It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm 

Clansmen straight up, we need some fundamentalistic militia besides the regular troops.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 am 

Storm Trenchers
Young Guards
Clansmen is that not wolfbanes?

just like 1 edition capitol infantry was made in to "admiral colbys guard". just a way to make use of old minis.

But, if they produce a box of regular blood berets and a sprue of add-ons that includes weapons, gadgets, heads, and some well done alternative shoulderpads, that keep the line of the whole faction but, at the same time, emphasize the unit diversity Ill be ok.

semai99 wrote:
Hector Barca wrote:
As I understood your previous message, the shoulderpads had different shapes, not only different relieves.

But woth the relieves I see another problem, they ussually are so poorly done, someone is doing relieves in their miniatures, even in their shoulder pads, with an absolut lack of finesse, resulting in a piece double the size it is suposed to be.

But, if they produce a box of regular blood berets and a sprue of add-ons that includes weapons, gadgets, heads, and some well done alternative shoulderpads, that keep the line of the whole faction but, at the same time, emphasize the unit diversity Ill be ok.

One difference with the design of these to some other projects especially the original WZ figures is these are digitally rendered rather than hand sculpted as far as I can tell, this means the relieves on any shoulder pads can be a lot flatter/thinner than you could sculpt by hand.

There maybe some slight discrepancy between each of the clans/elites armour as they personalise themselves to their clan and in the old fluff Imperial was made up of lots of smaller companies so it can depend on which company is producing the parts for there weapons/armour for the slight change in looks, that's the way I've always seen the workings of the Imperials, I've always wanted to do a unit of Regulars & Trenchers with Kilts to have an entire Scottish clan themed army.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:20 am 

There are Highlander and Wolfbanes. Both a similar but not the same. So far no version of Warzone ever tried to get both into the game.

About the armor of the special units. If they would use all the same armor then I would expect they have all the same armor value but that never happened in all previous WZ versions. If they don't have the same values they don't wear the same armor then they can look different.

Each special unit has different tasks and special abilities. I would expect that the armor of the units are adapted for each units needs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:03 am 

Actually, the only Imperial Special Forces unit to not get A24 is the Shamrocks. Note that characters tended to get a bump of about 2 points in their armour, so heroes should beef up a bit. But every standard trooper from Blood Beret to Sterling was A24 with the Shamrocks being the odd men out.

So you really could use the same style of armour for 'em. It would be far more economical to do so as well, stores don't have much patience for niche games with millions of SKUs after all (unless they are popular that is). So having some generic sculpts that can be turned to multiple purposes is actually a great plan that can extend the worth of a sprue. Things like Imperial Special Forces sprues would be perfect for plastic production because they would be handy for a variety of units instead of being single-serving boxes. When you consider that there are a dozen special forces units (only counting the major ones that go actual rules), making that many unique boxes would be a huge pain and stores would have trouble stocking them all. But create one flexible SKU and you make the LGS happy, you make your pocket book happy and you still get players a quality kit with a lot of bits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 pm 

Do you double checked with the 1st, the UWZ, or some RPG book regarding AR values?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:53 pm 

Checked 1st Edition, 2nd Edition only had stats for BBs and GLs (both the same across grunts and character types), UWZ is closer to fan-canon at this point (to me at least) but they did in fact have oddly different armour ratings. And for the record, in the RPG, special forces (and most officers) are said to have worn Mk III Heavy Assault Combat Armour. Some were said to wear Mk II, but looking at the 1st Edition A values, that is probably just the Shamrocks, but even the RPG says they look almost identical (apparently just a small difference in the shoulder pads).

So
1st Edition - Standard save for Shamrocks
2nd Edition - Only two statted up and both are the same
UWZ - Armour values vacillate between 19 and 21.
Mutant Chronicles - Special forces wear either Mk II or Mk III armour and both are said to look incredibly similar.

So that is 3 out of 4 sources (all of which come from Target) that agree, and only Excelsior's rendition differing. And I am less inclined to stick with much of UWZ (which tried to mash up a lot of background material while creating new units whole cloth to cover the whole line) at this point in time when we can get back to the original source material of 1st Edition and Mutant Chronicles.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

At the end I will be happy as long the new models will be made well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:38 pm 

In defense of UWZ. The Armor stat is defined as not just armored plates but also tough as nails disposition and so forth. So the higher AR for some troops in the same armor could be extra training, experience of just raw toughness.

But yeah, we see your point.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:30 pm 

Trencheeeeers! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:59 pm 

I must agree Trenchers!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next