It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Dunnaghs Legion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:09 pm 

Hi there,

finally I got my hands on my miniatures (well, most of them). First impressions are good - miniatures seem to be detailed. Some things on the other hand are plain dreadful. I started with the Legionnaire squad, mainly because I hate painting squads. I love to paint, but I like single models more.

But lets get started:
Assembly is kinda ok with the Legionnaires:

Pain in the ass: Removing the weapons from the sprue. Whoever thought of this didnt account for people not having hands in child size.

Then... first steps:
Skin with Elf Flesh, followed by heavy Devlan Mud washing (big mistake)
At first, it looked cool and I congratulated myself:

next steps: some more painting. Trousers in Bestial Brown, different upper bodies. Skin still looks ok

but soon, on some miniatures, it showed that the contrast on the skin is too great:

and then finalized product:
All in all the skin was very difficult to paint. Also, my skill at skin-painting is not that great. Sometimes mold lines showed after highlighting - but now it´s too late to change that. Any other tips are greatly appreciated. Any thoughts on how to save the skin?
Photographing is not easy - I dont have that much lamps - and no daylight lamps, so all pictures should be a tad too yellow. I shot the photos with my iphone - but currently I am too avaricious to buy a diffuser box, some lamps AND a good cam :(

Post subject: Re: Dunnaghs Legion
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:18 pm 

Nicely done I say! :)

Advice on the removal of guns etc, get a small pincer and just cut them off the base. Much better than trying to bend/break them off.

On the colour "issue", did you prime the miniatures before you painted them? I experience that it help me to counter colour differences.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 pm 

Massive respect for managing to get those guns removed without the stocks getting damaged.

I use clippers like most and haven't had the courage to try cutting them out yet - I'm sure the spring back from removal is going to wreck them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:51 pm 

I used a cutter. Removed the Weapon from the sprue with a clibber and then placed the weapons flat on the table before me and cut the excess resin down to the table while holding the gun.
So I didnt even try to bend them off ;)

Yes, I primed them (black) before painting. But that really wasnt the issue here. I just used too much wash and thus created too big a difference between the lower parts (dark) and the highlighted parts (light)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:50 am 

Looking nice. I think the high contrast works well on undead, so job well done I'd say!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 am 

I just decided to get me some photographing stuff... no camera (I guess the iphone cam is good enough), but a diffuser box and some lamps.
so, better pics incoming! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:12 pm 

Unit look like they will look great on the table to me, that's the main point when I'm painting do they look good from arms length+ then the jobs done otherwise I'll spend far to long on the rank & file unit troopers when I could be gaming ;)

Thanks for the tips on removing the weapons as I've not got any minis yet so this tip will come in handy when assembling mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm 

New Photos!

While not nearly painting as often as I´d wish, I made some progress. Also we played our first few games (and that always acts as an incentive to paint more!). I bought a softbox and some daylight lights, so the photos are way better now. I still think that much detail is lost (shading, mostly), but anyway, here it is. First of all, two old Legionnaires in a new light:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:13 pm 

next up: Mr. Razide himself. Always remember that this guy will shoot you. In the face. Repeatedly.
I really put some effort in his gun - and I think it paid off. The only things I am not really content with are a) his eyes and b) my first attempt at source lighting at the front of his gun (you can see the bit of green at the tip of the horn)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:18 pm 

next up: Golgotha.

Easy to assemble (if you dont cut off the upper part of her left arm as I did... so I had to glue it back together after I realized it wasnt leftover Resin...), equally hard to paint. You cant see any shading I have done on her skin, which is a shame - but I dont know how to photograph it better. And while I am not that ultra content with the amount of blood on the model this is as much as I dared do.