It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Durandal's Plog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:07 am 

Well, now that I have glue, I finally got down to work on my stuff.

Pictured above: Oh sweet jebus, what have I gotten myself in to?

Decided my first order of business was to build enough for about a 1000 point list. Since I'm a V-Ranger fanboy down to the core, they would be the first troops I get to (sorry Hussars!). So I broke open a Venusian Ranger bag and an Etoiles Mortant bag and got to work converting my first squad leader and a squad to go with her.

I also decided to build Max Steiner (kind of important when doing a V-Ranger list afterall :D ). Unfortunately I bullocksed up the build a bit. Sheared off some of his angled shoulder pad while cleaning the vent off (damn!), though it sheared off in a way that didn't look bad (almost like it has a stylized crest on the edge). But not wanting to stop there, I managed to glue a thumb to his leg, leaving a nice (and incriminating) fingerprint on this calf (double damn!). But that can be sanded down (he said to himself reassuringly). I stood him up against a pair of clippers to dry up.

When I came in the next morning and picked him up, the clippers came with him. After prying it free it left a bit of the rubber behind and marred some detail on the back. At this point I'm going to be dropping a cape on him and maybe converting a few other features and having it be my first custom character. I think I'll be grabbing a second Max and try not to stick my whole hand (and tool set) to it. But it looks fine from the front at least, and lord knows the three squads of V-Rangers I bought wont leave me with a plethora of extra fur capes to fix it up with.

I'll pop the cloak on when I get home.

And of course, to make my life easier down the road, I made sure to fill in enough bases to do up three Venusian Ranger squads, a squad of Juggernauts, a Vulkan (which didn't need filling, much to my relief) and Not-Max him-(or maybe her)-self.

I'll probably leave one Ranger squad partially (or fully) un-assembled so that I can use bits from the add-on sprue to modify them (since I believe we are getting a few alternate V-Ranger squad leader heads on there as well as some ARG-17's).

So stay tuned for more WIP stuff (probably wont get to painting anything for the first little bit). But so far I'm loving the minis.

Post subject: Re: Durandal's Plog
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:58 pm 

Cheers Durandal, I like the look of Max, looking forward to getting mine, how many figures are there in the bags?

I'm the same when it come to sticking anything but the actual bit that you are trying to stick together :roll: . Will look forward to seeing what you come up with in terms of colours are you going to do a theme for the army ie Jungle/cold winter or are you going with the traditional Blue/Grey.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:40 pm 

Awesome stuff! I am glad to see you have received your first shipment!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 am 

Thats a nice report Durandal glad to see I`m not the only one who loses skin for his hobby, dam supper glue. Models are great are they not, have fun mate.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:36 am 

semai99 wrote:
Cheers Durandal, I like the look of Max, looking forward to getting mine, how many figures are there in the bags?

Hmm... lesse, going by my order (minus the second wave stuff). Somewhere in the ballpark of 100+ minis and around a dozen light vehicles/monsters. Give or take a few here and there.

Quote:
I'm the same when it come to sticking anything but the actual bit that you are trying to stick together :roll: . Will look forward to seeing what you come up with in terms of colours are you going to do a theme for the army ie Jungle/cold winter or are you going with the traditional Blue/Grey.

Oh my yes, I started sticking myself to things back when I got my first metal Space Marine land speeder as a kid and never stopped (what foul devil designed that thrice accursed vehicle?). Though the cape is on Max now and he looks pretty good. I think I'll grab a second one to do up "proper" and paint this guy up as a custom character.

As for colours, I'm having a difficult time of it right now in trying to come up with a scheme. My old Bauhaus stuff was done up in Napoleonic Russian colours (because I tend to favour House Romanov but didn't like the idea of going heavy on blacks and silvers).

At this point I'm thinking of using the green/white combo as inspiration in to something a bit more gritty. A deep grey-green armour with a WWII German Field Grey fatigue, perhaps. Then maybe a few embellishments here and there to denote members of orders and the like. Looking back at my original scheme, it just feels a bit to bright these days.

But I'll probably try my hand at a test fig in a few days and see how it goes. Probably going to be doing mostly basing stuff tomorrow, though I have my first whole V-Ranger squad assembled and ready to go. Should be able to have the Vulkan, Max and squad ready to base up tomorrow (need to nip out for new primer since I'm out of everything, of to the automotive section for me!).

Here's hoping I'll have something painted up in here soonish.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:59 pm 

Ranger for the win, love the look of these guys, will probably paint some in the neer future,

Will you post pics when painted?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:09 pm 

Definitely will whenever I get around to it. This next we weeks it going to be crazy for stuff coming to my place (Warzone last week, Ogre Designer's Edition on Monday, another couple weeks and Deadzone is on the way). So I'll be prioritizing assembly just to make the space it all takes up a bit more manageable.

But I'm chomping at the bit to get a test figure done. Hopefully I can pop by a DIY and grab some primer today.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 pm 

If you have the time could you take some pics of the hussars it would be greatly appreciated and if you could put one or two together it would be great!
I have been trying to search the net for some painted Hussars, but either my search fuu is crap or there just isnt any painted out there.

The only one found to date is one in a glass shelf hiding behind some Alien figurs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:59 am 

There are plenty of painted Hussars on the facebook page. If you want I can search them and paste them here referencing the authors.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:34 am 

Yeah, my Hussars will probably remain unassembled for at least a little bit if only because I want to finish my 1000 point initial Bauhaus force then get 500-ish points together for Cybertronic and Mishima so that I can demo the game.

After that I'll be going going back and finishing up everything for all of the factions. Which reminds me, need to go write up 500 points lists for the other two factions so I know what I'm building.

In either case I have most everything on bases now and popped out to get some spray primer. So tonight I'll be going over a few colour scheme ideas to try out. I'll post the based WIPs some time tonight and hopefully tomorrow I'll have a painted tester to show off.

My current thought for the Rangers is to go a bit classic and do their armour up in white but go with dark fatigues underneath (probably the dark grey-green I was planning on). Should look pretty striking (well, if I can get the white to look good that is, never been strong at painting non-bone whites).