It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Bauhaus MBT-42 Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:06 pm 

Its 15 years ago since i learned to use the AutoCAD Mechanical desktop during my education to create mechanical drawings. In late November 15 i decide to reclaim my old knowledge and learn new ones. My first step was to check the Internet for some programs and decided to use Sketch up. In retrospect a bad idea for some reason. In my option it turns out that the program was semi- professional, lack some basic functions and its ability to create and handle spheres and curves was non satisfying. Sometimes it does ugly things with my model, and at last i had some really big trouble to edit my work because sketch up reached its limits to process the data. Therefore i cannot continue the 3D model using Sketch up. i think i want to use 123D design from Autodesk, but i need some time to train working with it.
Finally i want to show my work. Its the Bauhaus MBT-42 (Main Battle Tank) Wolf. I created it in 1:1 scale to create realistic proportion. The only reference i had are the picture, rules and text from the old Bauhaus MC sourcebook. Basically it follows the Land Battleship philosophy that come up between the two big World Wars, resulting in the creation of the Sowjet T-35.

T-35:

As already mentioned i want to create more realistic proportions. I scale down what looks like a big ventilation system and resize the side turrets to create space for the gunner. I remove the cheek "turrets" and upgrade the rear turret into a twin mounted AA turret with two MG 40.
As mentioned above, the model is not finished. it lacks many details like optics, foot boards, handles and spotlights. Bit i like it and enjoy the time and work i invested to create it.

Post subject: Re: Bauhaus MBT-42 Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:58 am 

Looks interesting... However, it may have a very low hull space, which could be a problem. Bauhaus seem to make tanks for siege warfare, FIBUA or other slow, methodical assaults. Most of these feature rough and broken ground, so a higher ground clearance would be needed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:55 am 

The ground clearance is actually 500mm. There are several other things i would chance. leveling down the hight of the main structure and integrating the front Turrets more into the structure. More curves. The whole modell looks a little bit bulky and needs a reshape. Its still the reproduction of the original from the MC universe.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:20 pm 

Nice job... please make it more curvy and more bulky turret, however it should have smaller profile then Grizzly.. for some technical reason we got smaller Grizzly tank than it suppose to be, so this one should be slightly smaller - according to fluff Grizzly was the biggest except Bauhaus Great Infurior cannon and similar field cannons. Maybe for the start Capitol will be more easier to process or even Imperial (yeah playing both and need more heavies :D but their stuff is not so bulky and curvy and main design rather similar to existing vehicles).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm 

500mm to the bottom of those skirts? That makes for one Huuuuuge tank!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:00 am 

Jep, the clearance between the lowest part of the hull and the ground is 500mm. I´ve collect specifications from modern and WW2 Tanks like the german Tiger Tank II and sowiet t-35 to find the correct measurement. The Gun Barrels had the proper caliber and lenght, only the Main Gun is a 18cm L/20 (Lenght of the barrel is the calibre in cm x 20. The designation system is differnt from country to country and chances several times) making it a howitzer instead of a Anti-Tank Gun. The lenght is actual 3600mm, partially extending into the Turret. A Anti Tank Gun should have a lenght between L/30 and L/45, makig the barrel excessively long.
The Dimensions (L/H/W) are ~8500mm/~3800mm/~5000mm. The 3D model is a little bit longer but less tall.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:26 pm 

It can be a bit of a trap to assume modern standards (or even WWII standards!) for design- ref the guns.

Despite a ban on AI and other electronics research, materials science would progress. It is conceivable that advances in ammunition technology would negate the need for a long-caliber gun (HEAT and HESH rounds are modern examples)