It is currently Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Mishima PDF
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:19 pm 

Bushido will be measurably different from Ronin for a variety of reasons.

In regards to weapons, the rules we have shown and that will be printed in the rulebook reflect what is available to the models currently.

Things change over time, that might include weapons upgrade packs.

Some things are different, just because a decision was made by the creators that another weapon looks cooler, or it is not worth investing money in a slightly different pistol to do the same thing. It is rather expensive business!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:19 am 

I'm nit sure i understood the last statement rob. Designing a new gun for a mini costs you money?

I hope bushido samurai doesn't mean no shooting weapons, because a real life bushido samurai would always chose his bow over katana if given the choice. the rules for second edition (or was it uwz?) doesn't seem to have been popular with anyone.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:28 am 

TheDungen wrote:
I'm nit sure i understood the last statement rob. Designing a new gun for a mini costs you money?

Well, it does if you want it modelled. Which is what Prodos are doing here. They want to make sure that if it has stats in the book that they will make something to represent it on the table. This was a really big problem for Warzone, originally.

Since this is a reboot and they are looking to get the KS book out quickly, not burdening it with a bunch of options they have not created yet is a good idea. I'm sure more options will come in time, but Prodos will probably follow the model of releasing a unit and then releasing the rules for it. It has been a major sticking point for Infinity that they have created stats for dozens of units (some from the very first book) that have absolutely no model in production. Some people can't stand having to constantly proxy options. So withholding options until there is a model tends to be a popular way of doing things these days.

When we have a full range in a year or two and they develop more of an omnibus-style rulebook (or full army books for each as they plan on doing), then I'm sure the write-ups will include quite a few more options.

Quote:
I hope bushido samurai doesn't mean no shooting weapons, because a real life bushido samurai would always chose his bow over katana if given the choice. the rules for second edition (or was it uwz?) doesn't seem to have been popular with anyone.

It was 2nd Edition where it started, though UWZ kept it going. Oddly the squads could take flamethrowers via some logic skip. But I do agree with you, Bushido shouldn't translate to "no ranged weapons."

That said, I agree with Rob as well, Bushido Samurai need to be demonstrably different than Ronin. Because you want to avoid the situation of them just being Ronin+1. That is boring design. Hopefully Prodos has a plan for Bushido that includes making them unique in their role without going the all-CC route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:54 am 

I think if you could chose between ranged bushido and CC bushido when chose the unit it would be ok.
just an idea of how this could be done bushido samurai would have a base stat line but when you buy them you either pick "way of the sword" or "way of the bow" whichever you pick would give you an ability for that type of combat and a bonus to the relevant stat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 am 

Quote:

It was 2nd Edition where it started, though UWZ kept it going. Oddly the squads could take flamethrowers via some logic skip. But I do agree with you, Bushido shouldn't translate to "no ranged weapons."

That said, I agree with Rob as well, Bushido Samurai need to be demonstrably different than Ronin. Because you want to avoid the situation of them just being Ronin+1. That is boring design. Hopefully Prodos has a plan for Bushido that includes making them unique in their role without going the all-CC route.[/quote]

Fully agree. They must be different to be valid choice but they can not be idiots that will not use range weapons.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm 

as for the weapons issue i understand more options cost more money but does it cost more to give a bauhaus character a their standard pistol and capitol their standard pistol than giving them both the punisher?

Last edited by TheDungen on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:04 pm 

TheDungen wrote:
as for the weapons issue i understand more options cots more money but does it cost more to give a bauhaus character a their standard pistol and capitol their standard pistol than giving them both the punisher?

if those pistols haven't been designed yet then yes you have to pay someone to do the 3d design render for that weapon while for the punisher they could just use the punisher object file

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:56 pm 

Xaxius wrote:
TheDungen wrote:
as for the weapons issue i understand more options cots more money but does it cost more to give a bauhaus character a their standard pistol and capitol their standard pistol than giving them both the punisher?

if those pistols haven't been designed yet then yes you have to pay someone to do the 3d design render for that weapon while for the punisher they could just use the punisher object file

ah yeah digital sculpting i forgot about that.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:24 pm 

Bingo! That said, we do aim to make new designs if possible, or simple variants at least! Sometimes we just feel a model can use the same design.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:02 pm 

of course in time I'd love to see all the corps use their own weapon lines (mixed up a bit they still sell weapons to each other, that's part of the setting), but I see the issue at present. maybe on later units when the game has gotten of the ground, or when you redo these models in a a couple of decades =)

I could see standard samurai being more shooty then ronin, they have less to prove and at least first edition WZ seems to stress the point that the swords are mostly ceremonial.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next