It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Timothy Macguire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:44 pm 

Tried Timothy out as my warlord in a game today and he is an absolute beast. He beat Valerie Duval back into last weak with a single attack and then stomped all over her Etoiles Mortant friends like Godzilla in downtown Tokyo. I had him deployed with my main force and that worked out well since my opponent dropped Miss Duval and ten Etoiles Mortants right on top of him and the groups he was with. His The Fog skill mostly kept my main force safe from Steiner's wrath, but hinged on me either winning the initiative every turn or putting enough pressure on Bauhaus's fire support to keep their attention away from Macguire and his guys.

My use of him worked quite well, but wasn't very imaginative. I thought of using animal tactics with him, but decided against it since there was very little area terrain on the table, it would've deprived me on eight resources for the first turns and left my fire support open to the Mortants' brutal rapid deployment assaults. Things still didn't turn out well for my trenchers, but Macguire really evened the odds in that scrap. The game was quite small so I couldn't afford a lord or Golden Lions.

Who else have used this guy and how. Successes, failures, dos and don'ts?

Do
...keep him around places where you expect rapidly deployed enemies because of Hunter's Intuition.
...activate him early and use The Fog to create a massive protecting bubble that allows you to close in on the enemy.
...combine him with close combat-oriented units and create a foggy ball of death.

Don't
...deploy him using Animal Tactic if he is the warlord since it will lock up your resources.
...deploy him anywhere without support. He is tough, but not _that_ tough.

Post subject: Re: Timothy Macguire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:40 pm 

I've been using him almost every game and yea hes nuts. Hes slightly weaker in melee than a Golden Lion due to 1 less attack base (thus, 2 less if he burns a card for double attacks) but he has a nasty gun to more than make up for it. Tbh i never put him in melee except against a random vehicle or if my opponent gets too close with something else, because the gun is nastier anyway. Plus, the EMP side of it really ticks off Bastion spamming brotherhood...lol...just be mindful of your own tokens since it doesnt state "non-friendly tokens"

Usually i have him ahead of my troops covering my Golden Lions. I use his Haste ability to get my trenchers in an ideal position WAY faster than normal (running 12" turn 1 is amazing) so they can pop out targeting beacons to boost my Grey Ghosts/Hurricane/Greyhounds shooting.

I've actually thought about bringing him as a Lord in a Wolfbane heavy army purely because of his The Fog ability. Expensive even as a Lord and doesnt give me any Silent Howl points, but he can basically deploy with my infiltrating troops via Animal Tactics and keep them from being shot up before they charge something. Still building my wolfbanes though so i havent actually tried this, plus i imagine my friends would get pissed at me since they hate him as it is rofl

The Fog isnt as broken as people think it is, since it doesnt say they ignore shooting attacks its any RS test/psychic shooting. You can simply target their "feet" to bypass the rule, scatter into them, or hit them with an autohit weapon (flamers) that dont require an RS test to begin with. All it means is troops, i.e. the bulk of fire, cant do squat to units in 8" (i admit i think its a little large though lol)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:09 am 

Good point about using him to rush trenchers into a forward position.

Actually, The Fog doesn't seem to have anything to do with RS tests. The rule says "...every Model within 8” of MacGuire (including himself) cannot make or be targeted by Ranged attacks this Game Turn." This means that anyone wielding a flamer has to be outside the fog. If they are inside, they can't use the flamer. The flame template is roughly 7" long so it'll be a hassle to get really good hits, but yea, flamers and long range attacks with the type "(G)" can bypass The Fog by targeting the ground/the air around the models.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm 

One fun way to unpick that ball of death is to drop Armoured Chasseurs next to them and ST the whole lot to death. If you're caught in the fog just blink out of it and do the same. The fun thing about STs is that you can boost ROF with TTB.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:51 pm 

Um...thanks for saying that bit because apparently i COMPLETELY misread his rules lol. The tactic ive been doing plays the way its suppose to be read but i have been guilty of shooting out of the fog. Didnt notice i cant shoot OUT of the fog as well. I feel like a dick now for misusing that rule for about ~15 games lol.

Though that also brings another tactic to mind. It doesnt discriminate, it just says Models correct? Activate it and charge something nearby something that has a nasty gun - bam, they cant shoot unless they can clear the 8" bubble. That just sounds....evil....against a certain someone in my group lol.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 am 

Yep, that works... although just by engaging them you're shutting down the fire of that weapon as well. Plus, special weapons are often (H), so their ROA is reduced to 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:02 pm 

About Hunter's Intuition, it says that "Any enemy Model using the Rapid Deployment special skill within 8” of a Golden Lion Model receives an autohit from the Golden Lion Squad at St13 Plasma AVV3." Does this rule work the way I think it does? If my opponent RD 30 models within 8" of my Golden Lions, or Macguire for that matter, does that really mean 30 autohits? Now, normally you wouldn't deploy 30 models within that area, but it's technically possible. The exaggerated number is to highlight how powerful this rule seems.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:22 am 

Yes actually. Thats the tradeoff of it being "Golden Lions squad" rather than simply "Golden Lion"
If it said the latter, that would be 90 shots as it is written right now. Each one of your trio of lions fires a shot that autohits. Even though i consider this gun to be kinda lame for how expensive the Lions are, pfft that would be insane and go along my thought pattern of Ork Boyz from 40k - Our gunz suk, BUT WE HAZ A LOT O DEM! - spamming low strength/medium strength weapons is often better than a few big weapons.

Its suppose to deter you from RD'ing close to lions and creates a bubble of not super deadly but concerning area to land in.

Logic would dictate that Timothy doesnt have this rule since he doesnt have the gun its describing (even if it isnt directly saying its being shot to avoid the RoF difference problem) but all his rules say is he lacks the equipment, but has all the rules. Tbh i usually forget about this rule since i almost never face RD and when i do theyre going behind my trenchers not near my lions lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:25 am 

"Each Model"..."an autohit". One hit per enemy model. Otherwise it would say that it receives an autohit from *each Golden Lion*.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:45 am 

Thanks. I needed confirmation on reading that correctly. RD troops that wish to land close to golden lions need some heavy protection then or they'll risk taking somewhere around 50 % casualties.