It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:00 pm 

I've ordered a wolfbane starter, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to grab a couple of the add-on sprues for the commandos. Are they just better as a straight up close combat unit, or is it worth having a unit of them with ranged attacks?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 pm 

Hand rippers aren't that great on their own, but I can see them working with the Wolfbanes' Savage Charge skill. On the other hand, the bastard swords will do horrendous damage if you get to charge the enemy. It's a super offensive fighting style or a more rounded one. The charger might be good either way. If it was me I'd probably get an upgrade kit or two and experiment a bit to see what works.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:10 am 

The thing is, its more like a sidegrade than anything else.

The flimsy nature of the swords made me heavily weigh whether i wanted to buy the addon or not. I ended up getting them for 3 reasons in the end:
1) Durable. The broadswords are so flimsy i had 7 out of 20 broken in the box. I fixed most of them then thought if they broke that easy theyre going to break again, and its much harder to fix a thin piece of a model when its painted.
2) Defensively better. Broadswords are by far better if you can get the engage off, but what if you get hit first? You are now forced to strike with a single attack and have no invul. The rippers give you 2 attacks at the cost of 1 strength and an invul save in melee. Thats pretty substantial when the only real perk the broadswords have 3 attacks on the engage.
3) Pistol. Dont get me wrong, i'd rather rush as fast as i can to get into combat. But you are BOUND to have turns where you simply cannot get up that close. So you either sit there like an idiot hoping to not get countercharged, or you take some potshots and take some lives.

In the grand scheme of things i consider them about 50-50 which is better because if you get the engage, broadswords will do way more damage every time. But in my experience thus far, its hard to get the engage most of the time because it seems like every army EXCEPT ours all their melee units ignore terrain. My Golden Lions almost never get the charge despite movement of 6 when engaging because of terrain in the way (except the turn they arrive obviously since thats guarantee charge). Other units have ranger or some other rule for the same effect/worse and get their 10" charge off before i can get my 12" thanks to 1-2 Light Terrain or Heavy Terrain in the damn way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 am 

well that's a bummer to hear that the swords are flimsy, I had hoped they had learned their lesson in casting swords to thin from the first wave of models.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:03 am 

To be fair, the Clansman swords the pathfinders use are thick enough to not really be a problem. And the models i bought are one of the first commandos released so its possible they changed the material considering theyre on a completely separate sprue. Unlikely but possible.

Resin weapons in general, even the guns, is typically a bad idea. I really wish they'd cast them in a more rigid material even if it meant the detail died a little bit. I'd rather have a whole model that looks "good" than an amazing model that loses its weapon from time to time because its so flimsy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:57 pm 

And of course now that they buffed the bastard sword's base stats im kinda peeved i modeled 20 wolfbane commandos with rippers lol. I justified buying them because theyre defensively better and only slightly weaker offensively, well now they are BARELY better defensively and still slightly weaker offensively. Grrr lol