything it should be a set of Necromutant squad commanders, that way you troops give resources.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:38 am 

I'm sorry but this is the way it usually is, horde armies get less points than none horde armies in starters and generally costs more over all.
I think we can expect to tell anyone who wishes to play dark legion that they should get an extra pack of necromutants for the foreseeable future. I doubt Prodos will diverge from their 10 troops 1 warlord and 1 light vehicle/support formula any time soon.

Though they did with capitol didn't they? And it can't cost more to produce two necromutants than 1 purple shark.

Anyway I'm with Jim on this one I'd much prefer two necromutant squad leaders to 5 more brainless legionaries.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am 

I think 5 additional UL's would be more thematic but yeah I have to agree that two Necromutant squad leaders would work just as well since they are only 10 points cheaper than a new 5 man squad and should - in theory - be easier and cheaper for Prodos to include. Or the DL needs some kind of force upgrade system beyond the Dark Symmetry.. although we might have to wait for the next book to see that :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:09 pm 

They could just let Alakhai take symmetry of course, he's described as having enormous skill with the dark symmetry in the RPG after all. That's how I would solve the imbalance with house rules if you only have the starter box, just let alakhai take one or two symmetry powers and you're good.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:15 pm 

Yeah, absolutely. Giving him access to two Dark Symmetry powers would also work and I think, even as a house rule, it's the best solution for players wanting to get started when they only have the starter box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:19 pm 

Maybe one or two necromutants without increasing the price of the starter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:25 pm 

I guess that Starters are not all about being 500points each. Check a Brotherhood one. ~520 without any Art chosen. Same story with Imperial which is below 400pts. Starters are about getting 2 small units, a leader and some big guns. Everything in one small box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:40 pm 

Imperial? ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:46 pm 

MiSiO wrote:
I guess that Starters are not all about being 500points each. Check a Brotherhood one. ~520 without any Art chosen. Same story with Imperial which is below 400pts. Starters are about getting 2 small units, a leader and some big guns. Everything in one small box.

Yeah but they have already broken that formula with Capitol