It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:56 am 

Sebulba wrote:
I love the model and probably need to buy it ;)
As for the sword, it's not really that wierd or impractical. Some European rapiers and two handed swords had that design (flamberge)...and in Asian history there is the kris which I think inspired the design of her blade.

Yeah, I know those. You must also remeber that in reality most fancy looking weapons were used just for training. In real battlefield they were impractical.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:28 pm 

Shadow Walker wrote:
Sebulba wrote:
As for the sword, it's not really that wierd or impractical. Some European rapiers and two handed swords had that design (flamberge)...and in Asian history there is the kris which I think inspired the design of her blade.

Yeah, I know those. You must also remeber that in reality most fancy looking weapons were used just for training. In real battlefield they were impractical.

Nothing impractal with a flamberge rapier or zweihander really. You might need a larger scabbard for the rapier than normally needed but thats about it. As for any bad or good qualites of the flame pattern - thats another thing, but usage and mobility should be the same as for a straight blade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:04 pm 

Sebulba wrote:
Shadow Walker wrote:
Sebulba wrote:

Nothing impractal with a flamberge rapier or zweihander really. You might need a larger scabbard for the rapier than normally needed but thats about it. As for any bad or good qualites of the flame pattern - thats another thing, but usage and mobility should be the same as for a straight blade.

There is a reason why flame shaped blades were not popular and in most cases ended as ceremonial weapons. When there is no real adventage to such weapons over standard design then they are impractical. Fancy look is good for show or training some techniques.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:01 pm 

Shadow Walker wrote:
There is a reason why flame shaped blades were not popular and in most cases ended as ceremonial weapons. When there is no real adventage to such weapons over standard design then they are impractical. Fancy look is good for show or training some techniques.

Ok we have different definitions of impractical then:) I'm thinking solely from a fighting perspective in which the flame bladed weapons should be of no real difference from straight or curved ones. There are theories that the pattern makes parrying unpleasant for opponents but I'm a bit sceptical. What is impractical is to manufacture those weapons but that can be said for other adorned weapons - mostly done to show off but still has fighting value.

Anyway, I like it...and I can think of other weapons in the MC world that are far more unlikely to be used on the battlefield ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:16 pm 

Sebulba wrote:
Shadow Walker wrote:

Ok we have different definitions of impractical then:) I'm thinking solely from a fighting perspective in which the flame bladed weapons should be of no real difference from straight or curved ones. There are theories that the pattern makes parrying unpleasant for opponents but I'm a bit sceptical. What is impractical is to manufacture those weapons but that can be said for other adorned weapons - mostly done to show off but still has fighting value.

Anyway, I like it...and I can think of other weapons in the MC world that are far more unlikely to be used on the battlefield ;)

+1 to that last sentence. FWIW I really like the kris style sword. It's shape could very well signify a spiritual value as well as a functioning weapon. Besides, the Prodos figures are so easy to convert, so exchanging it for a katana (should one wish to) is easy as pie :-)

/Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:08 am 

"because it will hurt more", that is why it is shaped as it is.