It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Devil Bat.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:57 am 

Prodos wrote:
Well as a Biological Doctor, I have to say that the Dragons in discussion are completely biologically possible, especially if the environment in which they have come about exists

Now if we were to invent a small mammal that laid eggs, had a sting and a leathery beak, well then maybe you would have an argument, wait....actually God/evolutions already done that. :twisted:

Now take a very small planet too close to the sun, put gravity plates on it and then loads of gargantuan caves (ask an engineer??? ;) ). Then state it has massive lakes and has been terraformed. How impossible then is a 'Dragon' with wings (like a wyvern) and the back end of a swimming monster?

I never understand these sort of discussions. It is a fantasy/SciFi setting in which we are prepared to suspend our disbelief in so many ways. Why cant we do the same when in this case , scientific evidence says this is possible or has happened already or in the case of the Vorreiter's engineering did it in the 1930s.

SciFi in my understanding IS often Fantasy in Space/Future/other dimension.

Oh so it's a Mercurian creature? I thought it was something from Venus. Well as I said earlier no need to reach for the fantasy trope, a hot planet would be perfect for a a large cold blooded creature.the question of course would be how there's wildlife to feed so big a creature on a planet which need engineering solutions to even have sunlight so plants can grow, but I'm willing to suspend disbelief for the moment.

Of course it cannot have evolved since it's only like 2000 years since the terraforming of mercury and evolution takes hundreds of thousands of not millions of years. Though it could potentially take less in a high radiation environment, but it would still require some kind of large creature to have been imported from earth in the first place. Evolving life from dead matter takes billions of years, achieving complex lie forms takes again billions of years and then another couple of million to end up with larger life forms. No this would have to have some kind of earth ancestry.

Prodos wrote:
Also we had better delete living on Mercury, Ganymede and asteroids.
Travel to the planet Pluto (not even a planet)
Nero (see above same reason)
Intersteller travel
Gravity plates,
Brotherhood Art Mishima Ki and Dark Legion completely
Walkers (not engineer-able), exo suits, medical backpacks
Pride the clever dog
Bobs Guns
Angelikas Whip
Icarus (cant fly)
Purple Sharks
Grizzlys (tracks wouldnt work)
All AI in Cybertronic

pluto is still a dwarf planet it may have been changed back or they (the people in universe) may just have felt writing dwarf planet was unnecessary. It's also possible that the people who first landed there knew it was a dwarf planet but the brotherhood consider knowledge about pluto to be knowledge about the darkness and thus forbidden research.

ah yeah nero is kind of hard to get around, maybe it's a large asteroid that gets caught in sol's gravity well sometime between now and then.

there is no interstellar travel in mutant chronicles, at least there didn't use to be. That's one of the main reasons it's more hard sci-fi than many other sci-fi universes.

gravity plates? I guess artificial gravity? well we've just discovered what might be the higgs boson now if we can start manipulating the higgs field in the next two hundred years years we should be good.

I've already discussed this, art and ki are hard to explain away symmetry and dark legion is just sufficiently advanced aliens.

Walkers are engineerable it's just much harder than rolling machines we haven't yet got the algorithm for walking right but we'll have that cracked in the next 25-50 years. With your interpretation being they have computers it's a cake walk (pun not intended)

exo skeletons is in the works right now go watch the documentary "make me super human"

medical backpacks could just be painkillers for all we know, 'dead soldiers' arent necessarily dead.

boosting brainpower of animals is simple genetic engineering. Hell we could do it in the time allotted (roughly 1200 years until pride needs to be possible) by simple selective breeding.

nothing weird with bob's guns what's weird is that he can 1. hold them in one hand, 2. not get knocked down by the recoil. but since they have artificial gravity it's possible he just increases his mass while firing.

the neurolash is kind of hard pulling of (nothing is impossible only ever unlikely though).

As for the icarus everything can fly if you move it fast enough. all you need is powerful enough engines. Also we have no means of knowing what light weight materials it may be built from 1200 years into the future.

purple sharks is again all about engine power and weight.

no the tracks of the grizzly wouldn't work did you have to point that out now I'll never be able to unsee that.

we have AI. there was a famous experiment where people had text conversations with a human or an AI and then were to say which they just had, no meaningful correlation between human conversing with an AI and human thinking they were conversing with an AI. That said current gen AI has the estimated intellectual capacity of a four year old, but even the banning of the first AI's in mutant chronicles is 200 years away, and some very smart people are working on it.

Last edited by TheDungen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 am 

You say that, but it's only taken a few days for some trolls to evolve on this forum!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 am 

Hahahahahahaha ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:35 am 

Am I trolling? I have supported the creature from the get go, I said it was definitely within the realm of possibility especially when you take the possibility of genetic engineering into account. I've been saying this entire thread that there isn't that many things that arent possible in warzone/mutant chronicles, implausible yes those are plenty impossible, I tend never to use that word anyway.

have you considered shadow walker that the creature may just be made by some rogue geneticist with too much time on his hand who had seen too many bad horror movies, then turned out to be efficient and managed to survive on it's own.

As for the plants on mercury, the logical assumption would be that they have a different version of chlorophyll meant to gather it's energy from other kinds of radiation than visible light, radiation that can permeate the rock structure of mercury (higher energy light have a shorter wavelength and can thus pass between the atoms of solid matter, they also have a greater chance of performing quantum tunnelling), so close to the sun high energy radiation would be much more abundant than on earth.

Last edited by TheDungen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:37 am 

Rob hasn't actually called anyone a troll, he says 'some trolls'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 am 

Yeah and since shadow walker would be troll, that means more than one. Ok in our debate on AI I get it (even though I still believe I'm right) but here I have done nothing but praise the setting how is that trolling?

Sorry but having a discussion of the setting more advanced than praising the ground you walk on is trolling?

Last edited by TheDungen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 am 

I still think this is a off the cuff remark regarding the whole forum not just this thread. Have to say its not just this forum ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:53 am 

again I try to offer constructive criticism, just not lavishing praise. When I like something I try to point out why I like it, and when I don't like it I tend to try to point out why I don't like it. Saying I like and I dislike is at the end of the day a meaningless pursuit. a waste of time and server memory.

I try to view problems and issues out of as many viewpoints as possible and point out alternative ways of seeing them and I have a working understanding of science that goes beyond what most people have from high school and that often proves as that alternative perspective because it is a perspective most people don't have access too.

If I debate it's because I try to help to improve.

Last edited by TheDungen on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am 

Can you please stop editing huge addons to your posts it's very disconcerting. I keep thinking I'm going mad!!

Also I think this whole scifi fantasy fixation is a little OTT, saying that you have a higher understanding makes you look more than a little arrogant. In fact I'm a little insulted by your I'm better than you high horse standing on this. It's a game!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:04 pm 

I never said higher understanding, I said 'an understanding of sciences beyond what they teach in high school.' And that would be quite correct.
I never said I was better than anyone I said I tried to offer an alternative point of view, never a better point of view.

And yes in this case it's a game, I'm also debating some people on the virtues of vaccines and sweden's economics right now. What's your point?

Oh and sorry for the editing, I got a fair share of warnings for double posting back on warseer so I try to add at the end of the post, and then I spot a spelling error and figure out I could have phrased that better and so on...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next