It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:02 am 

I might be missing something, but I found a few cards I think would be quite devious to use. At first I thought they might just be useful for DL forces, but I am thinking that there is a far sinister application for a few.

First up is Blood Lust. If we can cast it on a notable enemy ranged combatant, their ROF would go to 0 for the tradeoff of ROA +1. Can... we do that to our opponents? If so, we could potentially completely shut down a squad from shooting our juicy targets.

Second is An Eye For An Eye where every model in the target squad becomes weak against flamers (Say hello to our many flamer weapons!) While boosting another area.... perfect for a unit of Stalkers to lay a few templates down.

There was another one, but I can't find the card at the moment. Anyhow, all this on top of the Plasma shenanigans we can create, I think we have the making of a reaallly nasty card set for our forces.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:47 pm 

I completely agree our card deck is appropriately evil! We have some of IMHO most powerful cards in WZR.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 pm 

35 card minimum... I'm thinking a bunch of screw you tactical cards, a few beneficial tactical and strat cards, and a set of equipment cards. Even though it looks like I want my Capitol deck to be a little larger, I'm finding that making my Dark Legion deck small in order to get what I want out of it quickly will be best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 pm 

That is a pretty sound plan, once I make my standard Legion deck, I'll let you know how many cards make it in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:24 am 

The most problematic thing with the cards is that you cant rely on them. During the course of a game, you will probably see 10-12 cards (5 at the start and then 1 per turn if you play one and can draw again). that means that there are a lot of cards that you wont see - so you´d better include the maximum number of each card to enhance probabilities.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:47 am 

I figure that minimizing types while maximizing numbers in what you have will allow for the best chance of drawing what you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:03 am 

No different than MTG, you can't force luck but you can certainly increase your odds of getting that card you want.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 pm 

TheDungen wrote:
No different than MTG, you can't force luck but you can certainly increase your odds of getting that card you want.

That isn't a fair comparison at all and misses Dunnagh's point.

In MtG you have many more turns and draw a far larger proportion of your library.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:50 pm 

If You play vs Legion just burn as many cards to force a hand discard. If DL player burn to Draw there might not be enough T2B cards to play anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:02 pm 

true but MTG require a 60 card deck while WZR only 35 you can also have up to 5 of the same tactical cards in the deck and 3 of the other kinds.

thus by minimizing deck size and having full number of the card you want you can have the chance 1-(30!/25!)/(35!/30!)= 56% of drawing a tactical card and 1-(32!/27!)/(35!/30!)=40% of gear or strategy cards on the initial draw.

Now you can never rely on having a specific card on your hand but you can have a pretty good idea of what the cards that you could end up with are.

In comparison a magic player has 1-((56!/49!)/(60!/53!)=40% at best of drawing any specific card on the initial draw (aside from basic land cards). And yeah they have more turns but then again it's usually the initial hand that decides who wins and loses.

The formula I use is n= number of cards drawn, k = number of cards in deck, m = number of the specific card in the deck, 1-((k-m)!/((k-m)-n)!/(k!)/(k-n)! easy combinatorics.