It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:46 pm 

So after a few brief months after tearing all my hair from my head due to the very small design flaws in the model range I decided to calm down and just share some fun trivia.

Many of you only know Warzone as a part of the Mutant Chronicles universe and perhaps you even played that roleplaying game, aah good times.
But I have to tell you about an age that was even more frightening. The age of Mutant S.P.A.C.E...

This was the ropleplaying game that was before it became Chronicles. All the same Megacorporations and even a few more minor megacorps was present. The city on Luna was called Nova Gargarin. It was the year 2192. The Dark Legion was merely known as The Evil, I guess that just doesn't sound as cool as The Dark Legion...

The Evil had been present for about 50 years and there was no Dark Symmetry so all the tech stuff was still working quite good although the Cyberspacers could sometimes see dark shadows moving about in cyberspace and sometimes the dream-machines (think Total Recall) would give its users a real nightmare instead of an awesome adventure.
It was glorious Cyberpunk with a good mix of action and horror.
The Nepharites were meaner and nastier with an otherworldly intelligence and powers that could bend time and pace.
The dark symmetry was merely an long aura they cast.

Imagine a group of well drilled soldiers, oufitted with the best cybernetics and augmentations, precision engineered weapons and whilst on mission, walking down a dark corridor with blood splatter here and there... and suddenly the motion detector (think Aliens) stops working or maybe it gives a reading that there is movement coming in from everywhere. Your earplug radio turns on and you long dead wife is at the other end whispering to you.

Ah, it was nice to have cool tech...

Mutant S.P.A.C.E was actually named Mutant R.Y.M.D (exact translation) and was only ever printed in Swedish, sadly.
It was a mix of the old Mutant, just Mutant which played out at the year 2092, but with a mix of another game called KULT where the notions of Nepharites and Razides and all those general evil stuff came from. Kult was very lovecraftian in many ways, it was cool, but very hard to play, in the long term.. since your characters would almost always go mad or just die to some unfathomable horror.

Then the game became Mutant Chronicles, a Steam/diesel punk action Noir game with lots less cool tech and it was wierd.
So they changed much of the fluff but basically its the same game.

No Prodos has its hands on it and yet again a few things has been rewritten and changed.
Rob told me he had read all of the original stuff but I doubt he got a translated copy of Mutant SPACE

Fun fact, in Mutant SPACE the Venusian Rangers are the most mediocre of all the Special Forces Bauhaus has to offer and are only for the Jungle war on Venus, the Einsatzsgruppe Mjolnir are the primary one conducting missions all over the Solar system.

So what is it that really grinds my gears this time... well its really just the one thing, Bauhaus weaponry.
Bauhaus weapons uses caseless ammunition so there is no need for the case ejector slot on the side of the weapon, above the magazine... and the UBGL is not represented on the AG-17 and even the original design of the MG-40 was redone... why? It was fine the way it was.
http://www.geocities.ws/mutantchronicle ... nacker.jpg

I haven't noted that the weapon design has changed for any other Corporation.

Otherwise I just love the new models, so fine and way beyond GW standard

OK, my ranting is done, now I may rest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 am 

interesting you talk about the history...

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/03/ ... -road.html

http://bit.ly/CTCmag

enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:53 pm 

Still remember DM: ing Mutant Chronicles RPG. Good times! I kept all the story, but rewrote and ported all the rules into Vampire the Masquerade since that systems plays a lot faster and my group already knew those rules. Really hope who ever gets to write the new RPG makes the world as enjoyable as back in the old days, but makes the game play a lot faster than Target Games's version. Either way I'll probably pick up a copy even though I don't get much time to play RPG: s these days. So far I think Prodos have taken good care of my favourite universe.

And yes, the caseless ammo error is a classic. It's almost as if most game designers never consider what the word means and just throw it in as cool tech babble. Imperial's Charger HMG has a related design flaw. It is fed from the right and has an ejector port on the left side, meaning that the shooter covers himself in red hot shell casings every time he pulls the trigger. Any sensibly constructed minigun type weapon ejects spent casings downwards. It is an interesting feeling when you look at a model and a sliver of OCD starts ranting, raving and gibbering in a corner of your mind.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:18 pm 

I note that Prodos have subtly accepted a range of issues that us 'realism' lovers have put to them... the lack of shoulder stocks on rifles, for example. There was a serious lack of them in the KS sculpts, but as units are resculpted, lo and behold they suddenly have shoulder stocks (Free Marines is an excellent example).

I think a man-portable minigun is still over the top, but I think I'd prefer to have the casings eject from the right side of the weapon, under the ammo feed. With the cyclic sequence of operation it shouldn't be too hard to achieve!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 pm 

I should point out that we have read anything from 'Mutant Chronicles', not the earlier 'Mutant' series. Even Paradox recognise those games as a different setting. Mutant Chronicles simply came from it.

But yes, it is interesting to compare them all. I recently invested in Mutant: Year Zero, now that it is published in English and it holds no similarity to Mutant Chronicles at all...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:07 am 

Yes yes, I am aware of that Rob, you told me when we met at Gothcon =)
There are so many editions of Mutant during the years, from Postapocalyptic Scandinavia, to cyberpunk, to the later ones like (one of my favorites) Mutant the Heirs of Perdition which is quite comedic... haven't tried out Year Zero as of yet.

Wraith, thanks for the link, it probably gave the other viewers a bit more insight.

Here a found a link to a pic of the old Mutand RYMD (SPACE) I was talking about and you can clearly see that it was the father of Mutant Chronicles.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2ica9u0.jpg

During the production of Chronicles it was still a secret, but there were a few articles hinted about it under the codename Valkyria in the Sinkadus game magazine. so yeah... some fun trivia for yah! Remember that... Valkyria =)
http://www.piruett.se/blogg/wp-content/ ... vroaus.jpg
(dont know if it is the issue that actually has the article)