It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 pm 

So, I'm currently assembling my DL force, which will feature a heavy amount of Legionnaires (my go to Troops choice). Now, I need some advice from people who have played more than I have. What heavy weapons are you putting on them?

I'm mostly interested in feedback from people who have played the advanced game, as some of the cards have an insane effect on Legionnaires. Making every Legionnaire be able to reroll CC and RS skills is huge. For example, if you have 4 10 man squads with Valchecks. That's 16*3 shots rerolling to hits, and thats just from the HMGs. The flamer is also attractive due to low cost, the fact that it doesn't require RS checks to hit and it has AVV5. Furtermore, it's a close range weapon and you'll want the Legionnaires close to take advantage of the NM's ability to add more of them.

Help med decide what to put on them!

EDIT: I should add that my Warlord is Alakhai and that they'll be supported by Necrobeast Riders and Razides mostly. Subject to change if the Valpurgius model is cool!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:01 pm 

I have played many games and I go 10 Legionnaire strong squads with 2 Valcheck and 2 Plaguedealers. I have found this to make the squad very well rounded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:48 pm 

Like Jim mentioned the 2 Val + 2 PB makes a nice balance with the only con being you might never get in Flamer range and losing out on some additional Black Bullet shots.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:11 am 

Big Jim V wrote:
I have played many games and I go 10 Legionnaire strong squads with 2 Valcheck and 2 Plaguedealers. I have found this to make the squad very well rounded.

Quote:
Like Jim mentioned the 2 Val + 2 PB makes a nice balance with the only con being you might never get in Flamer range and losing out on some additional Black Bullet shots.

Dont you feel like you are wasting potential? I'm mostly thinking about advanced game here, and there is a card which allows UL to reroll all CC and RS tests. That would be insane with fully ladden LMG squads (10 man with NM and 4 LMGs). True bulletstorm.

Me, I always try to assign squads a role, and gear them for that roll. If they can do another roll as backup, thats really good, but they have a main roll, and I can't let that "suffer" due to their secondary roll. I'm just trying to decide wether to have them all as LMG guys, all as Flamer guys, or 2 squads of each maybe. I probably wont be mixing within squads. Thanks for the tips though!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:36 pm 

While your right the 2 Val + 2 PD is not as roll specific as 4 Val it does let you handle models in cover or Wall of Flame actions.

For the most part I like to run 4 Val so I can take advantage of Black Bullets not necessarily anything from the cards since our group is still sticking with Basic games. There's been a few cases I wished for some PD but those were rare instances in which the Legionnaires actually made it to the enemy with the special weapons still up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:05 pm 

Kurt_R wrote:
While your right the 2 Val + 2 PD is not as roll specific as 4 Val it does let you handle models in cover or Wall of Flame actions.

For the most part I like to run 4 Val so I can take advantage of Black Bullets not necessarily anything from the cards since our group is still sticking with Basic games. There's been a few cases I wished for some PD but those were rare instances in which the Legionnaires actually made it to the enemy with the special weapons still up.

This is my thought as well. My intial thoughts were along the lines of "for basic game, I would rather have flamers, for advanced game, I want guns". I've actually settled on guns now. If I want something with flamers, I'll either include one squad of Necromutants, or some Razides with Heavy Plaguedealers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:34 pm 

Yep that's how I run my Legion as well and it seems to work out pretty good especially when I can have a Razide follow around a Necro squad. Plus I also use Stalkers in the same army list so eventually I can really enjoy some of the nastier DL cards...:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46 am 

I tend to use the guns. My Legionnaires die before they arrive at the scene. I´d think about using flamers against a cc oriented list