It is currently Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Is it weird?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:26 am 

That I am terrified to paint these news minis? I mean they look so great, I'm scared once i have them in my hot little hands I won't be able to do them justice. My hands shake so bad, and I am not a good painter to begin with. I am so torn with getting minis and then having to paint them...sigh.

Post subject: Re: Is it weird?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:52 am 

No it's not weird and I do feel your pain on the shaky hands but all we can do is try to get better I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 am 

no

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:49 am 

Do you paint "bad" (whatever that means) because you have shaky hands? If it is because of this, you might consider dipping your miniatures.

While dipping is not really considered "painting" by guys who like to paint, it IS easy to do and yields good results.
A quick google search found me more instructions on how to do this than I can count. One is here: (not mine)
http://gfbrobot.com/2010/12/03/andrews-guide-to-dipping-minis/

If it is not because of shaky hands but because of lack of skill, then dont dip, but practice a lot. Some rules

1) Use basecoat! black or white will do, although I prefer black because you have instant shadows on your miniature
2) Thin down paints!!! Most badly painted minis I saw just were raped with thick paint so that any detail was gone. Rather do 2-3 coats of paint than 1 thick one.
3) use a thin brush, keep it in good shape.
4) highlight either by
a) using wash: Paint miniature with base coat, use VERY much thinned down dark paint (black for example) and apply generously onto surface (this works good on hair or chainmail). Let it dry and paint the highlighted areas with base colour
b) using highlighting: take base colour and make it a bit darker with black/brown/dark blue/red (whatever, just make it a bit darker): apply, let it dry, use base colour and only paint the highlighted areas, then use lighter version of base coulour (lighten it with white or yellow or...), apply only to the most highlighted areas.

What you need: patience and some time. A good mini doesnt paint itself in 10 minutes (unless you are a skilled speed painter).

questions? Ask:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:52 am 

I completely understand where you are coming from.

Jarek has actually mentioned this in the past, his intention is to create a range of miniatures with enough detail that a wash and a drybrush will bring out all the details. Too many flat panels makes this really hard.

I have already offered to make a 'basic painting guide' for demo teams, if they ever promote that kind of thing. It would consist of painting a few base colours and doing a wash or dip over the top. Perhaps a few bits of drybrushing or detailing, but those would be optional.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:53 am 

I see no problem:
you can always wash the paint off and start again :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 pm 

If it is shaking from anxiety or inexperience, there are techniques which reduce that similiar to learning photography or fine penmanship or even a hockey stick. If the problem is a medical condition, then become a master of color theory (or at least the color wheel), washing/inking/drybrushing and become a master of the 3' rule.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:35 pm 

There is nothing worse to any figure painter than a really good sculptured mini, you are not alone Shaman of dawn in fact you probably put voice to most the forum and yes myself included. 58 young gives me eye sight and joint ache I use "extra hands" and magnifiers now.All comments given you are sound,but find out first if the plastic needs priming or the resin. After a meths wash and then a 3/4 Day dry out, I never prime any of my plastics and have had no trouble in years. I use any paint on the market I like the colour of. In my years I`ve had Starship Troopers ,W W 2, Dust, and many more. "Game Color" by Vallejo are really good on plastics and have many inks. Put paint on thinly and no detail is lost, dry brushing and high lights will give a great finish. Golden rule. paint for yourself enjoy it, if you aren`t the best, it doesn`t matter, it`s for fun all skills come with time and all of us are learning all the time. I look forward to seeing your figures