It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao2XWDgcN1s

damned if they don't look like trenchers. Some decent rate actors as well. Would love to see all of this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:39 am 

Well, the actors worked with the material they where provided. The Movie only VERY loosely base itself on the franchise. Loved the Trench fight at the beginning but those mutants are just laughable and the dialogue rotten.

Last edited by Feralzen on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:55 am 

as it is portrayed and generally considered, about the only thing it has in common with the rest of Mutant Chronicles is some names.

although with some imagination it could be considered a prequel. an explanation as to why humanity left earth in the first place. with "the machine" being an automated device of the Dark Legion that had been placed on earth when technology was limited because it was all that was believed necessary to take over humanity since such a primitive planet didn't deserve the attention of a nepharite. after its initial failure it was decided by the Legion that pursuing the conquest of earth was not worth the effort that would be required and so it was left alone.

then one day the corporations on earth accidentally set the machine free and it once again tried to execute its programming to take over earth. from the trailer you can tell that earth gets evacuated by the corporations and millions of not billions are left behind to try and deal with the problem on their own. if we use the general theme of "the good guys almost always win" found in movies we can assume they succeeded.

However the corporations considered the earth a loss, especially with the animosity the survivors would have had for being abandoned, and they decided not to return. in addition, in an effort to cover up the fact that their constant war and refusal to cooperate is what allowed the return of the Dark Legion, the Corporations had history written so that it had never happened and claimed that earth was left for other reasons. of course the survivors knew differently but many never wished to talk about the horrors they had seen back on earth and would rather forget. so it was that over the years as survivors died and the corporations covered up the truth it became so that all of humanity forgot the dark legion ever existed. all of humanity except the few surviving members of the Brotherhood that is, and they passed their knowledge to their descendants. however inevitably they too dwindled in number as the years wore on until eventually only one remained, Nathaniel Durand.

(from here its rather easy to tie into the rest of the mutant chronicles lore with the Tablet being left by the Dark Legion as a trap to signal the dark legion to prepare for the assault on humanity because they have almost reached the seal. and the seal on Nero was the sign that humanity is worth the effort, now that they have expanded their influence and reached the farthest point in their solar system, and for the assault to begin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:14 am 

What a terrible movie! I bought the DVD, watched it and it left me with an empty feeling. The whole MC universe has so much potential and the list of actors blew me away. But man, they really screwed it up. It's rare I don't like movies, but this sure was one of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:43 pm 

Mh, I still don't know what to think about this movie. The special effects looked pretty bad. Aside from that it is an average movie. Certainly not great, but not nearly as bad as most people say.

Biggest problem most likely occurs if you watch it with the expectation to get a movie about Mutant Chronicles. If you are out for an Action/Horror flic and don't mind rather bitter endings, it's an ok movie.

@Xaxius: I like this "prequel" idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:48 am 

As a typical B-Movie it is pretty average, though I think some of the parts were very well cast. The biggest issue was, as an adaptation of the source material, it stunk. Now, this isn't altogether uncommon for adaptations (especially pre-2010), but these days it feels like it falls well short of some of the really good adaptations that have come since.

I feel they went too gritty, too realistic and tweaked too much of the wacky 2000AD-ness out of it. They basically turned it in to pseudo-steampunk WWII looking guys fighting generic zombies.

If you go in expecting a B-Movie with some fan favourite actors in it, then it is basically that. But as a Mutant Chronicles movie, it is not really a good fit.

Now... if we could get Del Toro interested in making a proper adaptation, I think we'd be in for a treat (and we would still likely get Ron Perlman in there :D ). A proper Mutant Chronicles movie should be a flashy high-action, pulpy thrill-ride with a proper ensemble cast. Grim'n'gritty !WWII B-movie with zombies and drama just don't fit (MC absolutely needs some colour to it; the movie was so bloody grey and brown).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:17 pm 

Any one out there read Damnation Alley Roger Zel? (brain fart), and seen the disastorous movie that followed. Well I would love to see a true MC/WZ film even a animated one, but lucks never favored MC, so ours would be another
"D/A". Least we have the best figures we deserve. The idea of an Exodus prequel is a great way of thinking of the film. Nice one Xaxius /9th gardian.
Cheers all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:49 pm 

And what would a MC move be abut the venusian crusade? becuase that's basically the only event high key enough to do a blockbuster about.

Otherwise, mc is not a universe of superhuman heroes defeating evil on their own (Mitch hunter excluded which is why I've never been a fan of him), yeah singular citadels gets teared down by doomtroopers but at massive costs and there are always more to take their place.

MC is also to a large extent the story of the humans in the corporations and of the solar system in it's current state. I could see a good director making a pretty good movie that is kind of a sci-fi/diselpunk noire. Kind of like sin city style. and I'm not even a huge tarantino fan.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm 

I still say they would have been better off just doing the film based on the Golgotha comics.These were also a starting point to get new fans onboard,as well as fan favorite characters.Perlman couldn't even save that movie.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:47 am 

Though a good movie even nowadays still attracts im
seeing a much greater entertainment on the horizon!
Namely a Dark Eden mod for Mount & Blade Warband.
Who played the game and some mods knows that its
absolutely perfect suitable and though lots of work
without alternative. Im thinking about posting a mod
concept presentation at moddatabase and try to
persuade a few experienced mod workers.

http://www.moddb.com/games/mount-blade-warband