It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: OFFICIAL FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:55 am 

I was wondering about sentry auto guns and their rules. Already asked before in the forum but the toptic wasn´t completely answered:

Sentry auto guns:
Not much to find in the rulebook about those.
-As far as I understand only the Powerloader can put up sentry guns?
-Is these a rule for how many can be in the game at once? How many can the loader put up?
-after one sentry guns is destroyed can you just put up a new one? (if there is a rule about how many guns maximum)
-The sentry guns have the skill auto sentry. So that means they are always in sentry mode. (don´t have to extra put them in sentry). Makes sense.
The ROT is 4. That means they can reroll the RS skill 4 times on a model that walks into LOS. That´s clear.
But after the sentry guns have shot, will they still be active and in sentry or get deactivated like other models which used up their action points?
I mean, after shooting one model, will they be able to keep shooting in this turn, if another enemy model walks into LOS, or be deactivated and have to wait for next game turn? If you keep using them (which would be realistic and movie accurate) they are way too powerful and blow away most everything that comes around the corner. Especially with their ROT4...

-It has ROA4. means 4 times can try to roll a RS test for shooting. If I would want to make "more use" of the sentry gun, might I also wait till several aliens would be in LOS and can shoot several models? As I read if you have several ROA attacks, you could shoot/close combat several models (reroll tests for one or, if killed, use the rest attacks on other models?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:19 pm 

Xerxesz wrote:
OK, then an other suggestion:

'Weld It Shut!' extended action
Correction: Any Marine model of Troop Type can spend 2 ACTION POINTS to remove 1 Air Vent Tile from play permanently (you don't have to seal both ends of the air vent tile).

Yes, it should read two Action Points. The seccond comment is completely unneccessary :) Having played the game with over 80 different people, not a single one raised that question :P

freefallrlc wrote:
I was wondering about sentry auto guns and their rules. Already asked before in the forum but the toptic wasn´t completely answered:

Sentry auto guns:
-Is these a rule for how many can be in the game at once? How many can the loader put up?
-after one sentry guns is destroyed can you just put up a new one? (if there is a rule about how many guns maximum)
-The sentry guns have the skill auto sentry. So that means they are always in sentry mode. (don´t have to extra put them in sentry). Makes sense.
The ROT is 4. That means they can reroll the RS skill 4 times on a model that walks into LOS. That´s clear.
But after the sentry guns have shot, will they still be active and in sentry or get deactivated like other models which used up their action points?
I mean, after shooting one model, will they be able to keep shooting in this turn, if another enemy model walks into LOS, or be deactivated and have to wait for next game turn? If you keep using them (which would be realistic and movie accurate) they are way too powerful and blow away most everything that comes around the corner. Especially with their ROT4...

-It has ROA4. means 4 times can try to roll a RS test for shooting. If I would want to make "more use" of the sentry gun, might I also wait till several aliens would be in LOS and can shoot several models? As I read if you have several ROA attacks, you could shoot/close combat several models (reroll tests for one or, if killed, use the rest attacks on other models?

Heh lots of questions :)
Yes, it is not clarified on how you "pick up" and "set up" your Sentry Guns.
I suugest the following course of action:
1. A you deploy them along the rest of the force, pre-set up, or you start them "mounted" on a Power Loader. I would suggest that a power loader may carry one Sentry Gun at a time.
2. A Power Loader may Pick up or Deploy a Sentry Gun at the expense of an Interract Action.
3. Any Sentry Guns not on the board at the begining of a turn come into play "deactivated". Place an activation token next to them.

The Sentry Guns have a Rate of Fire of 4. That means that they can roll 4 dice when they shoot, just like any other weapon. The "re-roll" applies only once to each die, so you cannot "make 4 re-rolls", rather you *may* re-roll each die once. If you decide to keep your first roll, you don't get to use that re-roll later, you lost it. Also, all attacks must happen at the same time, just like any other model. So if you can only see one target and you kill it with your first shot, the other three are wasted.

After you shoot with your Sentry Gun, you can only Pass (should be mentioned that you can only use Sentry, Shoot or PASS actions, I believe Prodos thought that "Pass" is automatic option for all models). Using a Sentry token allows you to either "shoot" "move" or "slash" an enemy. Since you can only do each action only once, and Sentry Guns cannot Move or Slash, you only get to pass.

Yes, the exact timing of your weapon's firing is your choice. You can wait untill you have an optimum number of enemies and then shoot or shoot at the end of game turn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:27 pm 

Chronomancer wrote:
Xerxesz wrote:
OK, then an other suggestion:

'Weld It Shut!' extended action
Correction: Any Marine model of Troop Type can spend 2 ACTION POINTS to remove 1 Air Vent Tile from play permanently (you don't have to seal both ends of the air vent tile).

Yes, it should read two Action Points. The seccond comment is completely unneccessary :) Having played the game with over 80 different people, not a single one raised that question :P

freefallrlc wrote:

Sentry auto guns:

Heh lots of questions :)
Yes, it is not clarified on how you "pick up" and "set up" your Sentry Guns.
I suugest the following course of action:
1. A you deploy them along the rest of the force, pre-set up, or you start them "mounted" on a Power Loader. I would suggest that a power loader may carry one Sentry Gun at a time.
2. A Power Loader may Pick up or Deploy a Sentry Gun at the expense of an Interract Action.
3. Any Sentry Guns not on the board at the begining of a turn come into play "deactivated". Place an activation token next to them.

The Sentry Guns have a Rate of Fire of 4. That means that they can roll 4 dice when they shoot, just like any other weapon. The "re-roll" applies only once to each die, so you cannot "make 4 re-rolls", rather you *may* re-roll each die once. If you decide to keep your first roll, you don't get to use that re-roll later, you lost it. Also, all attacks must happen at the same time, just like any other model. So if you can only see one target and you kill it with your first shot, the other three are wasted.

After you shoot with your Sentry Gun, you can only Pass (should be mentioned that you can only use Sentry, Shoot or PASS actions, I believe Prodos thought that "Pass" is automatic option for all models). Using a Sentry token allows you to either "shoot" "move" or "slash" an enemy. Since you can only do each action only once, and Sentry Guns cannot Move or Slash, you only get to pass.

Yes, the exact timing of your weapon's firing is your choice. You can wait untill you have an optimum number of enemies and then shoot or shoot at the end of game turn.

Thanks for the clarification! I have some ideas for the rules:
I think it makes sense and would be realistic that the powerloader can only carry 1 sentry gun at the time. The powerloader may start the game with carrying one from the beginning. But while carrying the gun he can´t fight. Only move. To be able to CC he has to spend one interact point to drop/pick up the sentry gun.
After deploying it somewhere on the board, it may pick up another one from the Marine´s starting tile/room and carry it again to the place he wants to deploy. Maximum on the board/per game is 4 sentry guns. But with the walking back and carrying it to the deploying area, it probably won´t happen that more than 2 guns will be in the game anyways. Unless the aliens or Predators pass the first 20 turns haha.
Normal marines can also deploy a sentry gun but not carry it. So marines can only deploy it on their starting tile (where their equipment is stored)

I´m still unsure about the ROA. Some say, if you have several ROA, you can use the attacks on various models. Like ROA3, first RS test failed, second passed, alien is dead. then you could use the remaining ROA point on another model. Yould be good like this on a sentry gun of you wait till you have several targets in LOS.
But the rulebook says:
RoA - Rate of Attack. The amount of a Skill tests that
can be made during a Ranged or Close Combat Attack.

Sounds more like you have more tries to pass a CC or RS test on only one attacked model.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:59 am 

freefallrlc wrote:
I´m still unsure about the ROA. Some say, if you have several ROA, you can use the attacks on various models. Like ROA3, first RS test failed, second passed, alien is dead. then you could use the remaining ROA point on another model. Yould be good like this on a sentry gun of you wait till you have several targets in LOS.
But the rulebook says:
RoA - Rate of Attack. The amount of a Skill tests that
can be made during a Ranged or Close Combat Attack.

Sounds more like you have more tries to pass a CC or RS test on only one attacked model.

That is correct. If you have RoA/RoF you can attack several models by rolling one die at a time, as long as you can draw line of sight to them. So it is best if you wait for enemies to gather in numbers, rather than fire all 4 shots on one stalker. But when you decide to shoot/attack, you must then END that shooting and can't hold any remaining dice for later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:45 pm 

New questions :
About deployment, Marines must deploy their troops on a Room Tile as do Predators on Predator Pod Tile.
What if there is more marines than Room Tile could contain ?
What if there is more predators than Predator Pod Tile could countain ?

Can we play campaign in advanced rule in this conditions ?
For exemple, in mission 4, there is only two Rooms Tiles. The first is the marine’s deployement Tile and the second is their objective to damage…
Obviously, if the Marines can start this mission on this Tile, they will win easily…

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:48 am 

Abjugardiel wrote:
New questions :
About deployment, Marines must deploy their troops on a Room Tile as do Predators on Predator Pod Tile.
What if there is more marines than Room Tile could contain ?
What if there is more predators than Predator Pod Tile could countain ?

Can we play campaign in advanced rule in this conditions ?
For exemple, in mission 4, there is only two Rooms Tiles. The first is the marine’s deployement Tile and the second is their objective to damage…
Obviously, if the Marines can start this mission on this Tile, they will win easily…

True story. I suggest one of the following:
1: use less models so that they fit
2: increase the size limit for rooms and decrease the number of size limit of the dead end tiles (half tiles).
3: place extra models directly outside the rooms/corridors they are designated to start (remember that a predator has one straight corridor and one end tile, rare not to fit).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:21 pm 

In advenced rules,
do aliens have to take an HQ?

rules say p.52:
10.1.2 Alien Force List
1. Organisation Chart : Hive: Troop types – at least 50%
of total hive points, 0–50% Support, 1–2 HQ.
2. Maximum number of Models per squad type: no
restrictions.

but the exemple p.53 don't use HQ...
Steve’s Alien Force List:
Troop type:
Facehugger 6 x 5 pts. = 30 pts.
Alien Stalker 6 x 15 pts. = 90 pts.
Alien Infant Warrior 3 x 12 pts. = 36 pts.
Support Type:
Alien Warrior 2 x 22 pts. = 44 pts.
Total = 200 pts.