It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:18 am 

I think that Stormtrenchers need Rapid Deployment ASAP. I compare them with banshees and they just can't justify their cost.

I'd rather pay +3-4 pts pet model for RD than try to march them all the way to the other side which they usually never reach anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:00 pm 

What are you doing to make them more survivable? If you're using Aerial Assault, you move 14", enemy are at -4 to hit and if you've got light or heavy cover in the way that's another -4 (trenchers rule). If you've got Trenchers in your army, fire smoke grenades to where the Stormtrenchers are headed and get an additional -2 RS to enemy fire. Sure, you have to spend resources to do it, but they are a troops choice.

Another tactic is to keep them behind the first wave of your assault and then leap forward using the Aerial Assault rules to get into shotgun range. After that it's just a case of pulling the trigger enough with those ROF2 shotguns and you'll happily smoke the enemy out!

Also, consider using Wolfbanes to infiltrate and then use the Stormtrenchers to get there as fast as they can. With the enemy tied up dealing with wolves, the Stromtrenchers will receive less fire.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:54 pm 

I agree that it's a little odd that Stormtrenchers lack RD, but as ADG_Wraith pointed out, these guys basically carry their own light cover with them. If you keep using their Leap rule to hop between covers (I never liked special movement that can kill the user), your opponents will have ridiculous negative modifiers to RS. If they claim any cover whoever is shooting at them will have a -6 to RS, then add to that any other modifiers. Also use the fact that Cover Modifiers are cumulative.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:30 pm 

Thanks guys for the quick responses!

In my experience so far the Aerial assault is a rather painful option. I can't make constant use of it because the selfkill in combination with the scatterboom just creates chaos on the wrong side of the board (mine). And the -6 to RS forces me to burn a ton of resources for extra RoF to score a few kills.

The trencher rule is awesome but the aim action usually negates it, and it usually takes 1 lucky shot for the aforementioned selfkill and scatterboom. For 20 pts per model they haven't so far gave me back their points worth (not even close actually).

When I field them I usually move them either directly (almost straight line of movement for max speed with minimum use of cover) or indirectly (zig zag movement to make maximum use of cover and blind spots). Both tactics are half effective because they get blown to bits either by enemy fire or by aerial assault (using aerial assault to jump into cover hurts even more than "regular" aerial assault). For screen troops I usually use 1-2 squads of mourning wolves but they are usually sacrificed to draw fire from more important squads (my warlord/Hurricane/BBs depending on the list).

I compare them with the Capitol banshees and I find the StrmTrs lucking in every aspect. For 10 pts more the banshees have superior stats, amazing mobility that doesn't kill them, great offensive and defensive skills... And the m50 assault rifle is hands down the best basic rifle with that 20" grenade launcher. Even an ISF squad with only their trousers have scored more kills and they have pretty much the same mobility. And don't get me started on Valkyries (best point effective squad ever).

Even the card "reinforced fuel tanks" that protects from scatterboom on a roll of 1-12 seems low and I personally think that it should be 1-15 for a squad that costs a minimum of 100 pts, has low armor and is flammable.

If the squad had RD even the scatterboom would have its strategic use.

I can only hope that the Doomlord VTOL fluff will be implemented ruleswise with a RD skill or something similar after the beta (but I don't hold my breath).

Please excuse my rant. It's just my humble and personal opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:53 am 

I guesss the only bit of consolation I can give you is that the Imperial rules are still "Beta 1.1". Hopefully some of these issue will be taken care soon. For now, the rules seem to suffer some confusion in regards to the troop choices. Trenchers are pricy, but have good tactical options, while ISF and Stormtrenchers don't really offer enough to take them over regular Trenchers.