It is currently Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

As my stuff is probably going to arrive soon I am thinking about paint schemes for the armies. For the cybers I think I know what I want but the Brotherhood force I just don't know what to do with, especially the Troopers.

The Sacred Warriors are easy with the classic colours of red, blue and gold. Mortificators are a darker colour but not neccessarily black.

But what about the troopers? In my old BH army I had them grey which is a nice looking scheme and easy to pull off. But maybe I should try something new this time.

What colours are the rest of you gonna use?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:12 pm 

I'm going with white (blueish white not yellowish white) on all of them. Though I was toying with the idea of painting all armour in chrome paint.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:54 am 

I'd say continuity is the most important thing...so have recurring colors on them. If you have red, blue and gold, use this as a basis. And to decide other colors, this is my favorite tool:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Color theory always works :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:58 am 

Colour theory is nice and something i have started to think about when coming up with paint schemes and also when shading minis.

The Brotherhood has canonically (all artwork and official paint schemes) been many different colours. This leads to less tedious painting but you lose the coherent army feel to some extent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:07 am 

Well back in the day unit types differentiated by paint job was common in all games, now days the kits are different enough to allow you to paint as a coherent army.

And Malebolgia, I got to disagree on the colour theory thing. I'd much rather use the old chivalric metallic and non metallic colour theory. The link you provided is probably great if you want to paint eldar or design a living room, but soldiers on a battlefield will have limited colours depending on certain factors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:32 am 

LOL...saying color theory doesn't work is like saying gravity doesn't work. Color theory always works, period. There's no discussion in that fact. And I feel we already discussed this one earlier. Referring to real soldiers on a battlefield is all nice and sound, but doesn't work well if you translate them straight unto a 28mm model. They become greenish/brownish blobs on the table. You need contrast (with color for example) to define them and make sure they stand out and look nice from a distance. And yes, you can keep them realistic but you have to use sense when applying colors or else the models disappear on your battlefield.
For example, painting SWATs as black models with white letters with little highlights is a literal translation from the real thing...but it won't look pretty on the table. You need contrast and if possible an extra color to make them pop.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

One way to keep your army coherent is to model the bases similiarly. I will do this with the Dark Legion in particular, as there will be a multitude of colours on them. I'll try to have one other common colour-factor, but I'm not sure it will always be possible to pull off (with classic colours). The bases I'll be using for them are these;

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... h=79_33_67

While with the Cybers, I'll probably use these;

http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/i ... h=79_33_66

Both of these invoke imagery that is representative of thier respective factions. For Brotherhood, I'd probably do something like;

http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/mosaic-c-3_28.html
or
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/arca ... tml?page=2

You could either order, or make them yourself. See many people using just "realistic" bases. By making the base representative of the model as well, you get a very unified and cool look.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:20 pm 

Malebolgia wrote:
I'd say continuity is the most important thing...so have recurring colors on them. If you have red, blue and gold, use this as a basis. And to decide other colors, this is my favorite tool:

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Color theory always works :)

Interesting will have a play about with this program personally before I embark on any scheme especially a camo scheme I mess about and paint them onto some paper noting the colours etc. just to see possibility of colours that naturally or unnaturally go together

These paved the way to my 6mm Euro feds

Pacific Federation in desert scheme

CDSU

Whole lot :)

I know it doesn't seem much but I find it saves a lot of time and you also have the colours handy if you want to paint some more at a later date and its funny how messing like this suddenly comes up with an odd painting scheme like my Eurofed purple desert scheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:32 pm 

Malebolgia wrote:
LOL...saying color theory doesn't work is like saying gravity doesn't work. Color theory always works, period. There's no discussion in that fact. And I feel we already discussed this one earlier. Referring to real soldiers on a battlefield is all nice and sound, but doesn't work well if you translate them straight unto a 28mm model. They become greenish/brownish blobs on the table. You need contrast (with color for example) to define them and make sure they stand out and look nice from a distance. And yes, you can keep them realistic but you have to use sense when applying colors or else the models disappear on your battlefield.
For example, painting SWATs as black models with white letters with little highlights is a literal translation from the real thing...but it won't look pretty on the table. You need contrast and if possible an extra color to make them pop.

Yeah the difference is I can explain gravity rationally, all your colour theory is at best statistics.

Sure you'll have to paint them like they're under a strong light, but painting them as if a rainbow puked on them? no thank you. the only useful option there is the analogic.
And I don't always paint my minis realistic I plan on paiting my brothehood white and gold after all, but I use some kind of real life inspiration from some period. In this case the knights templar.

I worked on a theatre for a couple years we had the same basic problem, people are to far away to see the finer details of realistic costumes, so how do you solve that? well you put a 500w+ spotlight on them. Sure when it comes to faces you may work make-up according to your way of thinking, but costumes? nope, it's all in the lighting, or in this case the highlight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:52 pm 

Painting according to colour theory does not mean that you have to go full rainbow style. You could for example do it by using a reddish leather on the details of your green uniformed troopers. Or shade the green using a deep red. Purple and yellow are complementary colours but one can easily switch the yellow and use gold instead.

I totally agree with Malebolgia about camo. Too realistic wont make the minis look as good as if you create interesting contrast.

Kollar, bases are a good way to unite disparate elements. I plan to use stuff from another Kickstarter that just finished to create my bases.
http://www.happyseppuku.com/Stamps.html