It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:13 am 

Although they are 50 points each and limited to 3 in a squad, the Shadow Weavers have a passive rule called Precise cut that no test of any kind can be made to ignore the target model taking a wound effect. It includes things such as dodge, heal and repair rolls. Only regular armour, Impenetrable armour or vehicle armour rolls can be made to save against the wound effect.

They also have an active skill T2B 1 card and successful armour and impenetrable armour saves have to be re-rolled.

The unit itself gets dodge, can not be turned into another model type.

It has a few funky rules about being represented by non SP tokens, and how you have to reveal one a turn, and enemy moving into CCWR for them to be revealed, but they can at the start of their turn redeploy if certain conditions are met into any light or heavy terrain on the board and are represented by counters again.

You could put them right next to the enemy warlord or their prize unit like artillery or razides, etc.

Hope they release minis for them, and other much needed unit soon. Perhaps the Dragon Jetcycle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:42 am 

There is a mini out for them- the RPG minis on the Prodos shop. This is a special character, but the models are being used for Shadow Walkers already.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:11 am 

I noticed the unit was Unique in its profile in the Heroes of the Solar System supplement. Does this mean that you can only field one in your army. It would make sense as the unit is the most powerful in the game at the moment. Closely followed by Mortifactors.

Mortifactors can get squads of 10 models and have multiple squads in an army, however they are not immune to gas weapons, and are still expensive at 20 points each before the mandatory squad psychic power is added. I have even cut a squad of 5 down to size with a full squad of trenchers and lots of good dice rolls.

I plan to use my shadow walkers to either take out the enemy warlord, or hold up his elite nuisance units like mortifactors, or something similar like Guardian Oblati, Razides, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:32 am 

A question about deployment of the Shadow Walkers. The special passive rule - "Hidden in the Shadows" says that the Shadow Walkers are deployed after all Infiltrators are deployed or in a later turn before the initiative dice are rolled. That the squad commanders token is placed in light or heavy terrain, and the other members of the squad have their tokens placed within 9" of the commanders token. It mentions that a token must be activated each turn by T2B a card and that if this is not done, a token is removed.

It says counters are automatically replaced by the Shadow Walker when an enemy moves in close combat weapon range and has 1 action point. It also says that if the token is obstructed by a token or model when placing it after you are forced to activate a model each round, then move it in B2B contact with the token or model. Models placed in this way get 2 APs unless revealed in CCWR of an enemy model.

What I can not figure out is whether I can place the tokens for the Shadow Walkers next to an enemy model when I first place them into light or heavy terrain. If this were possible, the Shadow Walkers would automatically be replaced by the miniature and have 1 action point.

I find that if the shadow walkers are set up away from the enemy, then the enemy will sit on Sentry and target the shadow walkers when they become activated one by one.

Also it would be better if you could activate more than 1 Shadow Walker in a turn if you have the T2B cards available to do so. Can this be done, as the SWs get shot to bits by multiple squads or models with lots of fire power when they activate at only 1 per turn.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:00 am 

firstly, if a player doesn't TTB 2 cards, the tokens aren't removed, they remain on the table (they just aren't replaced by Shadow Walkers).
secondly, there isn't anything in the rules that says you can't place a token in BTB with an enemy. Note that the Shado Itto-giri passive skill requires the enemy to move into BTB, so that only happens if it's the enemy's activation and they're the ones moving (otherwise just use the rules from Hidden in the Shadows).

To avoid being the target of Sentry, you can try to give the sentries other threats to worry about (particularly from another direction), or else do it when you get a favourable initiative roll (i.e. move the walkers before the enemy can get on Sentry). Alternatively, you can tie up those enemy on Sentry just by sitting still and waiting for them. You don't lose Shadow Walkers, they can't use their troops on sentry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:17 pm 

Thanks, that makes them a lot more useful. They are still only limited to one unit though? They are a unique unit according to their rules.

If they are Unique this cause another confusing situation with the rules. Their rules say that their psychic flamer template attack gets +1 strength for friendly Shadow Walker on the table up to +3 strength. This seems a little silly as you can only get a unit of 3, and they are unique, so a +2 is the max strength bonus you could get as far as I can work out.

It is not a great power, but handy enough when you want to thin out an enemy unit of say bodyguards before closing in on a warlord or reducing the wounds on a multi-wound models.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:22 am 

That's it. It's also a ki power, so it doesn't need AP unless it states so... which this does not.

Also, if you add Saigo (RPG Lord character), you can make it 4 SW on the table.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:05 pm 

I have read the rules for Shadow Walkers in both the hard copy Heroes of the Solar System nook and the downloadable version. the rules are different in each for "Hidden in the shadows". Which rules do I use?

The soft copy says I must replace all tokens with shadow walker miniatures at the beginning of their activation and they get 2 AP, or replace individual tokens for models if the enemy move into CCWR before the squad has activated and the model gets 1 AP.

The rules in the hard copy state that I must TTB a card for a single shadow walker or remove the token if I do not replace it with a miniature. It also mentions the enemy moving into CCWR to automatically replace the token with a mini.

I will have to get the hard copy which I have down stairs in the garage to get the exact wording.

Which do I use?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:10 am 

ADG_Wraith wrote:
That's it. It's also a ki power, so it doesn't need AP unless it states so... which this does not.

you may want to check the new mishima pdf, it specifically states that B and D type powers don't cost AP, but makes no such distinction for S type powers, which will still count as a shooting attack per the psychic fight rules on pg67.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:37 am 

Yeah, that's a change. Apparently it was FAQ'd on Facebook a while ago, but as these things go that wasn't seen by many.